Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

This kind of shortsightedness by skipping underbody engine guard by car companies has been prevalent since long. When I bought my first car Opel Astra 1.6 Petrol it had a mighty thick engine guard metal plate. It was BIG and covered the entire engine area from below. I remember driving that car on rough roads strewn with rocks and undulations near Vasai during the mid 2000's.

It was only after I started observing other cars especially Maruti, Honda, Hyundai, etc. did I realize that these cars have NO underbody protection for the engine whatsoever except maybe two bars running parallel to each other while the mid section was completely uncovered such that one could literally see the road below. I guess this saying goes true, "You get what you pay for."

I believe Skoda cars offer such complete underbody protection. When I say underbody protection, I mean thick metal plates and not those sissy plastic covers.

If offered as an option, one should install them as an insurance against unforeseen impacts. In motorcycling world there are a plethora of options for engine guard, sump guard, etc. the car companies should learn a thing or two from motorcycle companies offering OEM guards.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:46   #32
BHPian

Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

Honda iVTEC Drivers beware.

Our oil sumps are terribly delicate too. It's cast aluminium and cracks on impact. No bending.
There is NO underbody protection either. Not even plastic from the factory.

Earlier this month, my family was stranded away from home in the middle of the night because the oil sump was hit by a stone. Car is still in the SVC.

Will share pics by end of day.
viXit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes, 3rd Gen Dzires, Swifts and Balenos can have them easily, it's literally plug and play for you guys. There are many pics in my XL6 thread of those cars.

Regards,
Shashi
The 2021 dualjet swift now has this as standard. Not sure of the Baleno.
kedar_GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Honda iVTEC Drivers beware.

Our oil sumps are terribly delicate too. It's cast aluminium and cracks on impact. No bending.
There is NO underbody protection either. Not even plastic from the factory.
Sorry to hear that.

Boodmo does list two engine covers for the iVTech engine option. Maybe worth taking a look at them if you haven't done it already

Wish there was something similar for ANHC. I guess fabricating something custom might be worth looking into. Our roads are definitely not getting any better (once a few years pass) in my limited experience.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Speaking from Maruti cars POV, there is huge opening at the rear(below the firewall). And the underbody cover/trim doesn't completely seal off the bottom, it still has numerous tiny holes for drainage etc.
If that is enough to expel all the air volume that is entering the engine compartment through the grill even at high speeds, then there is no harm in installing the engine cover in the bottom.

If this is not the case and you are not sure, please do not install an engine cover that will seal the bottom of the engine bay , it will mess with the airflow and with increased use of plastics inside the engine bay you are going to break something soon - not to mention that the battery and ECU as well is sitting inside the engine bay.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sole_rider View Post
+1 to this.
I would have gone ahead and installed one if it was possible even with some jugaad. I am sure there will be more like me who are ready to pay a few thousands more if they get a little more peace of mind.
I was thinking about the same. Even if the mounting parts are not provided by default, can we not install the mounting parts too and then have engine guard fixed in the Ignis? Can LeoShashi please let us know that?

I saw a metal engine guard on Google but it needs to be imported and is darn expensive!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:31   #37
BHPian

Here are the pictures.

Highway speeds, and rocks can wreak havoc for a car without adequate protection underneath.

Somewhere on the GMR HYD Vijaywada expressway. A truck carrying rocks had sent them flying all over the road. 5 on board. 80KMPH. A rock went under the car and hit the oil pan. Loud noise but car kept going. 30 seconds later, low oil pressure lamp started flickering rapidly and then solid. Car was stopped to the side of the road to inspect the damage.

Initial finding:
Oil sump is dripping oil slowly..

Action Taken:
Caught a lift and went to the nearest petrol bunk and bought two cans of 15w40. Wrong grade, but wrong oil is better than no oil.

Oil immediately started to pour out.

It was only dripping initially but that was because all the oil had already left the sump following the hit.

Here is a video recorded on the spot from under.
initial hit

We started from HYD with tow straps and shackles just in case.
Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-pxl_20210904_195641994.jpg

In the mean time,
they managed to get m seal to seal the leak. It kept falling off due to the oily surface. But after all the oil had dripped out. It was cleaned with soap from the outside and 8 packs of m seal were stuck on the crack to help seal it.

Temporary fix with M seal

By the time we reached them in the safari, the M seal had sealed well, they filled oil again, checked for leaks, warnings or noises and started back.

After rendez vous, I drove the amaze back to the city. It was still dripping so we overfilled to compensate.

You can see the oil soaking all around the sump.

And the oil splattered all across the the underbody in the pics
Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163507.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163509.jpg

Fuel tank soaked in oil.
Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163517.jpg

Left it at the SVC next morning. It's still at honda. The icici surveyor is playing games with us. It's almost 20 days now.

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_164019.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163430.jpg  

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163436.jpg  

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163449.jpg  

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163455.jpg  

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210905_163624.jpg  

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-pxl_20210904_211737278.jpg  

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-pxl_20210905_112438895.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 23rd September 2021 at 13:37.
viXit is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 14:51   #38
BHPian

So finally we know why MSIL has won the Indian Market while Fiat has struggled and lost. Fiat should have also ditched this heavy, solid well engineered metal engine/sump guard in the Linea and gone the Maruti way. Would have probably helped the fuel efficiency as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-img_20190608_154037.jpg  

sai_ace is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Sorry to hear that.

Boodmo does list two engine covers for the iVTech engine option. Maybe worth taking a look at them if you haven't done it already
Hi,
Are these a problem on the Honda Brio too?
How much did this ordeal cost you?
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:38   #40
BHPian

Hi Leoshashi,

Any engine guard which you feel will fit the Brezza, as an easy fit ? (From the Maruti stable)

The whole incident reinforces the need to have some sort of underbody protection.

Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:20   #41

I have been trying to find an engine guard for my baleno delta. I checked with the local maruti service station as well but the said it is not available.

Has anyone got any leads on this??
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:18   #42
BHPian

Oh Boy, this was exactly my fear and I had posted on the Scross thread couple of weeks ago, i was always confident negotiating broken roads on the Punto knowing well the engine was.protected by a robust plate. Now with the Scross, it's slightly lower, and has a gaping hole right below the Oil sump.

Nexa has a rat mesh for 1k, but no engine guard and unlike what Leoshashi did on the XL6 I don't think there is any stock options to retrofit. A stupid omission on an otherwise well put together car.

I did see some after market options from Europe., however they are quite expensive and mostly may not ship all the way to India.
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Hi,
Are these a problem on the Honda Brio too?
How much did this ordeal cost you?

Not sure if this is directed to me, but yes sir.

Your car is at risk too.
There is not even a plastic protection under the oil sump. and it's a very brittle material.

It sucks. I'm driving extremely cautiously in my sedans now. Mad paranoia since the incident.
My safari has a solid plate at an angle. I want something like that for all my cars. I might fabricate something once I get some time on my hands
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 23:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Not sure if this is directed to me, but yes sir.

Your car is at risk too.
There is not even a plastic protection under the oil sump. and it's a very brittle material.

It sucks. I'm driving extremely cautiously in my sedans now. Mad paranoia since the incident.
My safari has a solid plate at an angle. I want something like that for all my cars. I might fabricate something once I get some time on my hands
Vixit,

Yes, this was indeed directed at you.
Did the oil pump leakage happened from a Honda city or a Honda amaze?

If it is indeed from Honda amaze, do kindly try to get the part number for the engine guard (I own a Honda brio).

We are planning a drive from Bangalore to Vizag via Vijayawada.
As you know, there are absolutely no roads from Eluru to Rajahmundry.

So this accessory is of utmost importance to my car.

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 23rd September 2021 at 23:36.
Old 24th September 2021, 08:51   #45

I thought about this when buying the Swift last year and then to be honest didn't really think about this until a few weeks back when the bottom scraped against something (was babying the car in a road diversion but still had a scrape). Could not pull to the side of the road as it was pitch dark and said a prayer and watched the instrument cluster for any warning light to pop up. Stopped after a few minutes where there was sufficient light and knelt down and checked. Could not see any leaks and I was thanking my stars. Was travelling with my wife, MIL and SIL and shudder to think what would have happened if there had been any damage to the oil sump or any of the engine components as it was remote road and it was night.

Thanks to LeoShashi for this wonderful information and I have been calling my SA from last night to find out if I can place an order via MASS and get it sourced. Wonder why Maruthi skips this as a standard fitment. I called the sales advisor and he said sir, company doesn't fit these things since performance shouldn't suffer - he knew jack about the Dualjet Swift getting one as a standard fitment from the factory. Make of it what you will! Waiting for the SA to call back.
jazrox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks