Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2007, 11:34   #1
BANNED

Lancer diesel Timing belt Tensioner - Help!

Two days before I went for 80k service at the authorised service centre Geo Motors,Cochin.After service a grinding like sound is heard from the engine when idling.The service people say that the Timing Belt tensioner bearing has gone(the main bearing) and it would cost 3000rs.Is it normal for a Lancer which has done only 80k kms ?I regularly service the car and has never crossed 100kmph in that.So what it shows that no matter how much you care your car there is no guarantee that it will last longer.My friends Lancer which is being thrashed by everyone ,require normal oil change only.(His car is now around 90k kilometres)Any experts in the field please comment.Is 80k service anything to do with this,I mean ,do they inspect the timing chain ?When I gave the car two days back for service it was perfect...Please comment
Cheers
Dilip
Old 24th May 2007, 10:18   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
.The service people say that the Timing Belt tensioner bearing has gone.......,I mean ,do they inspect the timing chain ?When I gave the car two days back for service it was perfect...Please comment
Cheers
Dilip
lancer uses a timing chain? or a serpentine timing belt?....

what do you mean by grinding noise...is it like screeching sound or humming........?

a faulty bearing will cause increase in noise with incresed rpm, where as a belt needing tension adjustment will screech prominently on lower rpms.

belt produces screeching noise, wheras bearing produces metalic humming?.....
Old 24th May 2007, 15:19   #3
BHPian

Dilip,
Well... I wud say that you are a lucky owner having trouble with belt tensioner only at 80K kms! Well...its depends on the overall quality of that perticular piece went in to your car! It doesn't means that all belt tensioners which the manufacturer uses in assembly line are faulty ones!! IT HAPPENS sometimes!!
Most importantly make sure its belt tensioner that is faulty in your case!! The sound cud be of somethinge else too!! During service, the technician wud've opened the cover to check the status of belt. It may be something like the cover is improperly fixed and touching somewhere! So get it confirmed and replace the faulty part immediately!
Don't worry..Be happy... after all its being done on a 80k done car!!
cheers!
Old 24th May 2007, 22:50   #4
BANNED

Thanks Nikkibike
Anyway they have changed the main bearing and charged me 4500rs.But I am not entirely satisfied.Some humming noise still there.HM service engineer has agreed to inspect the vehicle next week.
Regards
dilip
Old 24th May 2007, 22:56   #5
BANNED

Tensioner bearing

Arun
The noise is heard only when Idling.I first thought the sound is that of some plastic part touching the belt .Pressing accelerator reduces that sound.
Lancer uses timing belt and not timing chain whereas Pajero/Montero uses chain//
Regards
dilip

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
lancer uses a timing chain? or a serpentine

timing belt?....

what do you mean by grinding noise...is it like screeching sound or humming........?

a faulty bearing will cause increase in noise with incresed rpm, where as a belt needing tension adjustment will screech prominently on lower rpms.

belt produces screeching noise, wheras bearing produces metalic humming?.....
Old 25th May 2007, 11:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Thanks Nikkibike
Anyway they have changed the main bearing and charged me 4500rs.But I am not entirely satisfied.Some humming noise still there.HM service engineer has agreed to inspect the vehicle next week.
Regards
dilip
THIS is a core issue! No service centres are good in satisfying customers whenever they find unidentifiable troubles! In such cases generally they try to 'push' the customers out by doing something and convincing them some or another way!
Dude...get it checked properly as early as possible!!! No matter the trouble is small or major... remember..major troubles of lancer's engine can loot your bank balance!!!!
Old 9th November 2007, 15:18   #7
BHPian

normally u have to change the timing belt,tensioner etc at 1lackms..but it's always better to do it a few kms before in indian condition..i have changed my belt, tensioner etc at 75k..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks