Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:37   #301
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems

The minimum recommended RON for 1.0 TSI on a Polo/Vento/Rapid TSI is 95 where as Kushaq had the minimum 91 RON/Recommended 95 RON printed on the fuel cap. One thing for sure TSI engine goes nuts on bad fuel. I drive a Rapid TSI and used to fill 91 RON from Reliance, Essar or Shell alone until recently. Now, as IOCL XP95 is popular even in small cities I switched to 95 RON and the difference is day and night. The engine revs much smoother and knocking is minimal. The grunt is more evident in the turbo zone and now there's no going back to 91 RON.

Anyone with a TSI, just stick on to 95 RON and in case if you don't have access to high octane fuel, best to fill 91 RON from private players or trusted COCO outlets.
TurboGuy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:39   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
With all the bashing going around, I believe this one is not fair - The fuel cap has this very clearly labeled, every time you open the fuel cap, owner is bound to see this. The owner's manual very clearly states the kind of fuel requires and has a disclaimer stating substandard fuel "will" cause issues.
My bad ! I have always been a diesel guy and a ignorant one hence never paid attention to the markings on the fuel cap. I always get my brute refueled at Shell or IOCL bunks (on road trips). I take my words back on the warning but then the question remains same on the fuel quality in our country. Getting the desired type of fuel on highway trips remains a gamble.
Yes they warned me but what do I do when I see one bout of fuel level and only a shady petrol pump in vicinity, I have to fuel up and I expect my vehicle not to give up 20 kms later.

May be this fuel pump change will do good for the owners but I have heard lots of horror stories with Skoda/VW from friends. I am an auto lover and take care of my vehicle like a baby but not everybody else does, Maybe they have the best of engines there but if it cant take a little abuse here and there what's the point of having a vehicle (after all its a machine to take you from point A to B)? Not everybody is going to a rally or the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
You get some, you lose some. Skoda offers lot of things we long from Indian manufacturers today.
Agreed! but then a new vehicle shutting down (20+ incidents which I recall) paves the way for a bashing. You don't release a vehicle with this level of fault.
I also faced issues with My Nexon like water pump leakage, rattling etc but it has never given up on me like this (fingers crossed), So yes I got some reliability on that front.

My apologies if I offended you or any Skoda owners in anyway, these are my personal opinion Cheers!

Last edited by ShivrajG : 22nd September 2021 at 11:42.
ShivrajG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:53   #303
Senior - BHPian

Would wait to see the root cause of this issue being disclosed(hopefully).

If they say its due to fuel :
  1. I don't buy it, doesn't make sense, this isn't the first TSi/Skoda we have running on our fuel.
  2. If it is due to fuel then it means that the Kushaq can't be used for touring to far off places (say Ladakh) where the availability of 95 fuel isn't guaranteed. A deal breaker if I may.
  3. If it was the case and like others have pointed out why didn't it come up in the "extensive" tests that were carried out ?
  4. Personally, I don't think the root cause is linked to fuel. A lower octane fuel is supposed to lower the performance and refinement to some extent but not stop in the middle of the road. This is something else but I may be wrong.

Homologation exercises exist for a reason, just using local names isn't going to cut it. It has to perform on ground.
Hope Skoda don't get too sidetracked in their India 2.0 mission and sort it out at the earliest.

Last edited by shancz : 22nd September 2021 at 11:59. Reason: disc
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:58   #304
BHPian

World over, people who wanted to have a surefire fuss free experience with the car, had always bought a Toyota or Honda. German cars requires premium fuel, battery etc.

To me, to a certain extent this is as expected. Not sure why people are so finicky now !
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:59   #305
BHPian

What is with this Skoda cars and fuel quality relationship always popping up?

We can always pick and choose our bunks (Shell, Essar, Reliance, COCO) while being inside the city and also to some extent on long trips. But situations demand at times, that we HAVE to fill in at least some fuel (at a lonely single person manned bunk in a corner on top of a hill ) to reach the next trusted bunk. That should not be a heart in your mouth situation. Cars must be able to take some rough with the smooth and cant be super sensitive!.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:30   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1811 View Post
I am quite appalled and amazed for how people are happy or appreciating Zac apologizing or reverting to their tweets.

Zac is Director, Sales and Marketing and boy, is he a good marketer. No practical / objective value but understanding the Indian sentiment and being the emotional support we all love.

But let me just state some facts here, shall we.
- I would rather get a prompt, rational and solution oriented reply / attention from my SA / workshop than Zac. Zac is not going to come and fix my car. The service center team will come and help me tow the car and find a reasonable solution.
- I would rather get a documented email from Skoda India stating what the issue is, which cars are affected and what is the resolution timeline along with warranty and compensation related clarification for ordeal faced than a tweet saying we will replace the existing fuel pumps with more "robust" ones. That is quite vague in my opinion.
- We as customer and Skoda as a company should look into the fact that why is even a customer having to reach their corporate leadership for a car breakdown. Why was this not resolved at dealership level only, and if this is more of an escalation then what action was taken by Skoda corporate on the dealership?
- This is an amazing marketing ploy, one which will make its way to ISB and IIM case studies. For how Indian mentality works, all is forgotten if you lend a shoulder to a disturbed individual, create an aura or pretend to care (not saying Skoda doesn't care for its customers) and all the anger / pain is generally forgotten.
- I as a Skoda dealership wouldn't feel too comfortable in this scenario where each and every customer comes up to me and shows me what Zac replied to them and hold me accountable for it. The dealer is a channel partner for Skoda, and Skoda is also required to protect the dealership when the failing part is not a result of anything that the dealer did and cant fix it because it needs replacement. Its nothing to do with the dealership competence in my opinion.
- While, i appreciate and am amazed by this marketing strategy and it sure seems to be delivering with people feeling cared for and in good hands if Zac is replying to their tweets, i can also understand why it is not catching on with other companies. Primary reason i feel is because if my car breaks down, i know Maruti / Hyundai / Toyota service team will handle it and fix it and i would rather feel the "tender, love and care" from them than a Corporate head honcho.
Just my 2 cents

Totally agree!! You said all the words which my brain was wondering lol
We got happy a famous guy retweeted and forgot that this was not his job. His job was to make Skoda do this and back it up with the actual resolve..

I remember the old Aamir Khan advt I think it was for Tata sky where he is shown to be the chairman and comes to fix a set up box and says no job is big or small and the customer is smiling LOL
SN88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:02   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post

The engines are made to take a little brunt and go on (Robust)
Exactly! I am sure any manufacturer would do that way only. But if they specify 95RON , it should work say 91 and above. Irrespective of the RON rating , missing a couple of ones here and there should never stall engine, may be performance is reduced or knocking is more at a higher rate. Anyway my point was if Skoda says fuel quality and RON as the issue, it will remain even if you fill in some premium. In one post I read that they fill in XtraPremium but still issues. There is a misconception that premium fuel = high RON, that need not necessarily true always, which I just wanted to emphasize. Hopefully they fix the Robust pumps and the issue is fixed once and for all.

Last edited by Salnv : 22nd September 2021 at 13:04.
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:05   #308

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul9229 View Post
Update :

My car had returned on 15th September after second fuel pump change and drove well for a day. To my horror, the starting issue as described in my first post was still there on 16th morning. I called up the service guys and they were clueless. I called up Mr Devagya from Skoda who was referred to me by Zac Hollis, Devagya asked me to visit the service centre and the national service head or something for whole Vw skoda group Mr Sharad is co-incidentally in town and he will inspect my car. I met Mr sharad the same day at the service centre and he forced the ASS guys to give me a spare car for the time being till they inspect my car. He informed me that the starting issue was not even inspected in the first 2 visits as the team thought it's all related to EPC error and personally apologised on behalf of the team for ignoring the issue. It's been 5 days again, service centre , skoda team , everyone is saying just 1 thing, that they could not find any issue that is causing the starting problem and they will observe my car till Wednesday and return it as it is.
I have told them sternly that I will not accept this car anymore if they don't find and fix the issue and will take up the matter legally. I am sure other users will also face similar issues sooner or later and this time, they don't even know what to fix.

Attachment 2209646
UPDATE : NEED HELP

Hello guys.
I need help and suggestion from the senior members of the forum. My car has been in the service center since the beginning of the month for back to back EPC issues and starting problem. Even after the second EPC patchup, the car refused to start in the first go the very next morning it was delivered back to me. And its again been at the service centre for a week now. Service centre is forcing me to take back the car without any work being done on it as they say they cannot find the problem causing the starting issue. What are my options in this case? If the service guys cannot find the problem, they cannot fix it, that's true, but it's a highly possible scenario that I take it back and face the issue again and they may deny the problem again upon inspection as they are clearly clueless what's causing this particular issue. Please guide me how can I make them handle it in a more responsible manner.

Last edited by Rahul9229 : 22nd September 2021 at 14:18. Reason: Typo error
Rahul9229 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:41   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Share the same sentiment.
I mean why sell lemons and then lend a shoulder to cry on?
New business model?
Addition to MBA textbooks worldwide!!!!

Quote:

Hello guys.
I need help and suggestion from the senior members of the forum. My car has been in the service center since the beginning of the month for back to back EPC issues and starting problem. Even after the second EPC patchup, the car refused to start in the first go the very next morning it was delivered back to me. And its again been at the service centre for a week now. Service centre is forcing me to take back the car without any work being done on it as they say they cannot find the problem causing the starting issue. What are my options in this case? If the service guys cannot find the problem, they cannot fix it, that's true, but it's a highly possible scenario that I take it back and face the issue again and they may deny the problem again upon inspection as they are clearly clueless what's causing this particular issue. Please guide me how can I make them handle it in a more responsible manner.
Never owned a Skoda, so can't give you and direct contacts. But generally speaking, read below!

1) First things first - Thoroughly document everything. Don't let anything be verbal over phone (unless you have recordings of this etc)
Best practice is to send a whatsapp msg to the SA once they disconnect your call.
2) Can't you recreate the problem in front of the SA? or call him to your home when the car refuses to start
3) Take a video when the issue pops up again, so that the SA can't refute you. Make sure the dashboard is captured & any other relevant info! Narrate the action you're taking, the (lack of) expected outcome & the issue you're facing, so there's no ambiguity!
4) Different subsequent approaches -
a) Push SA to escalate. You escalate via twitter etc to their IN office, Abroad (Head) office, Nitin Gadkari anyone else who'll retweet you!
I'm sure Zach can order you a tissue box while you do so.
b) After repeated escalations, if nothing has moved, then you're with a lemon. So make lime soda!!!!!!
c) Lime soda is made by contacting a lawyer & consumer court. This is as an absolute last last last resort, as these things take their own time to resolve & backlog of cases across the country has increased due to lockdown last year etc.

Last edited by som9729 : 22nd September 2021 at 14:58.
som9729 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:11   #310
BHPian

Not to sound insensitive towards the situation people are finding around their cars, and more specifically towards Skoda Kushaq.

I have always struggled to understand, if a company is famous for selling lemons, why are customers buying from that company?
These threads always act as a reminder for me to never go near a Skoda, but that is my personal learning.
CarJunki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:35   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Not to sound insensitive towards the situation people are finding around their cars, and more specifically towards Skoda Kushaq.

I have always struggled to understand, if a company is famous for selling lemons, why are customers buying from that company?
These threads always act as a reminder for me to never go near a Skoda, but that is my personal learning.
That is because, the customer finds a few critical qualities in these offerings, which are absent in the immediate competitors.

For example, The Heavier Build, The Supposedly Safer Structure, Engaging Dynamics, Cleaner Styling etc.
abhishek46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:23   #312

Quote:

Hello guys.
Thank you everyone and teambhp. I think this post made a difference in my favour. I got a call and They have agreed to replacing the starter motor as a precautionary measure and I will get my car in an hour with new starter even though they could not diagnose a problem with it or anything else. Although nobody has a clue whether this will solve the problem or not, but let's hope for the best . I will make a proper video if the issue crops up again in future for the service centre guys to see the exact nature of the problem. Thank you everyone at team bhp for providing such a great platform that lead to almost instant resolution for me.
Rahul9229 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:44   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone and teambhp. I think this post made a difference in my favour. I got a call and They have agreed to replacing the starter motor as a precautionary measure and I will get my car in an hour with new starter even though they could not diagnose a problem with it or anything else. Although nobody has a clue whether this will solve the problem or not, but let's hope for the best . I will make a proper video if the issue crops up again in future for the service centre guys to see the exact nature of the problem. Thank you everyone at team bhp for providing such a great platform that lead to almost instant resolution for me.
That's great news I wish you many miles of uninterrupted enjoyment from now on.
sometimes you have to twist the arm to get results.
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:13   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi.sarker View Post
MOD NOTE : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.

Thanks Moderator for sharing my post on this platform. I actually got a reply back from Zac on twittet. He has stated that they have started dispatching the new fuel pumps starting this week. So, this clearly means that I was issued a new but the same faulty fuel pump. I appreciate the prompt response by Zac on this. But if there was no resolution on this, how the Patna service center guys fixed the car with the same faulty pump. I had specifically told them that I would be driving another 6000 kms in the next 1.5 months before I reach Bangalore. And now, I am here in Kalimpong and and the nearest service center is in Kolkata which is 625 kms away.

I think the above mentioned issues might not hold true.
When I encountered the issue first time, I agree that the fuel tank was almost empty. And I got the petrol filled but during that time Muzaffarpur was flooded. So, an assumption that I made was that water might have seeped into the petrol storage tanks and adulterated the fuel.

Now, when this issue has again popped up, I had filles Xtra premium and I always keep the fuel tank above half way mark. But this time, I was driving on the hills to Kalimpong and the roads are quite steep. I was continuously driving on 1st and 2nd gear.

So, right now, I am just out of reasons as to why this issue might be coming up.

Adding the screenshot of the tweet.
Attachment 2208875
Hi Rajarshi. I spoke with Mr pintu at length regarding your car too, it's yet to arrive at the service centre. Once it comes it will be fixed asap as there is a lot of pressure on them to fix your problem. Your previous pump was changed on 12th, but new pumps started coming in only after 15th so your car was fitted again with old problematic fuel pump and this new pump change should solve your issue too. And they will deliver the car at your preferred location after that. I'm sure skoda India is finally realising that current and future customers are in contact with each other and they cannot sustain a mass market product with its current ratio of complaints and is taking customer complaints across social platforms very seriously. Hope you come out of this issue soon and many many happy miles to you going forward.
Rahul9229 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:17   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Would reiterate what other members have said:

Make sure that you document everything (preferably over emails) and involve seniors at the dealership right up until the owner so that they can't wash off their hands saying that the SA didn't keep them in loop later on.

If you are not at the service center then please try to be present for any part replacements that they might do and insist on a zero value bill that documents the part replacement. I assume that they do have to bill Skoda for the part so they will have a bill to provide.

You can also ensure that they are actually replacing the part and not just bluffing just to get the customer off their backs.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks