Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 00:37   #31
BHPian

re: Rolling the windows down before turning on the A/C

I mostly don't roll down the windows in a moving car and also use the air conditioner in re-circulation mode only. This is primarily due to the highly dusty air with high PM levels in Delhi and Gurugram (it's a phenomenon with most tier 1 cities).

I however do leave the front doors and and all the windows open for about 7-10 minutes before I board the car it if its been left parked under direct sunlight. Not only does it let all the trapped air escape, it also helps bring down the temperature of all the cabin surfaces pretty quickly. This in turn allows the air-conditioner to cool the cabin much more quickly and work more efficiently thereafter. I use these 7-10 minutes to setup my music playlist, pay utility bills, order stuff online, or simply have a quick phone conversation with family and friends.

As for the air-conditioner, I usually set it at 23 or 24 degrees with the fan speed set at 3. In a rare case if I feel chilly at even 24 degrees due to lower outside temperatures, I turn the air direction to dehumidify + feet position.

Last edited by Herschey : 21st September 2021 at 00:41.
Herschey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:06   #32
BHPian

Re: Rolling the windows down before turning on the A/C

I do not have the luxury of a covered parking, so my routine is to roll down the front windows with the fan in full blast for 2-3 mins and then roll up with the AC set to 23-24C. Being in Bangalore I see that the cabin cools down in 5-10 mins.
skarface is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:27   #33
BHPian

My standard is, when I start the car, I let it idle for at least 45 seconds. I do not roll down my windows as the fumes from the exhaust tend to get in (apartment cellar). I never down my windows in city traffic. However, if I park it in the sun, I ensure to down the windows while the AC is running but I do not drive. I wait for a minute or two and when the cabin looks comfortable to sit in, I drive. I also do not switch on AC immediately. I drive until the doors autolock and the fan speed is set at level 2 until then. Once the doors lock (which happens around 600 meters of drive), I switch on the AC and the temp is auto set at 22 degrees. If the outside temp is hot, I move it down to 20 or even 19 basis requirement and people on board.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Wouldn't the accumulated gases be circulated out by the car's ac?
I haven't used Bluelink nor do I have anyone in the family who does. But from what I've read, Bluelink does not open the circulation vent (or does it?). If the vent doesn't open those gases will stay within the car itself.

Completely agree with Akshay's post here, the VWs have been smart to offer that feature, especially useful when the car is parked for a longer period. I can just leave the windows open (if only a small bit) and not have to wait too long to close them after getting in the car itself.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed