Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 16:43   #181
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Interestingly, as per the Kushaq user manual - an EPC warning light shouldn't cause a vehicle to breakdown and the owner should be able to drive the car to the garage in emergency mode 'exercising appropriate caution'.

Attachment 2202971
While true, but its interlinkage with other systems could cause this to happen. Fuel pump, MAP sensor and MAF sensor either separately or in tandem can make the ECU go ballistic and it finally may not permit start up again.

While these are still early days for the Kushaq, but with the amount they have bet on the MQB IN and this strategy, they will ensure they smoothen things out; be it OEM suppliers or their own QC processes.
Newtown is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:32   #182
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the first reported EPC error was around 20th August or so? In that case what could be the plausible timeline Skoda resolves it for good, and the cars become trouble free?

I am asking for a friend as he can wait for a month or two at max, and despite the EPC error still has Kushaq as one of the shortlisted cars. He's a bachelor in early 20's, dislikes diesels and someone very brand conscious. He will be using the car mostly in cities, but is dreadful of the 1.5DSG. IMO the target customer for Skoda Kushaq 1.0 AT!
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 10:24   #183
BHPian

Quote:

And on a related note - Zac Hollis and Skoda team has been responding to queries acknowledging that a 'handful of users' have been facing 'an EPC warning light', and not that owners are having vehicle breakdowns.
Therein lies the problem. Zac is trying to colour it as a 'mere warning light' whereas the actual issue is much more serious in nature i.e they are 'breaking down in the middle of the road'. A clearcut case of trivialisation and lack of transparency.
adventureseeker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 12:24   #184
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
The EPC issue is bad enough for most of us to push/ drop the buying decision on TSI1.0.

What I would like to know is

1. Are there any issues so far with the 1.5TSI (Manual and Auto)
The EPC issue is found on 1.5 DSG as well. There aren't many issues reported because the 1.5 delivery has just began.
swoosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 13:28   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post

1. Are there any issues so far with the 1.5TSI (Manual and Auto).
Here is an owner reporting a breakdown issue with respect to 1.5 TSI of Kushaq.

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot-20210907-1.18.56-pm.png

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot-20210907-1.19.32-pm.png

*Note-Mods may take down this post if they find that this post does not add any value to the discussion.
adventureseeker is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 14:17   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, as per the Kushaq user manual - an EPC warning light shouldn't cause a vehicle to breakdown and the owner should be able to drive the car to the garage in emergency mode 'exercising appropriate caution'.

And on a related note - Zac Hollis and Skoda team has been responding to queries acknowledging that a 'handful of users' have been facing 'an EPC warning light', and not that owners are having vehicle breakdowns.

From the owner's manual-

Attachment 2202971
Most of the screenshots I have seen, have the engine running in idle, as seen in the Tachometer. I was also surprised that the car cannot be driven since ideally it should go into limp mode, but I can be wrong also.

Just to add, Skoda is now also doing a proactive Software update for EPC issues, in Rapid 1.0 Tsi's when they are coming in for service. Some are also getting a call to come in for it.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 7th September 2021 at 14:25.
Old 7th September 2021, 16:03   #187

I went to a Skoda dealer yesterday and had a long talk on the EPC issue. One thing they were stressing upon again and again was this is caused due to adulterated fuel. He told me if you use Shell petrol there is no chance of this issue coming up (alternatively he said if you can't find a Shell petrol pump then use the premium fuels of BP/HP).
He made a couple of other points as well like there has been no instances of any EPC issue in Bangalore. I remembered seeing one case but could not recall what exactly was the issue so couldn't argue there. He also mentioned that even if the EPC issue comes up the car can limp almost 600 kms and all the breakdowns that are happening because, even after the EPC issue they continue to drive and the fuel pump gives way. I am not not sure how true is that but had to take his comments at face value.
He also mentioned that all the new cars that are being delivered now are getting a software upgrade during the PDI and hence this issue should not come up.
JB_BLR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 19:54   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Most of the screenshots I have seen, have the engine running in idle, as seen in the Tachometer. I was also surprised that the car cannot be driven since ideally it should go into limp mode, but I can be wrong also.
In this new case reported today, the owner was able to start and run the car with the EPC warning lamp on. The warning also disappeared the next day morning, but Skoda has anyways taken the car for inspection.

He got the error after reaching home from a drive, so may be just the initial stages of the issue.

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210907194129_facebook.jpg

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210907194753_facebook.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 20:00   #189
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_BLR View Post
I went to a Skoda dealer yesterday and had a long talk on the EPC issue. One thing they were stressing upon again and again was this is caused due to adulterated fuel. He told me if you use Shell petrol there is no chance of this issue coming up (alternatively he said if you can't find a Shell petrol pump then use the premium fuels of BP/HP).
He made a couple of other points as well like there has been no instances of any EPC issue in Bangalore.
Hilarious, because...

1) how did the car get 'homologated' if it can't run of fuel quality available in india ? When they ran the test mule all over the country, did they fill it up with only "Shell fuel" ?

2) The new generation TSI motor, alongwith it's fuel system, is present in polo/vento/rapid etc.. why are those cars not getting reported in TBHP or other social media outlets, with the same issue ? Are those car owners 'taking care' to fill unadulterated fuel ?

This looks like a classic 'cop-out' a.k.a blame-it-on-the-pitch-after-a-batting-collapse kind of excuse. Definitely they are hiding some catastrophic/utter-basic bug or flaw.

Last edited by venkyhere : 7th September 2021 at 20:02.
venkyhere is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 22:10   #190

I visited Skoda service centre to get my Karoq serviced. I saw multiple Kushaq, some seem excessively dismantled. Upon enquiring the mechanic working on my car about them he told me those cars stopped midway as their Fuel Pump stopped working and the car is now displaying an EPC warning. Of the several cars, he told me further, one drove 29kms and did not even make it to a Mandir for Pooja, another spent a day with the owner and had to be toed to the service centre the next day. It was a long day at the service centre, I saw a Kushaq owner who had arrived before me still waiting at the centre to get his car fixed while I left. It's unsettling when I put myself in his shoes or other owners who have just gotten their cars.

One thing to note is all the cars I saw were 1L variants. Now that the company has encountered this issue, I hope they are taking enough steps to avoid this in the cars that will be delivered further, otherwise, and to put in that mechanic's words "Ye gaadi bahut badnaami kardegi"
prateekvinayak is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 16:47   #191

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210901234738_facebook.jpg

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210901235610_facebook.jpg

Update:

My car came back yesterday and fuel pump and a sensor was changed. Today I again faced the starting problem in the morning. I was on call was the ASS that the car is still facing starting problems which they literally couldn't believe. 20 mins into the my first drive today, the car has come to a halt in the middle of a busy traffic signal. I am stranded now with EPC issue waiting for skoda RSA for 1 hr now, and hopefully they will pick up my car in another hour. New fuel pump and sensor lasted less than 50 KMs. It's really heartbreaking and scary situation, I got this car mainly for long highway runs and now it's scary planning a road trip on this car for atleast the next 6 months till issues are finally resolved. I know skoda will eventually fix this problem but if the take too long, customer faith will never return again.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th September 2021 at 18:52. Reason: Corrected broken image links
Rahul9229 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 17:30   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul9229 View Post
---I know skoda will eventually fix this problem but if the take too long, customer faith will never return again.
Sad to see this situation for the 2.0 project of the Skoda Auto Volkswagen India Pvt.
Now it looks more serious as they are yet to find the solution ( suspect a localized Part Quality issue, a serious one).

Looks to be heading towards a recall, the sooner the better!

Now Skoda Auto Volkswagen India Pvt. products should not be bought at launch and will join the TATA/Mahindra's on niggles/ quality issues faced in new launches.

The official TBHP reviews of launches from the Skoda Auto Volkswagen India Pvt. should contain the following in the 'cons' section:
Quote:
• Skoda/VW after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
• It's a brand-new technology with localization, so there will be concerns over niggles & bugs in a freshly baked car
Was looking at Kushaq seriously, but I have doubts on this car and will relook after one year.

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th September 2021 at 17:44.
volkman10 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 18:19   #193
BHPian

Looks like even the OEM is clueless about the issue or may be not sure how to resolve such issues. Feeling sad for all the owners who are suffering.
Mile_muncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 18:32   #194
BHPian

I took a test drive of 1.5 DSG and the car is brilliant to drive. Super refined and silent till 5k rpm.

I am in doubts whether to buy Kushaq/Taigun after seeing multiple EPC failure issues and a company like Skoda not able to find a solution for it. Is the 1.5 DSG also facing EPC issues? Any bhpian who owns 1.5 DSG and can share their views on Kushaq ownership.
Old 8th September 2021, 18:58   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
I took a test drive of 1.5 DSG and the car is brilliant to drive. Super refined and silent till 5k rpm.

I am in doubts whether to buy Kushaq/Taigun after seeing multiple EPC failure issues and a company like Skoda not able to find a solution for it. Is the 1.5 DSG also facing EPC issues? Any bhpian who owns 1.5 DSG and can share their views on Kushaq ownership.
My friend owns a 1.5 DSG which has also suffered EPC breakdown once and has returned yesterday itself. Both engine variants have this issue. I don't understand what road testing they have done for 15lakh kms if both variants have the issue.
Rahul9229 is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed