Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 16:37   #331
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems

I think it is safe to conclude and it has been said "n" number of times in "n" number of threads.

One should never buy a newly launched product. It is better to wait for atleast 1 year or for the facelift. Or one should opt for the ones which are already on sale for more than 2 years.

RD150 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 16:45   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

In this case, ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited - The ‘INDIA 2.0’ Project, showcases the ' German Reliability' at launch !

Feel really sorry for the owners of Kushaq (and the prospective Taigun) owners on the ordeal they have to go through.

Hope it all comes to a conclusive end and I guess they have no recall as they are yet to identify the root cause of the 'EPC' issue.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 16:50   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
I think it is safe to conclude and it has been said "n" number of times in "n" number of threads.

One should never buy a newly launched product. It is better to wait for atleast 1 year or for the facelift. Or one should opt for the ones which are already on sale for more than 2 years.

But that's no excuse for manufacturers- they need to know by now that Indian customers are ruthless and only buy successful models without any reliability issues- unless you are Hyundai/ Maruti who can get away with anything.
Turbohead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:00   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Really sad scenario and it is pitiful that the new buyers who bought this car for close to 20L are suffering like this.
Ironical that Skoda's usp used to be well engineered (German quality) cars and Kushaq has completely killed that impression.
I consider myself lucky that I cancelled my Kushaq booking and did not go ahead with it after seeing the car.
Skoda / VW better pull up their socks now and get their act together else they will also be added soon to the list of manufacturers exiting India inspite of being in India for so many years like GM and Ford.
Behemoth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:58   #335
BHPian

This is really getting embarrassing for Skoda now, having failures of the dreaded "EPC". And Mr. Zac's emphasis on the word "robust" while talking about the fuel pumps seems like a joke now with failures reported even after their replacement. Can't their team figure out the reason for the EPC error? Mr. Zac mentioned that there can be other issues due to which EPC error can pop up, so does that mean the owners should expect that there are other issues with their cars which Skoda have not been able to diagnose yet?

Last edited by Aditya : 30th September 2021 at 05:10. Reason: Typos. spacing
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th September 2021, 19:41   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but this EPC fiasco cannot be included in the above precautionary statement.

People are advised to stay away from new cars to avoid niggles or small design flaws of first batch products, not to avoid consistent repeated Breakdowns (before even completing run-in period).

No other car in the past decade, no matter how big a flop it had turned out to be eventually, had similar kind or scale of breakdowns (even repeated) post launch.

Initial 1 year odd cooling period is advised to avoid cars that face minor issues or niggles. Examples :
- Lapses in Quality control in manufacturing (Harrier, Thar)
- Fit and finish issues (Harrier)
- Niggles like infotainment responsiveness, switch material quality issues (Harrier)
- A batch of vendor part not as per specification in initial lot (XUV 300)
- Niggles/Issues in Brand new car from a brand new manufacturer from a brand new factory (Seltos)

This goes far beyond that limit of advisable precaution. Here,
  • Skoda is not able to design their fuel pump for the variable fuel quality in India despite being in India for 2 decades.
  • Skoda did not test their product for the very basic functionality of simply driving length and breadth of our country.
  • Skoda is not able to fix the issues after multiple attempts, cars failing even after 3 attempts.
  • Skoda is suggesting that latest EPC issues could be because of something other than the original culprit - the non robust fuel pump.

These are not high performance or advanced tech cars. We are not even talking about DCT/DSG issues, which the performance seeking crowd would have already accounted for before buying.

Skoda diluted their own quality standards (set in a decade old product) for this car in the name of localisation.
Skoda did not deliver on the localisation price value benefit.
Skoda did not test their car for our locale.

This will tick like a time bomb in the minds all Kushaq owners, at least for considerable future.

This is the death of german engineering by Skoda/VW.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:13   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
unless you are Hyundai/ Maruti who can get away with anything.
IMO its the other way around isn't it ?

The fact that we don't mention Tata/Mahindra in the same breath as Hyundai/Maruti reaffirmed that.
And don't we also buy Toyotas and Hondas for their reliability and no nonsense approach ?

My point being that a reputation is built over a long time of performance on ground. And the cars earn their reputation based on their performance in every area.
This IMO is perfectly natural and not unique to India.

On the fuel quality varying across regions, Skoda should talk to IOCL, BP, HP etc. as to why are they selling varying quality of fuel across regions. The loose talk of "north" doens't hold, if they have data then they should break it down at least to state level so buyers, oil companies and authorities are well informed to act upon it.

Intended Pun :
Meanwhile, with no fault in the car being established, Skoda can do a recall of all the dealerships in the affected regions and move them all to the regions they wish to serve. At least customers in those areas will have a Skoda outlet every few kms in that rare case of them encountering the error

They can repeat the same for that area until they find a place worthy enough for the Emperor to reign.

Last edited by shancz : 29th September 2021 at 22:33. Reason: added ccl
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:29   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
People are advised to stay away from new cars to avoid niggles or small design flaws of first batch products
Which are also getting reported by Kushaq owners! Like these below, complaints of poor build, rattles and parts coming off (from a Skoda!!!) and electronics niggles, especially with wipers and windows. However - due to EPC issues, these are not getting much attention.

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-fb_img_1632916576498.jpg
Source

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-fb_img_1632922579847.jpg
Source

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-85f3b14498d34e1c906846245ed403b1.jpeg
Source

Skoda Kushaq breakdowns & problems-fb_img_1632922681949.jpg
Source

One thing is for sure, even forgetting all EPC complaints - this build quality isn't the usual Skoda we know till date! Hopefully these are also improved very soon, and the obvious cost-cutting gets corrected at least in the upcoming MQB A0 IN sedan.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th September 2021 at 22:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 00:06   #339
BHPian

T-ROC recommends using 95 octane rated petrol. I think the Skoda Kushaq & Volkswagen Taigun share the 1.5 TSI engine with T-ROC. Is filling up with generally available 91 Octane rated petrol causing these problems.

Off-Topic: I now see most Indian Oil pumps providing 95 octane rated petrol advertised as XP95
RR96 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:03   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which are also getting reported by Kushaq owners! Like these below, complaints of poor build, rattles and parts coming off (from a Skoda!!!) and electronics niggles, especially with wipers and windows. However - due to EPC issues, these are not getting much attention.
One thing is for sure, even forgetting all EPC complaints - this build quality isn't the usual Skoda we know till date! Hopefully these are also improved very soon, and the obvious cost-cutting gets corrected at least in the upcoming MQB A0 IN sedan.
By the pricking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes...

One is getting a not so good feeling about the whole thing. It just shows (IMO) that the VW group are not adept at bringing low cost/VFM/for India - call it what you will - like the Japs or the Koreans. Which begs the next question - 'if' these offerings don't fare well (hope they fare well for sure), how long would they want to pursue the effort?
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 11:09   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
'if' these offerings don't fare well (hope they fare well for sure), how long would they want to pursue the effort?
My points exactly.
I was counting on the India 2.0 strategy from the group. Always expected niggles but these breakdowns and lack of a root cause and solution make me feel a bit sceptical about their future. Hope they sort it out soon.

But what concerns me further is those falling off cabin lights. Not a major issue but this shows the lack of quality control in fittings and in essence putting the car together.
This is not what you expect from any car in 2021 let alone a Skoda/VW.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 11:37   #342
BHPian

Quote:

We need to differentiate between niggles & product failures. EPC issue is not a niggle, it has left many people stranded with their families. Defeats the whole purpose of owning a car, this is a product failure not a niggle.

I would rather live with 10 niggles rather then getting stranded at night with my family.
Engine_Roars is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 11:43   #343
Team-BHP Support

I'm amused at how expectations get tempered.

15-20 lac rupees is NOT cheap and the segment is getting better quality-wise with newer launches, so I hope Skoda realise and take action to ensure the MQB-A0-IN platform doesn't become synonymous with 'It's India-specific because it won't sell anywhere else, and/or get our pants sued off us'.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 11:47   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel really sad for the owners of Kushaq facing issues. It strengthens my firm belief of never to touch a Skoda even with a barge pole. No offence to current and future owners but for a person staying in a Tier 3 city, trusted brands are the one to pick. I cannot think of getting stuck in my hometown with nearest service center 75kms away from home.

Quote:

Well, it's partly true and partly not. For example, look at Maruti or Hyundai cars, if you look at the ratio of number of complaints raised to number of cars sold, it's pretty miniscule. Plus none of the launches of Maruti has suffered a major issue like this. Infact they've started recalling vehicles which is a big surprise. I've owned Marutis and Hyundais only but don't consider me a fan boy, I hate Maruti for being morally CHEAP by offering mediocre products without much safety features. But for me, Maruti is saviour as it has the easiest approachable service center for me.
BoneCollector is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 11:48   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Agree.

But the more amusing aspect is this.

How does someone who reads this forum (Archives especially) properly have the heart to put their money down on a Skoda?
Kosfactor is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks