SF Sonic 12 3.88%
Exide 58 18.77%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 11:35   #1
BHPian

The 2021 Battery Thread | Amaron vs SF Sonic vs Exide

Hi all,

What is the consensus on the battery brand that needs to be selected.

Background behind this topic:
My vehicle battery is acting up lately so thought of getting it changed (current one is Exide) and 3 years old with limted vehicle usage due to current covid situation.

Workshop/dealer is recommending SF sonic. (Which i am not too sure about) When I mentioned Amaron he says performance is not what it used to be with “current” models.

Please only vote if you have used the brand and have first hand info.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SideView : 9th August 2021 at 11:41.
SideView is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 11:42   #2
BHPian

re: The 2021 Battery Thread | Amaron vs SF Sonic vs Exide

I'd recommend Amaron. Go for the one that has maximum warranty (beyond 36 months). I have been using it for all my needs (bikes, cars & inverter). It is just very good. Better than the others. In case it doesn't work well within the warranty period (which is very rare), you will get a brand new battery replaced without any questions.
Raghu M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Amaron, any day!!!!

All of my cars run on Amaron (Green/Black).
Even with low usage, all the batteries easily last me 4-5 years be it Petrol or Diesel.

Recently picked up a pre owned Endeavour with an Exide Battery and it gave up in less than 3 years, and that too all of a sudden, with no previous symptoms of weakness
akshay4587 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 11:52   #4
BHPian

I would recommend Amaron over others. Been using them since many years on our car, bike and scooter. One thing I have observed about Amaron batteries is that you get indications at the end of the battery life like a weak horn, weak cranking, etc. Whereas Exide ones just give up without any warning. They are fine one day and are dead the next day. Had this experience twice with the Exide batteries that came with the bike and scooter.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for Amaron.

However, I would like to add Tata Green Batteries also, to the poll option.
They have been OEM for various manufacturers like Toyota, HMSI, MSIL etc.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

All these 3 companies manufacture their own batteries, and so does Tata Green. Apart from these 4 brands, everyone else procure their batteries (from the 4 companies above), and brand them. I've used all 3 brands listed, and I cannot say I have found any one brand performing inferiorly with relation to the others. Though the vote here is overwhelmingly in favour of Amaron, I have had an Amazon Black fail on me 2 days after the warranty ran out, and an Amaron Go needing to be replaced in warranty. So no battery is failsafe, it's just the warranty that matters.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Please only vote if you have used the brand and have first hand info.
Coincidence or what ever it is, I have all three brands in my 3 cars
Sunny - Exide
Corolla - SF Sonic
Ritz - Amaron

In past we were using only Exide and never had any issues and switched to Amaron for cost competitiveness (when launched) and fortunately never had any issues with Amaron as well. I find (based on my experience) all these 3 brands perform at par when taken care.

Quote:
Workshop/dealer is recommending SF sonic
I pick the brand based on the ease of warranty claim (nearest dealer availability to be specific)
If the recommendation is from regular garage or dealer, go with it. At least you can have peace of mind in case of warranty replacements.

Corolla - used in hometown and SF dealer is the nearest and known for decades
Ritz - used in Chennai and Amaron seller is hardly few meters away from my location
Sunny - When the OE battery showed a lag and I got Exide from the nearest dealer without a choice

PS: Unique case of battery issue in my Yamaha RX - Exide batteries used to last long in my RX than Amaron or SF. I still couldn't figure out the reason.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 9th August 2021 at 12:40.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 13:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

In past we were using only Exide and never had any issues and switched to Amaron for cost competitiveness (when launched) and fortunately never had any issues with Amaron as well. I find (based on my experience) all these 3 brands perform at par when taken care.

Thanks for the detailed post, Can you elaborate on taking care part?

The Exide battery , even though it failed on me the distilled water level all seem fine. Anything specific you are doing on top?

My both previous exide ones failed in 3 years, hence the reason I am planning for a switch. Low vehicle usage during these time might have exacerbated the faliure. I might also ask them to check the alternator maybe that is not charging my battery sufficiently (could be the root cause).
Old 9th August 2021, 13:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Amaron. Have been getting them not only of the 4 wheeler but also for the 2 wheeler. The battery easily lasts for 4 yrs in the Punto, the warranty claims are good although didnt have any opportunity for any claims.

The car came with Exide as OEM but once it died since then have stuck to Amaron.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 16:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate on taking care part?
Nothing more than maintaining the fluid level and not letting a deep drain.
Old 9th August 2021, 16:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Both Exide and Amaron have served me for ~4 years on Bikes and Cars. The key is timely top up of distilled water. Even the Amaron car batteries need to be topped up with distilled water. The cap is designed such that it looks sealed. But it can be pried open with a flat head screw driver. However, the two wheeler batteries are sealed and cannot be topped up
Old 9th August 2021, 17:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Workshop/dealer is recommending SF sonic. (Which i am not too sure about) When I mentioned Amaron he says performance is not what it used to be with “current” models.
FYI for the forum members. SF SONIC is owned by Exide for atleast 5 years now I think.
2000rpm is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Amaron anyday!

My M800 always had it's battery replaced around the 4-5 year period, 5 year is the max we had seen so far on Exide. Also the last year used to be a stretch, with battery feeling weak. Despite dad's objection(for him Battery=Exide), I got Amaron. I'm not sure if periodic maintenance by Bosch C7 is responsible for the life or it's Amaron's quality, but the battery is now into it's 7th year and feels strong as ever. Amaron also got periodic topup of distilled water and trickle charging/regeneration which the Exides never got. Exides were topped up by MASS though during service.

Also their service is hassle-free when compared to Exide.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th August 2021 at 23:20.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 02:27   #14
BHPian

My dad owns a 2012 WagonR VXi model. Till date, it has run about 30,000km. Within a year or so, the battery gave. I don't exactly remember the brand. So we replaced it with an Amaron battery. The battery lasted close to 7 years when the car started showing some issues stating that it needed a new battery. So next day, I went to a local battery shop and for comparison, I had 2 Amaron and 1 Exide battery in front of me. I got the Amaron battery just because it had the longest warranty (44 months). I costed me around 2900 rupees in exchange of the old battery (without exchange, it costed around 3200 rupees).

My experience with Amaron battery has been excellent as it lasted really longer that I anticipated and in the past 7 years, it never left me stranded on the road. My piece of advice would be to go with the one that provides you the highest possible warranty and if you are to choose between Amaron, SF sonic or Exide, I would say, go with Amaron.

Happy Motoring
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 04:44   #15
BHPian

My i20 Elite's battery gave up four years from the date of purchase. It had an Exide in it, I wanted to change Amaron but the store nearest to my place only stocked Exide. Had to go ahead with Exide due to lack of options. It came with a 4 year warrenty Hope this one doesn't disappoint me.
My Dominar's battery died last weekend. Was able to procure a Amaron battery. This one too was offered with a 4 year warrenty.
NirmalK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed