Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 19:47   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems

Before the celebrations are over, owner with a "robust" replacement fuel pump gets stranded on the road -

Original EPC issue and fix details -

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210918193110_facebook.jpg

Today's issue -

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210918194542_twitter.jpg

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210918194621_twitter.jpg

Service Bill for fuel pump replacement on 4th -

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-20210918_193335.jpg

Console pic -

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-20210918_193357.jpg

Log from Skoda Connect app -

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-20210918_193325.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th September 2021 at 19:55.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 20:21   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Before the celebrations are over, owner with a "robust" replacement fuel pump gets stranded on the road
This is seriously concerning when a global major such as Skoda isn't able to sort out a serious issue in brand new cars. If these supposedly "better" fuel pumps start failing, I think a fair amount of compensation is required and if not then the legal route must be taken by customers.

Just seeing the Kushaq properly told me that corners have really been cut but I didn't expect such grave issues at all. I don't know why Skoda hasn't issued a stop-sale order yet. Any company with even a modicum of self respect would've done it by now.

Not cool Skoda, not cool.
porsche_guy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 20:24   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Before the celebrations are over, owner with a "robust" replacement fuel pump gets stranded on the road -
At this point it just seems ridiculous. Even Tata didn't face such major issues with Harrier, and I remember people were attacking Tata left, right and center for niggles like faulty ICE screen and few millimeters of panel gaps Skoda India were supposed to lead the India 2.0 plan for Volkswagen group, they seem to have totally messed it up. I wonder if Skoda would be the next OEM to exit Indian car market. All that driving dynamics, solid build isn't worth it if your car isn't running. How can this particular customer trust Skoda again and drive the same lemon car ? The CEO announced on Twitter that replacement pump is "robust", but then why it failed again? And I don't buy that fuel quality stuff they're talking about. All cars of different make are plying on the roads, don't see them breaking down. If I were to own a Kushaq, I'd sell it off ASAP and save myself from the trauma that is "German car ownership".
Akshay6988 is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 20:32   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The TSI engines need minimum 95RON to work optimally and if all the tests have been done using higher octane petrol
Sorry if its a noob question but why didn't the earlier Polo 1.2TSi or the current Polo/Vento/Rapid 1.0TSi reporting this issue ? I doubt if everyone filled 95+ fuel in their cars.

I feel it is something else but again not competent to know further.
Have a feeling they're troubleshooting it via the error codes but are still away from the cause but I may be wrong, hope so too.

PS : Any chance of it related to the fuel line routing ? After some usage the lines get bent/damaged to repeatedly cause the error. Would also explain why the issue is recurring after the pump replacements. But IMO too simple to be true and they would've already checked it.

Last edited by shancz : 18th September 2021 at 20:51. Reason: added ps comment
shancz is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:11   #260

Quote:
Not defending Skoda here, but doesn't look like it's the "robust" replacement. He got his replacement about a month ago — so couldn't have been the one announced a couple of days ago. Most likely, it would have been a fuel pump from the older batch itself.
jamminbobin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:39   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminbobin View Post
Not defending Skoda here, but doesn't look like it's the "robust" replacement. He got his replacement about a month ago — so couldn't have been the one announced a couple of days ago. Most likely, it would have been a fuel pump from the older batch itself.
The invoice screenshot looks like the job card for the fuel pump replacement is dated 4th of September 2021 and the invoice was printed on 12th of September 2021.

In the original post, he says he had the issue one month back, error cleared, again to come and go for a few weeks, etc before the pump was finally replaced. Not that the pump was replaced one month back.

He has attached invoice for the first time for 22nd August as well, where it was only a code reset, not a pump replacement.

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210918214310_twitter.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th September 2021 at 21:47.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:44   #262
BHPian

Based on the occurences, it seems that driving on low fuel might be one of the culprits. Refer,'pump cavitation'. IMO, air gets sucked into the system and ruptures the internals. Also, the self priming function of the fuel pump isn't efficient enough to drive out the already trapped-in air after the fuel is refilled again.

My preventive measures for the time being would be,

1. Refuel when the needle touches the half mark
2. Turn ON the ignition. Wait until the priming of the pump is over and then proceed to start the vehicle

These breakdown stories remind me of the dog days witnessed by owners of Type 2 Superb 1.8TSI. I wish God grants Skoda the simple cleverness to design a robust fuel pump!

Last edited by eccentric : 18th September 2021 at 21:47.
eccentric is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:56   #263

Quote:
The invoice screenshot looks like the job card for the fuel pump replacement is dated 4th of September 2021 and the invoice was printed on 12th of September 2021.

In the original post, he says he had the issue one month back, error cleared, again to come and go for a few weeks, etc before the pump was finally replaced. Not that the pump was replaced one month back.

He has attached invoice for the first time for 22nd August as well, where it was only a code reset, not a pump replacement.

Attachment 2208865
My bad on that, sorry — the replacement happened more recently. But it still might not have been the updated part. That was announced on Sept 14/15 I believe, and my dealer tells me they're still being shipped to dealers. Rajarshi says something similar in one of his tweets.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot-20210918-9.53.47-pm.png  

jamminbobin is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 22:07   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminbobin View Post
Rajarshi says something similar in one of his tweets.
Just came to post that. Zac did reply with this same comment - so hopefully that gives Skoda the benefit of the doubt.

Though this contradicts his earlier email on 15th September 2021 (posted in the previous page) which stated that the pumps have already reached dealerships and fitted to a customers car.

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-screenshot_20210918220040_twitter.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 22:10   #265

MOD NOTE : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.

Quote:

Attachment 2208865
Thanks Moderator for sharing my post on this platform. I actually got a reply back from Zac on twittet. He has stated that they have started dispatching the new fuel pumps starting this week. So, this clearly means that I was issued a new but the same faulty fuel pump. I appreciate the prompt response by Zac on this. But if there was no resolution on this, how the Patna service center guys fixed the car with the same faulty pump. I had specifically told them that I would be driving another 6000 kms in the next 1.5 months before I reach Bangalore. And now, I am here in Kalimpong and and the nearest service center is in Kolkata which is 625 kms away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Based on the occurences, it seems that driving on low fuel might be one of the culprits. Refer,'pump cavitation'. IMO, air gets sucked into the system and ruptures the internals. Also, the self priming function of the fuel pump isn't efficient enough to drive out the already trapped-in air after the fuel is refilled again.

My preventive measures for the time being would be,

1. Refuel when the needle touches the half mark
2. Turn ON the ignition. Wait until the priming of the pump is over and then proceed to start the vehicle

These breakdown stories remind me of the dog days witnessed by owners of Type 2 Superb 1.8TSI. I wish God grants Skoda the simple cleverness to design a robust fuel pump!
I think the above mentioned issues might not hold true.
When I encountered the issue first time, I agree that the fuel tank was almost empty. And I got the petrol filled but during that time Muzaffarpur was flooded. So, an assumption that I made was that water might have seeped into the petrol storage tanks and adulterated the fuel.

Now, when this issue has again popped up, I had filles Xtra premium and I always keep the fuel tank above half way mark. But this time, I was driving on the hills to Kalimpong and the roads are quite steep. I was continuously driving on 1st and 2nd gear.

So, right now, I am just out of reasons as to why this issue might be coming up.

Adding the screenshot of the tweet.
Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-bf4d9113650c4db99b2656466fa1e76d.png

Last edited by Sheel : 20th September 2021 at 10:02. Reason: Mod note attached.
rajarshi.sarker is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 22:52   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

@Rajarshi - Since Zac says the pumps have started to arrive only now, Does this mean whoever received the parts replaced with supposedly Robust bits already are going to be on the side of the road again?
Old 18th September 2021, 22:58   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@Rajarshi - Since Zac says the pumps have started to arrive only now, Does this mean whoever received the parts replaced with supposedly Robust bits already are going to be on the side of the road again?
Exactly my point KosFactor. If you don't have a resolution, don't do a dirty fix and just hand over the car. People just can't have their car towed multiple times because of the same issue when apparently they have been told that their issue has been rectified. The issue in question right now does not categorize itself as a niggle but as primary breakdown parameter.
rajarshi.sarker is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 18:27   #268

Quick update on the issue. PPS SKODA Bengaluru, SVA Skoda Patna and Global Skoda Kolkata are leading the three pronged attack against the fuel pump issue.
Patna Service team has stated that they have fixed my car with the latest batch of fuel pumps but are investigating the issue.
PPS Skoda is highlighting my issue to the top brass so that this issue gets resolved quickly.
GLOBAL SKODA KOLKATA has initiated a RSA for me and the car is getting towed tomorrow to their service center for the fix. For that they have already reserved a new fuel pump for me and they will also investigate on the existing fuel pump that is currently installed in my car.
Today since afternoon, there are no more warning lights coming on the instrument panel but still Mr Pintu Das who is the ASM for Global Skoda advised me not to drive the car back but to get the car towed. He told me that there is a certain chance that the issue will come back and this may lead to stalling of the car. Hopefully this issue resolved soon and this conundrum around EPC ends because this issue is actually eating up sales of Kushaq.
In the past 45 days, I have driven around 4500 kms and this car is a real charmer apart from this really disturbing EPC issue.
rajarshi.sarker is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:16   #269
BHPian

It is good to hear that issues are getting sorted out. As much as Skoda and VW get the bashing, imagine if they leave the country. We will only have Indian, Korean, Japanese and Chinese cars - mostly Asian cars. Chevy, Fiat and Ford all are gone. I just don't want the Germans to go away. I am discounting Jeep, Citroen due to their out of reach pricing / weird looks.

Last edited by amvj : 19th September 2021 at 19:38.
amvj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 09:02   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
It is good to hear that issues are getting sorted out. As much as Skoda and VW get the bashing, imagine if they leave the country. We will only have Indian, Korean, Japanese and Chinese cars - mostly Asian cars. Chevy, Fiat and Ford all are gone. I just don't want the Germans to go away. I am discounting Jeep, Citroen due to their out of reach pricing / weird looks.
LOL! This is exactly the thought that came to mind as well after reading the post. Never been a fan of Skoda but am desperate to not see another multinational car maker flee India. I do hope they sort this out with a permanent fix. Happy to see Zac taking it upon himself and apologizing profusely.
veyron_head is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks