Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2007, 18:45   #1
Team-BHP Support

Under-revving on my Baleno

Recently my Baleno is feeling a little less powerful. Couple of weeks back while I was scaling the incline at Murudeshwar, I found the car under-revved going into the incline. Although I completed the incline without incidence, it made me quite concerned. Then I started noticing that it is always under-revved while climbing inclines. It forces me to shift down, raise the rpm and shift up again. Now, this never used to happen before.

Getting into my home itself involves doing two inclines. Today I found myself struggling to manage that. Then I noticed the rpm at below 500. At first gear, climbing 30 degree incline, it was at the first notch on the tacho, even though I floored the accelerator, it made no difference. The tacho remained at there (300-400rpm) until I brought the car to halt. The rpms raised above 500 only after I put it into neutral.

So, what's happening guys? All the tires are at 30psi, it can't be the tires holding it back. What can cause this under-revving? I did some experimenting with the inclines. Flooring it has no effect. However, if I brake, raise the revvs, then dis-engage the clutch, it climbs as expected. But I can't understand this under-revving business.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2007, 19:23   #2
BANNED

Hi Samurai,

Its not your tyres/wheels positively. Its seems your idling is way too low which could be due to several reasons. I suggest you get the car checked by a service centre asap. Your idle rpm in a warm car without AC should be 700rpm or higher and 900-950 with AC.

Viper
Old 13th May 2007, 19:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

whoa how does it go so low without stalling. Is that the idle speed you mentioned when warm?

how's the pick up on level roads?

Sometimes on inclines not enough fuel may reach the intake possible due to a problem in the fuel pump or the fuel filter could be clogged.
Old 13th May 2007, 19:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Its not your tyres/wheels positively.
I know, but somebody always says tires must be under-inflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
whoa how does it go so low without stalling. Is that the idle speed you mentioned when warm?

how's the pick up on level roads?
On level roads it is not that noticeable, although I can feel it underpowered.

Yeah, it hasn't stalled until now, that is quite puzzling. Check this paragraph from Murudeshwar travelogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Finally we found our way up, and started climbing the hill in first gear. Then I realised my folly, I hadn't revved enough to make that gradient since I had underestimated it. Even though I floored it later, the car moved slowly and silently without any noise, I expected it to start knocking and shudder to stop any moment. That moment never came. It completed the crazy gradient and then came to life roaring when it reached flat ground. The rest of the gradient I took it in much higher revvs and made it to the parking lot smoothly.
Old 13th May 2007, 20:31   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Is your clutch slipping ?? Do you feel the car to be underpowered while driving on a smooth road ??
Old 13th May 2007, 20:55   #6
BHPian

I had a similar problem with my baleno....donno if its teh same with urs...
The car would under rev the same way,and the engine malfunction light would come on in teh dashboard....the car would start jerking slightly as it was under revving....
On getting it checked on a HI SCAN,the problem was directed to a faulty CAM TENSIONER....also came to know tht balenos have an inherent problem with these....Changed it and my babies doing just fine......
Old 13th May 2007, 21:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Is your clutch slipping ?? Do you feel the car to be underpowered while driving on a smooth road ??
No clutch slipping. I lose power only when I encounter an incline, even a small gradient I start losing speed.
Old 13th May 2007, 21:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
I had a similar problem with my baleno....donno if its teh same with urs...
The car would under rev the same way,and the engine malfunction light would come on in teh dashboard....the car would start jerking slightly as it was under revving....
No, no jerks, only my heart skips a beat. No engine malfunction light either.
Old 13th May 2007, 21:11   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
On getting it checked on a HI SCAN,the problem was directed to a faulty CAM TENSIONER....
Hey Abhishek,

You had a Cam sensor problem, not tensioner.

Viper
viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2007, 22:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

Is your normal idle erratic or smooth?
Did you check the air filter for any blockage?
One thing I can think of is bearings, when wheel bearings go, they make their effect felt only at low speeds, at high speeds there is a background noise which people confuse with tyre noise.
Try raising the car on a jack and trying to spin the wheels in neutral, if there is resistance, time for new bearings.
Old 13th May 2007, 22:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Your air filter can be clogged IMHO? Check your exhaust, it maybe having a leakage.

Last edited by BUSA : 13th May 2007 at 22:44.
Old 13th May 2007, 22:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

if the exhaust had a leak he would be able to hear it quite clearly.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

* If the Baleno has a throttle potentiometer , it could be hitting bad spots at certain positions causing the ECU to shut off the injectors.

* The fuel pressure regulator/pump

* Throttle body - cleaned?

* Injectors - cleaned?
Old 13th May 2007, 23:24   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

This happened a few times on my car .. But under different circumstances ..

1. First the revvs starting dropping because my clutch was totally burnt .. It couldn't transfer the power to the wheels ..

2. In bombay , when the headgasket blew same thing happened .. Also at the same time the radiator fan switch blew too .. Thus the car started to overheat .. These were the only two cases where i faced this problem on my car ..

Possible problems could be clogged air filter , faulty cam sensor , burnt clutch .. Have you noticed any drop in performance otherwise ??
Old 13th May 2007, 23:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Did you check the air filter for any blockage?

I think that is the problem, clean the filters & you should be on your way.

Most Viewed