Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 19:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

A year back my car's original windshield had to be replaced after a stone hit. Got it repaired at an authorised servicing centre and paid via insurance. Now nearly 8 months after that, I found that there is water leakage through the top part - the section above the windshield.

I first noticed this during a trip within Bangalore city when there was continous downpour. The same happened again last week end when I drove down to coastal Karnataka where there was heavy rain fall.

The water is also getting accumulated on the false ceiling area just above the rear view mirror. And when I brake hard, the front console (Ganesha idol, the A/C vents, stereo set) gets a nice wash.

Is there a quick way to fix this? Or does it involve removing the windshield and relaying it? To be frank, I am not very keen on approaching the authorised service centre again (they were too slow last time, and looks like have also done a shoddy job).

Thanks in advance.
sachinpk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A year back my car's original windshield had to be replaced after a stone hit. Got it repaired at an authorised servicing centre and paid via insurance. Now nearly 8 months after that, I found that there is water leakage through the top part - the section above the windshield.

I first noticed this during a trip within Bangalore city when there was continous downpour. The same happened again last week end when I drove down to coastal Karnataka where there was heavy rain fall.

The water is also getting accumulated on the false ceiling area just above the rear view mirror. And when I brake hard, the front console (Ganesha idol, the A/C vents, stereo set) gets a nice wash.

Is there a quick way to fix this? Or does it involve removing the windshield and relaying it? To be frank, I am not very keen on approaching the authorised service centre again (they were too slow last time, and looks like have also done a shoddy job).

Thanks in advance.
While I don't doubt your observation, the leak may also be caused due to antenna seal which is immediately above the center roof console. It's fairly common if the seal gets dislodged or damaged due to age. Get it checked first.

Removing the sunshades and center console and then lowering the roofliner a bit will give a clearer picture. Then take any action accordingly.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
While I don't doubt your observation, the leak may also be caused due to antenna seal which is immediately above the center roof console.
Thanks for pointing that out. I kind of ignored it, because the antenna at the roof top was put up by the manufacturer only. It is not a custom made antenna which I fixed later.
Old 13th October 2021, 17:03   #4
BHPian

I had the same problem on my 2009 Jazz. Turned out the antenna mound had gaps, and also that my windshield had some gaps too due to glue decomposition.
Windshield experts did a good job of refitting my windshield and some RTV was used to seal up the antenna gaps.
Old 14th October 2021, 00:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I second the antenna seal leak being the culprit. I had a similar issue with my Beats antenna leaking after the seal disintegrated
Old 14th October 2021, 11:28   #6
BHPian

Just a hunch, did they replace the windshield beading? The rubber one? Some superstar technicians just forget to do this and lay the windshield without it. It'll stay just fine, but water creeps in slowly.
Old 14th October 2021, 19:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I second the antenna seal leak being the culprit. I had a similar issue with my Beats antenna leaking after the seal disintegrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Just a hunch, did they replace the windshield beading? The rubber one? Some superstar technicians just forget to do this and lay the windshield without it. It'll stay just fine, but water creeps in slowly.
The trouble maker was the windshield only. The previous service agency who replaced the windshield did not apply the seal/glue properly. On the driver' side there was nearly half a foot area where there was no glue applied at all.

I did not check the beading part. My gut feeling is that the new service agency have NOT bothered to do it. But after this had gone for long drives, with heavy rain fall during the drive. So far so good. No more leakages.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks