Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 11:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

Guys! Look what I found.
Please look at the bottom of the bumper on Ignis UK Version
Name:  UKV.png
Views: 1702
Size:  678.8 KB

And now take a look at the one in India
Name:  India.png
Views: 1534
Size:  599.1 KB

What is this longer black part that we have missing? Can we get it here?
Please let us know if anyone has an idea.
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:03   #47
BHPian

Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

On Indian roads an engine guard is a necessity and not an optional component. It is disheartening to see OEMs skimping on this essential piece of equipment. Also, while some protection is better than no protection, a proper metal engine guard should be the way to go, and not a plastic one that some OEMs provide.

Many car owners find out the hard way that their car doesn't have an engine guard. And if your car happens to have low ground clearance like mine, then you will bottom out at some point for sure. I have lost count of the number of times the engine guard on my car has got bent over the last 8 years of ownership. Every time that has happened, it has saved my car from further damage.

Hence even if the OEM does not provide an engine guard, try to get one retrofitted at a workshop.
Old 24th September 2021, 12:51   #48
BHPian

I think i will make one for my sx4 using a galvanized sheet which should provide plenty protection along with the skid plate that already come at the sides to prevent such a unfortunate incident happening.

I think maruti should make it standard for all its models rather keeping that ugly gaping hole which is visible from the top when you open the bonnet.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quick question.

Does Sonet comes with an engine guard?
If not, is there a way to source it?
Old 24th September 2021, 13:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I think i will make one for my sx4 using a galvanized sheet
Take double care or you would end up with a Rust magnet affecting the entire car.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 23:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Guys! Look what I found.
Attachment 2211243

Attachment 2211244

That's just an air deflector strip.
ASP007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 23:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP007 View Post
That's just an air deflector strip.
Dang! Cost cutting even at this level!

I still need to know if Ignis can be fixed with the DZire/Swift engine guard including the missing side bracket since all of them are built on Heartect platform. Or are there 2 variants of that platform?

If we can get that bracket fitted then installing the guard should not be a problem.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Take double care or you would end up with a Rust magnet affecting the entire car.
Isn't a galvanized sheet coated with zinc to avoid corrosion?

If not il give it two coats of primer then use a high temperature paint . Would appreciate your inputs.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:47   #54
BHPian

Is there an engine guard available for i20 active SX (2016) petrol variant? I asked the service advisor and he said no such thing is available.
Old 25th September 2021, 11:58   #55
BHPian

Offering underbody protection/oil sump gaurd should be one of the most basics in Indian driving conditions. Staggering that so many of them skip this .

IMO, it should not even be an accessory. Must be standard across all variants.
Old 28th September 2021, 21:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Guys! Look what I found.
Attachment 2211243

Attachment 2211244

The UK and European cannot be compared with the Maruti. The European models of the Suzuki Swift and the Ignis are both hybrid 4X4.

The hybrid system is different from the normal hybrids. The Suzuki has a dynastarter which is a combined starter and alternator in one unit. During acceleration, the dynastarter provides electrical power assist.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:20   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
The UK and European cannot be compared with the Maruti.... During acceleration, the dynastarter provides electrical power assist.
Ok. Agreed that both are different in the ways you mentioned. But is platform different too? Is the Suzuki Ignis 4WD in Europe without the engine cover too?

If they are the same and only the Indian counterpart is missing them, can we retrofit it ( guard and the missing side flanks)

Last edited by RavSam : 28th September 2021 at 22:38.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
If they are the same and only the Indian counterpart is missing them, can we retrofit it ( guard and the missing side planks)
I am sure they are a retrofit. Let me try to visit the dealer in town tomorrow. I hope I will have some time off from work. Otherwise I will do it for you as soon as possible not later than coming Saturday.

All later model cars in Norway comes with the engine skid plate. My old 1997 VW had one as standard. Even the 1993 model VW like mine had one.
I have removed mine and found that there is much more noise without the guard.

Some companies sell aftermarket skid plates made of thicker metal and aliminium.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 28th September 2021 at 22:37.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I am sure they are a retrofit. Let me try to visit the dealer in town tomorrow....Some companies sell aftermarket skid plates made of thicker metal and aliminium.
Oh man! Thankyou so much in advance!

I am sure that other Ignis owners would also find it very very useful. The missing guard is the Only piece of worry in this otherwise brilliant little car.
Old 28th September 2021, 22:50   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The missing guard is the Only piece of worry in this otherwise brilliant little car.
That part shown in the UK model is just a lip like spoiler. I just checked in the used car ads here.

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-suzuki.jpg
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed