Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 20:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
So it'll be really helpful if anyone can give some reference to some good mechanic who can do it properly.
Regards,

There's a guy named stephen on Ulsoor (lake) road, behind some college BHMS or something..dont remember. Sundar service station near gangadhara chetty road..if i remember it correctly. He is supposed to be one of the best mechanics especially when it comes to Maruti cars. Check with him. He should be able to help you...
Old 27th May 2009, 14:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Thatis normal feedback.
Stuff rubbing against each other.

Press it harder, warm it up, and there will be no such sound.
But after driving for 30 odd kms isnt it warm enough ?

In my case, if i apply breaks when i just start moving my car i dont get that sound, it comes only after car has travelled more distance and when i slow down either because of traffic or speed breakers

Last edited by rajshenoy : 27th May 2009 at 14:28.
Old 27th May 2009, 17:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishk View Post
There's a guy named stephen on Ulsoor (lake) road, behind some college BHMS or something..dont remember. Sundar service station near gangadhara chetty road..if i remember it correctly. He is supposed to be one of the best mechanics especially when it comes to Maruti cars. Check with him. He should be able to help you...
Thanks, let me see if I can get some time to drive down there. BTW, where is this Gangadhara Shetty road? I mean, which area or Bangalore?
Old 27th May 2009, 17:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think I got it, it's near RBANMS college, am I right?
Old 31st May 2009, 11:19   #35
BHPian

Guys, I took the car for second service at CARS India, Kottivakkam, Chennai and also told them about the braking issue. The service manager came with me and he tried hard braking and the car was trying hard to brake, when it should have already stopped... Explained the situation and he said he will deliver the car at my office.

2pm, i get a call and the car is in front of my office...

Man, the brakes are awesome now. I do not know what they did. He said, he has done a bleeding and cleaned the brakes for all 4 tyres...

Now, i do not have to worry about braking anymore... Others can also try doing the same...
Old 31st May 2009, 20:20   #36
BHPian

I did my Brake pad change at Stephens place. Need to visit him sometime soon.
Old 1st June 2009, 00:26   #37
BHPian

@ Abhay, I get my swift serviced and maintained from Tune Up plus, Baner. Try taking the car to his place.I think he should be able to help you out. Pretty knowledgeable fellow. His name is Abhijeet btw.
You can give him my reference. Its the same place where i got my new rotors fitted.
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:46   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
the Swift has very good brakes ! Personally I think they're not linear, & a tad over-servoed...
srini, you have other people also holding the same opinion that you do. The Swift's brakes are definitely far too over-servoed, don't behave in a linear relation to the amount of pressure applied, and tend to lock up/make the ABS kick in too frequently. I drive a ZXi, and don't feel too happy with the braking system behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
...brakes lacking the bite. In my swift its very hard to get the brakes to lock thats how bad they are.
...i will change to better quality after market break shoes.
@ tazmaan: Swift brakes are known to lock up, even with the standard factory-fitted setup. Your car's braking system is at fault here. And better quality pads won't help (I think you mean brake pads, not shoes), if the hydraulics/servo are at fault.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:00   #39
udaykars

hey.. i have got some to share here. i feel that swift has very good braking, however the stock tyres don't compliment it [165 tyres]. i have a friend who faced similar problem.. he upgraded to yokohoma 195 tyres and says it brakes like hell.

Old 7th July 2009, 10:54   #40

I bought a maruti swift dzire zdi esp. because i will get abs for good braking. but the brakes are the WORST of all the cars I have driven ( except 800 and omni).

what the hell the maruti doing by giving these kind of useless braking system for a car with enthusiastic engine like fiat multijet.

i really worry i bought this car. maruti people are real idiots and irresponsible.

Is there any way to improve braking?
Old 7th July 2009, 11:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Guys, even i think Swift has some problem in braking or atleast mine has... Mine is a new Swift VDi without ABS, done 4250 kms till now.

Yesterday i was driving down from Bangalore to Mysore on the highway at around 80-90 kmph. It was a peaceful drive till a racing ikon went past me and in about 150 meters, slowed down to stop, due to a speed braker. I had around 50m to recognize and stop the car.

I had applied the brake fully and even 50m wasnt enough for the car to slow down. Thankfully, there was space on the left side edge of the road and i was saved.

I couldnt image what would've happened if that space wasn't there. I have lost confidence on that road and that i wasnt driving more than 60-70kmph and i have started being very defensive...

Not very confident on Swift brakes. Can anyone provide me some panic braking tips please?
i also experience same type of situation two or three times and now i lost total confidence in driving my dzire zdi. the car is having good engine and a lot of good stuffs but what is the use if it doenst stop on time.

this is what i am doing now for buying this car.

Last edited by F50 : 7th July 2009 at 11:34. Reason: 2 smilies per post
Old 7th December 2011, 18:42   #42
BHPian

Braking issues in Swift

Hi Guys ,

I drive a Swift VXI (NON ABS) 2006 model . Car has completed 30,000 KMS .

Issue I am facing is when I am at high speed i.e more then 80km/h and I brake hard , I feel vibration in brake pedal and well as in the cabin itself like whole car is shivering or something.

When I apply brakes gradually at same speed everything feels fine that is no vibration in brake pedal or in the car.

Braking is otherwise fine and above mentioned issue is only noticed when I brake hard/suddenly at higher speeds .

Car is ruuning on stock tyres and rims.

1 more thing to add , Car was not used for almost 2 years as I was out of India but after coming back as suggested by bhpians I got it serviced at authorised service station and got all the oils changed and asked them to look for any snapped cable etc.

Can anyone please help me with this ?

Regards

MODS please delete/move this thread if it violates any forum rules. I tried to search before opening the thread but didn't found anything relevent.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:25   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Braking issues in Swift

Wow, are you sure you didn't get the ABS version by mistake? That would be awesome!

Was the road wet when you braked hard? Sometimes braking hard on a smooth surface (like an expressway) could make it appear like the car vibrates before stopping. Since this doesn't happen when you slow down gradually, my only suggestion would be: don't brake hard! Except of ourse when in an emergency.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wow, are you sure you didn't get the ABS version by mistake? That would be awesome!

Was the road wet when you braked hard? Sometimes braking hard on a smooth surface (like an expressway) could make it appear like the car vibrates before stopping. Since this doesn't happen when you slow down gradually, my only suggestion would be: don't brake hard! Except of ourse when in an emergency.
No the road was not wet when I did that .

Yes I did it on DND Expressway . But even when we do it on smooth surface vibrations should not be there in the brake pedal I guess.
Old 7th December 2011, 21:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Your front discs have got warped. Get them machined or get new ones along with new pads. It will be as good as new.

Most Viewed