Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 14:05   #1
BHPian

Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up

I purchased a Tata Harrier XZ in Jan 2020.
It has done 31043 on the Odo.

Coming to the actual problem, my clutch pedal is dead AGAIN while driving (for the third time). And it is the same issue of clutch fluid/oil hose cut.
I was struck in the middle of the road AGAIN with my family. This is going endless.

1. The first time it happened was in July 2020. It was fixed in SRT Tata, Coimbatore. The reason for the cut was a rupture, which was a design flaw.
2. The second time it happened was in Feb 2021. It was fixed in Lakshmi Tata, OMR, Chennai. The reason for the cut was rupture (However they say that it was rat-bite which doesn't make sense at all and is almost impossible since I have my other car and the other's cars that have never experienced such an issue in the past - I am 100% sure it was because of rupture and not because of rat-bite).
3. Yesterday is the third time. And the reason for the cut is due to rupture. However this time the cut is in a different location.

Every time, I am hearing these words from the SC and Tata Motors - This won't happen again, and this is fixed permanently. And again it happens.

I am writing this since I am totally fed up and frustrated with my car and Tata Motors itself.

I am also fed up with their replies "We understand your situation", "we deeply regret the inconvenience caused", 'we will ensure this won't happen again" since Jan 2020. In fact, there were & are other issues as well.

I have raised my concerns and complaints through email numerous times. Still, there is no solution.
In my last email today, I've insisted on a vehicle replacement.

Please help me with your advice, guidance, recommendations.
I don't want to continue with this car anymore.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 14:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up

It would help, if you could share a couple of pictures of the rupture point & the adjoining areas.

I would recommend to escalate the matter to TML, and get the design/fault inspected by Tata Engineer.
abhishek46 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I just wonder if it's a design flaw, wouldn't the same issue crop up in many other Harriers from same batch too? Are you missing something that's leading to repeated failure/rupture of the hose? Are they replacing it with a hose from same batch? You should insist on getting that replacement part checked. No point in replacing a failed part with another one which is from same batch and hence likely to be defective and fail again.

It's really saddening to hear these sort of parts failures in a nice package as Harrier. The Harrier is still getting baked perennially even with version 2. Just the other day a common friend was choosing between Safari and Harrier and I had only this to say to him - be prepared for surprises such as these.

Hope you soon get a permanent solution and regain the lost confidence and get to enjoy the car again.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 10th August 2021 at 14:59.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As the clutch gets heat cycled with use the effort increases, it is already a hard clutch to operate, possibly popping the hose clamps that connect to the slave cylinder.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 22:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
It would help, if you could share a couple of pictures of the rupture point & the adjoining areas.

I would recommend to escalate the matter to TML, and get the design/fault inspected by Tata Engineer.
Attached here is the pic and video of this third time.

Quote:
Tata is already involved in this. In fact, Tata was directly involved the first two times also. FYI, The SC is just executing the instructions given by Tata. All the inspections and solutions came from Tata every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I just wonder if it's a design flaw, wouldn't the same issue crop up in many other Harriers from same batch too? Are you missing something that's leading to repeated failure/rupture of the hose? Are they replacing it with a hose from same batch? You should insist on getting that replacement part checked. No point in replacing a failed part with another one which is from same batch and hence likely to be defective and fail again.

It's really saddening to hear these sort of parts failures in a nice package as Harrier. The Harrier is still getting baked perennially even with version 2. Just the other day a common friend was choosing between Safari and Harrier and I had only this to say to him - be prepared for surprises such as these.

Hope you soon get a permanent solution and regain the lost confidence and get to enjoy the car again.

Harrier/Safari, are still in the beta phase - both are products still in the baking. I strongly caution anyone spending around 20-25lakhs in a Tata product. It is definitely not a pleasant/happy ownership experience. Tata and M&M are still miles & miles behind in reliability, fit and finish, customer experience/service compared to Korean, Japanese, German brands.

This is the mantra "Test the water before you step in". Don't buy a car from Indian brands until it is tried and tested well enough (Though how long is that "well enough" depends on the intention and commitment from the brand). Of course, the experience has improved drastically compared to the Indica & firstgen XUV500 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up-third-time-photo.jpeg  

Attached Files
File Type: rar IMG_1601.rar (18.15 MB, 232 views)

Last edited by Eddy : 11th August 2021 at 00:20. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 23:01   #6
BHPian

If I recall correctly, this seems to the first thread posting the issue. Maybe it could be certain batches that were having the issue.

@Livnletcarsliv, did you check online if other users were also facing the similar issue.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 00:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I purchased a Tata Harrier XZ in Jan 2020.
It has done 31043 on the Odo.

1. The first time it happened was in July 2020. It was fixed in SRT Tata, Coimbatore. The reason for the cut was a rupture, which was a design flaw.
2. The second time it happened was in Feb 2021. It was fixed in Lakshmi Tata, OMR, Chennai. The reason for the cut was rupture (However they say that it was rat-bite which doesn't make sense at all and is almost impossible since I have my other car and the other's cars that have never experienced such an issue in the past - I am 100% sure it was because of rupture and not because of rat-bite).
3. Yesterday is the third time. And the reason for the cut is due to rupture. However this time the cut is in a different location.

I am also fed up with their replies "We understand your situation", "we deeply regret the inconvenience caused", 'we will ensure this won't happen again" since Jan 2020. In fact, there were & are other issues as well.

I have raised my concerns and complaints through email numerous times. Still, there is no solution.
In my last email today, I've insisted on a vehicle replacement.

Totally understand the feeling of frustration and anguish that you're experiencing. A Jan 2020 vehicle, run only 30k odd kms, and yet 3 repeated failures for the same clutch cable is not acceptable.

However, I do have a few questions for you:

1) What makes you say that the first instance was a design issue? Did Tata admit to you that it was a part design issue? Did they give that to you in writing? IF yes, then how will changing the cable help resolve the issue?

2) If it is suspected to be a rat bite on the same cable repeatedly, then why don't they put some protective sheath to ensure that it doesn't recur? Perhaps you should suggest that to them. And just because your other vehicles are free of rodents, doesn't mean that it cannot be a rodent problem with the Harrier. Some materials and cars are more prone to rodent damage.

3) What are the other issues that you've been facing with this vehicle? Have you brought it to the notice of Tata's in writing? IF not, please do so immediately, while your Harrier is still in warranty so that they don't wriggle out of it later.

Hope your Harrier is fixed soon and in a proper manner so that it doesn't make you doubt the reliability of the vehicle. It can be a real dampener when your vehicle leaves you stranded on the road repeatedly. Good luck buddy.

Last edited by Lalvaz : 11th August 2021 at 00:05.
Lalvaz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
1) What makes you say that the first instance was a design issue? Did Tata admit to you that it was a part design issue? Did they give that to you in writing? IF yes, then how will changing the cable help resolve the issue?
The routing of the hose was not properly done. And due to that, there was a continuous rupture between the hose and the plastic cover for the clutch cable junction. And finally, the hose gave up.

Quote:
2) If it is suspected to be a rat bite on the same cable repeatedly, then why don't they put some protective sheath to ensure that it doesn't recur?
I never accepted or agreed to the rat-bite answer. And also the damage was in the same location as it was in the first time.

Quote:
3) What are the other issues that you've been facing with this vehicle? Have you brought it to the notice of Tata's in writing? IF not, please do so immediately, while your Harrier is still in warranty so that they don't wriggle out of it later.
I am writing to them since the purchase for various issues. And they (both the SC well as Tata) are not committed enough, to solve the issues and address the customer concerns appropriately. Their attitude is like "ok, you have a problem - this can be the reason - we will do this - if it doesn't fix it, then we will try something else - if that doesn't fix the issue - we will try the other solution".

I now seriously repent on choosing Harrier (especially BS4) over Compass, Crysta, XUV500.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up

Quote:
I never accepted or agreed to the rat-bite answer. And also the damage was in the same location as it was in the first time.

I looked at the picture you had shared.

This is not a rat bite.
This looks like the hose is rubbing against something.
This also means that the hose is moving about or shaking/vibrating.

If Tata is not 100% sure of their revised routing of the hose, then, they should apply a protective tape around the hose.
The Hose should also be fastened securely in position, to avoid it getting 'rubbed' against other parts.
abhishek46 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Any chance the routing of this hose is close to battery or below battery? During one of my DIY battery top up, I overfilled the battery water. During the next few days the acid+water mix kept on spilling on the clutch hose, ultimately rupturing it. Initially I thought it is due to poor hose quality but upon close inspection, I understood the issue.

Now since yours is a new car, I don't think you'd have indulged in DIY of any kind. But can you check if any sign of spill is there around battery, that might have taken place due to overfilling by any of the ASC technician?
shipnil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Any chance the routing of this hose is close to battery or below battery? During one of my DIY battery top up, I overfilled the battery water. During the next few days the acid+water mix kept on spilling on the clutch hose, ultimately rupturing it. Initially I thought it is due to poor hose quality but upon close inspection, I understood the issue.

Now since yours is a new car, I don't think you'd have indulged in DIY of any kind. But can you check if any sign of spill is there around battery, that might have taken place due to overfilling by any of the ASC technician?
The clutch assembly is exactly below the battery setup. And of course the complete right side of the engine bay is totally a mess due to the acid spillage all over. However, this mess is only this (third) time. There was no spillage in the earlier situations.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:

This is not a rat bite.

If Tata is not 100% sure of their revised routing of the hose, then, they should apply a protective tape around the hose.
The Hose should also be fastened securely in position, to avoid it getting 'rubbed' against other parts.
Exactly, the hose is moving, vibrating, rubbing against whatever is there. And it is the reason for the damage.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 16:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would buy you a drink everytime a manufacturer would admit something as a design flaw when you complain to them. Maybe a dealer might do that, but when you talk about giving something in writing, no, thank you. At the most they can only assure you that it would be fixed and it would not re-occur. If a hose isnt secured correctly and that get friction related wear which would result in a rupture, that is indeed a design flaw whether or not the manufacturer would agree or give in writing. And three times in 30k kms is something that points to abnormal wear over a fixed period of time. If it was the act of rats or any other issue it can crop up irregularly and can also happen when the rest of the hose is completely free of wear. But here a pretty huge portion of the hose is worn out due to friction.
audioholic is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 16:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a similar one in SCross that was reported earlier. Battery acid is perhaps the culprit, you may want to get that battery replaced \ charging system checked to prevent this in future, also pressure wash the area to remove any remaining contamination.

Link to previous post (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)

Last edited by Kosfactor : 11th August 2021 at 16:48.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 19:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The routing of the hose was not properly done. And due to that, there was a continuous rupture between the hose and the plastic cover for the clutch cable junction. And finally, the hose gave up.

I am writing to them since the purchase for various issues. And they (both the SC well as Tata) are not committed enough, to solve the issues and address the customer concerns appropriately. Their attitude is like "ok, you have a problem - this can be the reason - we will do this - if it doesn't fix it, then we will try something else - if that doesn't fix the issue - we will try the other solution".

I now seriously repent on choosing Harrier (especially BS4) over Compass, Crysta, XUV500.
Thank you for clarifying. I do agree that the rupture does not appear to be a rat bite. So, probably seems to be a friction related issue or a battery acid issue. Suggest you ask them to put a sheath on the hose and also secure the same. This will hopefully ensure that the problem does not re-surface.

Quote:

This is not a rat bite.

I agree that the friction seems to be the most probable cause of this rupture. Irrespective of Tata's confidence levels in the revised routing, its probably best to put a protective sheath to prevent the rubbing and subsequent rupture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I would buy you a drink everytime a manufacturer would admit something as a design flaw when you complain to them.
Yes, audioholic, I was trying to understand whether Livnletcarsliv deduced that it was a design flaw on his own, or was it admitted by the manufacturer. I do know that manufacturers would be most reluctant to give it in writing that its a design flaw. Heck M&M, doesn't even admit that their door design in the TUV300 is flawed, even though its visible to everyone. https://www.consumercomplaints.in/ma...doors-c1461624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Here is a similar one in SCross that was reported earlier. Battery acid is perhaps the culprit, you may want to get that battery replaced \ charging system checked to prevent this in future, also pressure wash the area to remove any remaining contamination.

Link to previous post (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)
Interesting point, just curious, is the battery water topped up even in the new zero maintenance batteries? I don't think I've topped mine in over 2 years now.
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed