Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 19:06   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,418
Thanked: 1,025 Times
Default Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

A year back my car's original windshield had to be replaced after a stone hit. Got it repaired at an authorised servicing centre and paid via insurance. Now nearly 8 months after that, I found that there is water leakage through the top part - the section above the windshield.

I first noticed this during a trip within Bangalore city when there was continous downpour. The same happened again last week end when I drove down to coastal Karnataka where there was heavy rain fall.

The water is also getting accumulated on the false ceiling area just above the rear view mirror. And when I brake hard, the front console (Ganesha idol, the A/C vents, stereo set) gets a nice wash.

Is there a quick way to fix this? Or does it involve removing the windshield and relaying it? To be frank, I am not very keen on approaching the authorised service centre again (they were too slow last time, and looks like have also done a shoddy job).

Thanks in advance.
sachinpk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 4,959
Thanked: 35,300 Times
Default re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A year back my car's original windshield had to be replaced after a stone hit. Got it repaired at an authorised servicing centre and paid via insurance. Now nearly 8 months after that, I found that there is water leakage through the top part - the section above the windshield.

I first noticed this during a trip within Bangalore city when there was continous downpour. The same happened again last week end when I drove down to coastal Karnataka where there was heavy rain fall.

The water is also getting accumulated on the false ceiling area just above the rear view mirror. And when I brake hard, the front console (Ganesha idol, the A/C vents, stereo set) gets a nice wash.

Is there a quick way to fix this? Or does it involve removing the windshield and relaying it? To be frank, I am not very keen on approaching the authorised service centre again (they were too slow last time, and looks like have also done a shoddy job).

Thanks in advance.
While I don't doubt your observation, the leak may also be caused due to antenna seal which is immediately above the center roof console. It's fairly common if the seal gets dislodged or damaged due to age. Get it checked first.

Removing the sunshades and center console and then lowering the roofliner a bit will give a clearer picture. Then take any action accordingly.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:21   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,418
Thanked: 1,025 Times
Default Re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
While I don't doubt your observation, the leak may also be caused due to antenna seal which is immediately above the center roof console.
Thanks for pointing that out. I kind of ignored it, because the antenna at the roof top was put up by the manufacturer only. It is not a custom made antenna which I fixed later.
sachinpk is offline  
Old 13th October 2021, 17:03   #4
BHPian
 
lemedico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Agra, Cambridge
Posts: 290
Thanked: 672 Times
Default Re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

I had the same problem on my 2009 Jazz. Turned out the antenna mound had gaps, and also that my windshield had some gaps too due to glue decomposition.
Windshield experts did a good job of refitting my windshield and some RTV was used to seal up the antenna gaps.
lemedico is offline  
Old 14th October 2021, 00:50   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Mortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,082
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

I second the antenna seal leak being the culprit. I had a similar issue with my Beats antenna leaking after the seal disintegrated
Mortis is offline  
Old 14th October 2021, 11:28   #6
BHPian
 
unoczar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 445
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Just a hunch, did they replace the windshield beading? The rubber one? Some superstar technicians just forget to do this and lay the windshield without it. It'll stay just fine, but water creeps in slowly.
unoczar is offline  
Old 14th October 2021, 19:32   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,418
Thanked: 1,025 Times
Default Re: Leaking windshield in my Maruti Vitara Brezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I second the antenna seal leak being the culprit. I had a similar issue with my Beats antenna leaking after the seal disintegrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Just a hunch, did they replace the windshield beading? The rubber one? Some superstar technicians just forget to do this and lay the windshield without it. It'll stay just fine, but water creeps in slowly.
The trouble maker was the windshield only. The previous service agency who replaced the windshield did not apply the seal/glue properly. On the driver' side there was nearly half a foot area where there was no glue applied at all.

I did not check the beading part. My gut feeling is that the new service agency have NOT bothered to do it. But after this had gone for long drives, with heavy rain fall during the drive. So far so good. No more leakages.
sachinpk is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks