Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 15:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Cost of setting up a car & bike care business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
As I am going to start my detailing venture shortly and as I mentioned, it will be a one-man show to start with. I am a beginner.
And I am in the market for a DA Polisher (since DA is best to start as a detailer compared to rotary and others).
And I see that rupes is the best brand to go with (In India).

Is LHR15 Mark lll a good choice to start with? - Any other recommendations?
And where can I buy it? How much would it cost?
LHR15 or 21 for that matter are some of the best orbital polishers one can buy, it’s around 28-30k online, check Amazon/Industry buying.

Although, having been in your shoes many years ago I’d suggest getting a rotary over an orbital/DA polisher as your first machine, nothing comes close to the refinement/smoothness and quick cutting ability a rotary has, in online detailing forums the learning curve is made out to be massive, not so in reality. Put in 1 hr of machine polishing 5 days a week for a month and you’ll be proficient at it. As time goes on you’ll get even better.

As this is will be your only machine (for awhile at least) you want something that’s versatile in terms of its cutting and finishing ability and it should accept a variety of backing plates from 0.25” to 7” depending on the job at hand. An orbital/dual action machine cannot be used with smaller backing plates and for micro polishing very small areas like a rotary can.

Also, as a detailer you’ll very often come across cars that have had a few panels repainted and you’ll need a machine that can remove heavy sanding scratches left by the body shop quickly and efficiently, and a rotary will perform much better here than any long throw 15 or 21mm orbital.

Since you’re just starting out I’d suggest getting a cheaper machine first to learn and become proficient and then graduate to a Rupes/Flex. A Bosch rotary polisher for eg. will give you 90% of the Rupes LH19E performance at a fraction of the cost. Also check out Makita rotary polishers in case you want an equally high quality alternative to the Rupes. You can’t really go wrong with any of these. Dewalt is also excellent but a little bit on the heavier side for beginners. Expect the Bosch to be around 9k and Rupes LH19E around 16-17k, Makita is around 19k.

Are you planning on mobile detailing or fixed location?

Last edited by AJ56 : 8th December 2021 at 15:43.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 17:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
LHR15 or 21 for that matter are some of the best orbital polishers one can buy, it’s around 28-30k online, check Amazon/Industry buying.

Although, having been in your shoes many years ago I’d suggest getting a rotary over an orbital/DA polisher as your first machine, nothing comes close to the refinement/smoothness and quick cutting ability a rotary has, in online detailing forums the learning curve is made out to be massive, not so in reality. Put in 1 hr of machine polishing 5 days a week for a month and you’ll be proficient at it. As time goes on you’ll get even better.

As this is will be your only machine (for awhile at least) you want something that’s versatile in terms of its cutting and finishing ability and it should accept a variety of backing plates from 0.25” to 7” depending on the job at hand. An orbital/dual action machine cannot be used with smaller backing plates and for micro polishing very small areas like a rotary can.

Also, as a detailer you’ll very often come across cars that have had a few panels repainted and you’ll need a machine that can remove heavy sanding scratches left by the body shop quickly and efficiently, and a rotary will perform much better here than any long throw 15 or 21mm orbital.

Since you’re just starting out I’d suggest getting a cheaper machine first to learn and become proficient and then graduate to a Rupes/Flex. A Bosch rotary polisher for eg. will give you 90% of the Rupes LH19E performance at a fraction of the cost. Also check out Makita rotary polishers in case you want an equally high quality alternative to the Rupes. You can’t really go wrong with any of these. Dewalt is also excellent but a little bit on the heavier side for beginners. Expect the Bosch to be around 9k and Rupes LH19E around 16-17k, Makita is around 19k.

Are you planning on mobile detailing or fixed location?
Thank you for your inputs and advice.

Why does Bosch cost 50% less when it does 90% of work compared to Rupes/Makita? I dont mind spending around 16-17K for rupes or 19K for Makita provided there is something significant that I am missing in Bosch. If not I will go for Bosch. Please advice.
And is this good enough to start with - https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-7-inch-1.../dp/B00J5EM9H4

I am now planning to do it from my home where I have parking space. My plan is to first start with word of mouth and know circles/groups ONLY for which I think I can do it from my home itself.
Old 8th December 2021, 18:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your inputs and advice.

Why does Bosch cost 50% less when it does 90% of work compared to Rupes/Makita? I dont mind spending around 16-17K for rupes or 19K for Makita provided there is something significant that I am missing in Bosch. If not I will go for Bosch. Please advice.
And is this good enough to start with - https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-7-inch-1.../dp/B00J5EM9H4

I am now planning to do it from my home where I have parking space. My plan is to first start with word of mouth and know circles/groups ONLY for which I think I can do it from my home itself.
The same reason an E class costs 40% of an S class while offering 70-80% of the same experience. You’re paying for the Rupes brand name and Italian heritage. Practically speaking there is very little difference in actual performance in terms of smoothness, power and number of speeds available. Both are well built machines designed to last many years.

Please don’t use that Amazon link as it’s very overpriced at 15k, enter the model number and do a google search you’ll get many sites selling at 9-10k. You can also get it through a local Bosch india distributor (check their website for a dealer list and contact info).

It’s great that you’re doing it from home, make sure it’s legal to operate commercially as many residential areas don’t allow. Would highly recommend you either practice on your own car or get a few old dark coloured panels from an auto body repair shop to get familiar with the polisher before using on a customers car. Also avoid heavy cut compounds until you’re confident with less aggressive polishes first. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The same reason an E class costs 40% of an S class while offering 70-80% of the same experience. You’re paying for the Rupes brand name and Italian heritage. Practically speaking there is very little difference in actual performance in terms of smoothness, power and number of speeds available. Both are well built machines designed to last many years.
How about this https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...-start/dwp849x

Is it a bad/equal/better option compared to Bosch? I spoke to a dealer now. While Bosch offers only 6 months warranty, DeWalt offers 2 years warranty. Bosch is 9.5K while DeWalt is 10.5K. I get a 1.5years additional warranty for 1K more.
Do you recommend DeWalt ?
Old 8th December 2021, 20:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
How about this https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...-start/dwp849x

Is it a bad/equal/better option compared to Bosch? I spoke to a dealer now. While Bosch offers only 6 months warranty, DeWalt offers 2 years warranty. Bosch is 9.5K while DeWalt is 10.5K. I get a 1.5years additional warranty for 1K more.
Do you recommend DeWalt ?
Yes get the DeWalt then, very solid machine. Not the lightest polisher but not a deal breaker either. It’s better built than the Bosch no doubt. Make sure you keep a spare set of carbon brushes as those are the only frequently replaced maintenance parts on a polisher.
Old 15th December 2021, 19:58   #36
BHPian

I spoke to some detailing people around. I did some online research as well. They recommend going with a DA polisher than a rotary one for obvious reasons of easy and safe to use while also producing the desired results.

Now I am ever more confused about whether to go with DA or Rotary? Is either of them, what is your recommendation, and why?
Old 18th December 2021, 12:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to some detailing people around. I did some online research as well. They recommend going with a DA polisher than a rotary one for obvious reasons of easy and safe to use while also producing the desired results.

Now I am ever more confused about whether to go with DA or Rotary? Is either of them, what is your recommendation, and why?
Please read my earlier post again, I have explained why it’s better than a DA/orbital machine. Speaking as someone who’s self taught and has used all 3 machine types extensively for a decade, if I was in your shoes I would pick the rotary hands down, whatever a DA/orbital does, the rotary does faster and better and is much smoother to operate. As a detailer you’ll be clocking a lot of hours on your first machine be it practising or working on clients’ cars, you want a machine that has as little vibration as possible in the interest of your health and hand/arm muscles, and the rotary is the least tiring to operate.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 16:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you think is the cost of setting up a detailing business?
What are the most needed things and what are the things that are good to have?
When can I become profitable?
Did you manage to start your detailing setup? Are you gong to do bikes too? If you are going to polish bikes you need a machine that has a smaller backing plate to take a smaller pad. Have you factored in cost of pads. Thats going to be one of your most purchased items along with microfiber cloth and other comsumables. Pads need to be cleaned or changed (to be washed later) after a couple of body panels are polished due to build up of clear coat and compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Something to consider, not sure how practical it is for you. I always hear about shortage of reliable talent. Issues with getting a good rental at a desirable location. Mobile car detailing is very popular in other countries. It is done out of a van such as a Tempo traveller, or a pickup truck. You would need a good generator, a water tank, pressure washer, foamer, polishers, vacuum and such.

If you believe in dignity of labor, its the way to go.
How true. This would be the best way to go for a one man start up... but why do I get the feeling it don't work here... Something I would love to do though

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
If you're looking at the essentials of starting a detailing business, check out the YouTube channel of Dallas Paint Correction. This guy covers the basics of starting.
you're absolutely right.. a video to inspire Livnletcarsliv
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 14:49   #39
BHPian

What are the options for me to buy the accessories like cutting pads, buffing pads, finishing pads, mitts, MF cloths, clay bars, compounds, and polishes?
Old 11th February 2022, 21:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
What are the options for me to buy the accessories like cutting pads, buffing pads, finishing pads, mitts, MF cloths, clay bars, compounds, and polishes?
Plenty of options, you can look up the official distributors for the specific brands you’re looking to buy, for eg. ultimatedetailerz is the authorised distributor for Carpro in India, they have an online store as well. GreenZcarcare.com is another good site, all be it a little overpriced. Have you started yet?
Old 12th February 2022, 12:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Plenty of options, you can look up the official distributors for the specific brands you’re looking to buy, for eg. ultimatedetailerz is the authorised distributor for Carpro in India, they have an online store as well. GreenZcarcare.com is another good site, all be it a little overpriced. Have you started yet?
Yes started already.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 23:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Yes started already.
Hello, how's your detailing venture coming along? Are you still doing it? Would love to know about your experience.
Severus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 08:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
Hello, how's your detailing venture coming along? Are you still doing it? Would love to know about your experience.
Yes I am doing it. But just out of passion/interest. Not in terms of a business because it is did go as planned or expected.
Old 7th July 2023, 00:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am doing it. But just out of passion/interest. Not in terms of a business because it is did go as planned or expected.
May I ask what went wrong? If you don’t wish to say no problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks