Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2004, 23:42   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys ,
Have you noticed this?? When ever you pull the Wiper stalk, the wiper moves first and then the water is sprayed on the windshield. Isnt this harmful for the windshield. If theres lotsa dust on the windshield, wiping it dry with a wiper can cause numerous scratches on it. The water shud spray first so that the wiper can move smoothly without scratchin the windshield.

Is there any solution to this???
Old 5th March 2004, 01:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

No such problems in the Vtec. The spray and wipers can be controlled separately. So i always spray and wait till the WS is sufficiently wet and then i use the wipers.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 5th March 2004, 01:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ya some how my spray and wipers start at the same time but so far havent got that problem of wipers starting first

Cheers
Old 5th March 2004, 01:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

No probs in the Conti as well. The wipers have to be started manually. Spray first and wipe later.
Old 6th March 2004, 13:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hahahaha...V12, cool topic.....i was just complaining about something similar a week back, i JUSt saw this topic...

anyway, i think its coz on cars which have the spray and wipe as one (pull) switch the spray pump/motor and the wiper motor are on the same circuit so as soon as u put turn the circuit ON the wipers start moving and the water starts being pumped, but sometimes the water has flowed back down the pipe a bit so it takes a bit of time to squirt out, hence the slight delay where the wipers scrape the windsheild!....

a workaround for this would be to put a delay on the wiper motor part of the circuit, but this obviously costs an extra few Rs. and hence im sure has been left out as unneccessary by most car manufacturers here!

Another thing that IRRITATES me is the fact that when u spray the water and the wipers come on...WHY DOES IT ALWAYS GO ONE MORE TIME THAN NECESSARY!@?!? .....ie after the water has been wiped of the wiper makes one last trip on the dried windshield and scratches it a bit!... that irritates me!..and that is work aroundable...but i guess they just prefer the windshield to be perfectly dry and with minor minor scratches than risk it being slightly wet...... (esp in countries with temps lower than freezing ;-]

cya
Old 6th March 2004, 16:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that in some cars like the Merc S 600, the wipers start working the moment water falls on the WS. It's supposed to have some sensors that start the wipers as soon as they detect water on the WS.

JC mentioned this in the Merc S 600 video.

Regards..
Shan2nu
Old 7th March 2004, 01:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yup Shan2nu thats true,

From experience i can say that the 540 does that as well as putting on the lights automatically when it is dark.

It does a really good job, not only does it put on the wipers automatically, but it also adjusts the speed correctly depending on how much rain there is. The only thing is that u have to switch it on for the first time (becoz otherwise the wipers would come on during a car wash etc etc)

cya
Old 18th July 2005, 06:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Why only S600 and such? This is a common feature now. I'm sure GTO's new C is also having this.
Old 18th July 2005, 08:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

In the new VW Golf, not only does the wipers for a couple of sweeps after the spray. It does an additional sweep after 30 sec to can any drips that come down.
Old 18th July 2005, 13:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12

Is there any solution to this???

the only solution is that you avoid using teh wiper usless the WS is wet .if its only dust,you can alway s get down and wipe witha cloth.

but during rains ,its better if the WS is wet,as this also helps in prolonging the wiper life.

and when cleaning teh car ,it helps in wiping the rubber blades with a clean cloth.
Old 18th July 2005, 15:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

In Fiat Palio, the wipoers don't switch on when you spray water. You have to do it manually. But the rear wiper is automatic, the wiper switches on along with the water spray.
Old 18th July 2005, 16:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

The skoda rs has this feature. It works when the water falls and flows down the windscreen, where some kinda sensor is there, i think.....
Old 18th July 2005, 19:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

depends on the car, maruti vehicles have this thing of simultaneously working of wiper with washer, and washer there is a delay for the pump to push the liquid from the tank.. no such worries with iKON both are seperate.. and VW idea of a selay wipe after 30 sec to remove the drip seems to be real kewl
Old 18th July 2005, 19:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Is it true that in some cars like the Merc S 600, the wipers start working the moment water falls on the WS. It's supposed to have some sensors that start the wipers as soon as they detect water on the WS.

JC mentioned this in the Merc S 600 video.

Regards..
Shan2nu
Even some of the newer Peugeots (including the 307, I think) have rain-sensitive wipers.
Old 18th July 2005, 19:56   #15
BHPian

In my maruti you can counter this problems by flicking the knob fast a few times and not kepping it depressed.. Just flicking it sprays little amt. of water w/o the wiper starting..
Usually 3-4 flicks are enough to wet the w.screen sufficiently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks