Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 23:28   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Your front discs have got warped. Get them machined or get new ones along with new pads. It will be as good as new.
+ 1.

Please read the below link to know more about brake warping. I am also facing this issue in my WagonR now (although its noticeable when braking from around 100 kmph), and planning to visit the service center sometime next week to get the brakes checked.

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/brakewarp.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th December 2011 at 23:32.
Old 8th December 2011, 00:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hi Guys ,

I drive a Swift VXI (NON ABS) 2006 model . Car has completed 30,000 KMS .

Issue I am facing is when I am at high speed i.e more then 80km/h and I brake hard , I feel vibration in brake pedal and well as in the cabin itself like whole car is shivering or something.

When I apply brakes gradually at same speed everything feels fine that is no vibration in brake pedal or in the car.
Quote:
Your front discs have got warped. Get them machined or get new ones along with new pads. It will be as good as new.
+1 . Get your discs checked.IMO the symptoms indicate that you need to change the discs.
Old 8th December 2011, 00:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Is it normal for discs to go bad at just 30,000 KMS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+ 1.

Please read the below link to know more about brake warping. I am also facing this issue in my WagonR now (although its noticeable when braking from around 100 kmph), and planning to visit the service center sometime next week to get the brakes checked.

Brake Repair
Any idea how much replacing the discs and pads cost ? Also is it dangerous to use car like this for somemore time say 2-3 k Kms
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
+1 . Get your discs checked.IMO the symptoms indicate that you need to change the discs.
Old 8th December 2011, 04:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it normal for discs to go bad at just 30,000 KMS?

Any idea how much replacing the discs and pads cost ? Also is it dangerous to use car like this for somemore time say 2-3 k Kms
Well because of non use, rust develops on the disc and hardens up ever time causing uneveness. My Swift diesel had a warped rotor because of only 2 thousand kilometre use in 9 months. Although it was a minor judder I got while braking at high speeds i decided to get it changed due to the fun factor being compromised. This was at 20 thousand kilometre's.

Discs cost around 3500 and pads another 1700 at MASS. So for around 6 grand you should be back to shudder less brakes.

Its not dangerous to use a car like this but it will cause extra strain on parts like wheel bearings, tie rods etc. My advice would be to get it changed.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:47   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Well because of non use, rust develops on the disc and hardens up ever time causing uneveness. My Swift diesel had a warped rotor because of only 2 thousand kilometre use in 9 months. Although it was a minor judder I got while braking at high speeds i decided to get it changed due to the fun factor being compromised. This was at 20 thousand kilometre's.

Discs cost around 3500 and pads another 1700 at MASS. So for around 6 grand you should be back to shudder less brakes.

Its not dangerous to use a car like this but it will cause extra strain on parts like wheel bearings, tie rods etc. My advice would be to get it changed.
Thanks , will be visiting MASS this weekend , Will get the inspection done . 1 last question , if discs are rusted can we get them "cleaned" with sand blast paper?
Old 8th December 2011, 20:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks , will be visiting MASS this weekend , Will get the inspection done . 1 last question , if discs are rusted can we get them "cleaned" with sand blast paper?
Well, you could try but mostly in your case it wont remove the irregularities which would have formed over time. The only solution in your case is machining or replacement.
Old 8th December 2011, 23:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
will be visiting MASS this weekend , Will get the inspection done . 1 last question , if discs are rusted can we get them "cleaned" with sand blast paper?
As others suggested, get the discs phased/replaced and get a new set of brake pads. Since you didnt use the car for good 2 years, the brake pads would have gone hard. And hard pads would have resulted in uneven wear of discs.. Usually, this problem comes in either ABS cars or if you havent driven the car for a long time.

I'd recommend you get the discs phased outside and get a set of TRW brake pads, if you know any reliable mechanic outside. This shouldnt cost you over 2k from outside (1k for pads, 3-400 for phasing and about 300 labour.)
Old 17th July 2012, 13:51   #53

Re: Hopeless braking on Swift - Anyone sharing ?

The braking in Swift LDi and VDi is hope less. In ZDI its good compare with the other two due to the alloy wheels(low wheel weight) and ABS(just stability this is not decreasing the stopping distance).

One more thing I have noticed is that when the speed decreases to a certain limit, the engine is increasing the rpm to avoid engine knocking(this is not a correct word, tell me what to say about this), so you have to press the clutch to get maximum stopping power(i know this sounds crazy!) at low rpms

when you are braking from 100 kmph when its reaching around 40 kmph you have press the clutch otherwise the engine rpm increases automatically(as like when you switch on AC)and it seems the braking suddenly decreased and the vehicle is running as like the brakes are not working.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:38   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute View Post
The braking in Swift LDi and VDi is hope less. In ZDI its good compare with the other two due to the alloy wheels(low wheel weight) and ABS(just stability this is not decreasing the stopping distance).

One more thing I have noticed is that when the speed decreases to a certain limit, the engine is increasing the rpm to avoid engine knocking(this is not a correct word, tell me what to say about this), so you have to press the clutch to get maximum stopping power(i know this sounds crazy!) at low rpms

when you are braking from 100 kmph when its reaching around 40 kmph you have press the clutch otherwise the engine rpm increases automatically(as like when you switch on AC)and it seems the braking suddenly decreased and the vehicle is running as like the brakes are not working.

The main reason why ZDI/ZXI has better is because of a better brake booster in those versions.Even VDI has ABS but still the braking is pathetic
Old 17th July 2012, 15:50   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute View Post
Let me point you to the correct thread - Link -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The main reason why ZDI/ZXI has better is because of a better brake booster in those versions.Even VDI has ABS but still the braking is pathetic
The 3rd generation Swift VDI doesn't have ABS.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:52   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

The 3rd generation Swift VDI doesn't have ABS.

Oops, didnt know the new VDI does not come with ABS!
Old 17th July 2012, 18:01   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Booster is different for ZDi and others? I dont know. Is this the same for the old Dzire and Old Swift?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks