Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Old 21st September 2021, 06:55   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km

Came across this case on FB: First let's learn more about the case. Screenshots of gentleman's post:

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-screenshot_20210921063727_chrome.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-screenshot_20210921063739_chrome.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-screenshot_20210921063748_chrome.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-screenshot_20210921063758_chrome.jpg

Pics:

[center]Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-242014988_2671293149843574_8035293212289310725_n.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-242127202_2671292989843590_9042305534114659873_n.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-242134212_2671292949843594_8736628183677299945_n.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-242175208_2671293193176903_4917019094054493954_n.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-242189620_2671293289843560_8881214802959475221_n.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-242225066_2671293239843565_2540357661424871762_n.jpg

My take: It's clear that the oil pan is pierced at the point of impact, and to me it looks like a case of flying projectile from tyres since there is no impact mark on the front plastic trim covering the lower member, and the point of impact is also quite deep inside compared to surrounding areas which look clean.

In past I've also come across similar cases where critical engine components got damaged without owners actually running over anything. For example:

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-sss.jpg

This is precisely the reason why I got Engine guard installed in my XL6 which is an OE fit in DualJet equipped Dzires and Swifts. Link to the post (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review)

Maruti should acknowledge this and not indulge in such misery, and offer engine covers at least as an accessory to all existing and future owners.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd September 2021 at 10:43.
Leoshashi is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 08:21   #2

Default Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
In past I've also come across similar cases where critical engine components got damaged without owners actually running over anything. For example:
Woah that's scary!

Will the insurance cover such cases if one doesn't have engine protect clause added to the policy?
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 09:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My take: It's clear that the oil pan is pierced at the point of impact, and to me it looks like a case of flying projectile from tyres
The engine cover costs Rs 1600/- which Maruti could have easily added to their so called "premium" cars. Heck, they should just add it to all their cars. Period. IMO, the current engine cover is thin and it would have been better to have an engine cover made of thicker plastic offering much better underbody protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKMADDY17 View Post
Will the insurance cover such cases if one doesn't have engine protect clause added to the policy?
Not sure about this as you can look at it as a) Own damage, in which case insurance should cover OR b) manufacturing defect, in which case insurance will deny the claim and you will be left at the mercy of Maruti.
procrj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:01   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km

Thanks for sharing, Leoshashi! Copying your post out to a new thread so as to warn others. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

It is incredibly stupid why/how manufacturers skip on the skid plate, especially given our road conditions. We have stones, potholes the size of a politician's ego, debris and what not littered all over our road network.

Our Honda City didn't get one, the Ford EcoSport petrol doesn't get it but the diesel does. I pestered Ford ASC for months at end to source it so I could fit it on my petrol ES but they couldn't/wouldn't. Since the root problem can't be fixed, the least manufacturers can do is to have India-specific solutions.

This is of course, Maruti so less of a surprise. Hopefully, at least this chap got a dozen stickers plastered. Or is that for the upcoming Anniversary edition?
libranof1987 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKMADDY17 View Post
Woah that's scary!

This will not be covered by insurance unless you have "engine/gearbox protection" add-on cover. Very important to note that zero depreciation add-on also doesn't cover this. In the insurance speak, it is called "consequential loss" and your claim will be denied under a regular policy without such add-on.

I personally know of a case where the oil sump hit a stone, there was no crack or leakage of oil but a small piece of metal chipped off inside the sump and killed the engine. Insurance was denied (zero depreciation policy) and the owner had to pay from his pocket to replace the engine block. They didn't replace the turbo unit during repair and it was found out later that the turbo was also damaged due to lubricant starvation. Car under question was a 6-month old Polo TSI - bill including turbo came close to 4L, 100% paid by the owner.

Here is the wordings for such add-on from Bajaj Allianz.
Quote:
ENGINE PROTECTOR
Add on Cover under Private Car Policy -Bundled
Endorsement Wordings
In consideration of payment of additional premium, it is hereby agreed and declared that this Policy extends to cover the consequential damage to the internal child parts of the engine of the Insured Vehicle arising out of water ingression/ leakage of lubricating oil and/or damage to gear box of the Insured Vehicle arising out of leakage of
lubricating oil due to Accidental means. Under this cover, We will compensate You for the following:
  • Repair or replacement of the internal child parts of the engine such as pistons, connecting rods, crank shaft and cylinder head
  • Repair or replacement of the internal parts of the gear box such as gears or shafts in the gear box housing
  • Labour cost incurred by You to overhaul the damaged engine and gear box

Last edited by androdev : 22nd September 2021 at 12:26.
androdev is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:48   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

Quote:
[b]
My take: It's clear that the oil pan is pierced at the point of impact, and to me it looks like a case of flying projectile from tyres since there is no impact mark on the front plastic trim covering the lower member, and the point of impact is also quite deep inside compared to surrounding areas which look clean.
I was under the impression that the oil pan /sump is made of machined aluminium or similar such robust material and should be able to withstand impact of flying small stones etc thrown in from the tyres.
Looking at the image shared, it seems to be a pretty deep hole made in the sump. Doesn't look like a flying projectile damage atleast from the first glance, more of the sump banging or hitting something hard while driving.

Driver error or manufacturing defect? Difficult to ascertain, IMHO.
JoshMachine is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:01   #8
BHPian

The Renault Kwid oil sump is made of plastic. I wonder how much of rough use can it take.

https://www.carwale.com/renault-cars...reviews/47387/
pradkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Instead of pushing customers to take useless chrome, cushions and other accessories this should come up as a mandatory offering, if not offered default on the product. Awareness should also be spread about why this part is important. I have seen in the past where a mechanic threw away similar casing (guard) with the permission of the owner so that the car can be serviced easily in the future
TrackDay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that the car would have gone over some road hump with protuding stones sticking out.

For a flying stone to puncture a hole into cast aluminium, the stone has to have very high velocity.

All these headaches could have been avoided, had Maruti provided a basic underbody gaurd.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with the OP, underbody protection that covers the sump should be installed on every car.
If not standard, get it installed yourself.
I did so earlier this year on my polo before going for a trip to the hills . It does give you a lot of confidence to go over bad patches to know that the most important parts are well protected.

It used to be a standard fit on polo until around 2014 model year but seems to have been removed as a cost cutting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This will not be covered by insurance unless you have "engine/gearbox protection" add-on cover. Very important to note that zero depreciation add-on also doesn't cover this. In the insurance speak, it is called "consequential loss" and your claim will be denied under a regular policy without such add-on.

I personally know of a case where the oil sump hit a stone, there was no crack or leakage of oil but a small piece of metal chipped off inside the sump and killed the engine. Insurance was denied (zero depreciation policy) and the owner had to pay from his pocket to replace the engine block. They didn't replace the turbo unit during repair and it was found out later that the turbo was also damaged due to lubricant starvation. Car under question was a 6-month old Polo TSI - bill including turbo came close to 4L, 100% paid by the owner.
Exactly the kind of scenario that scared me. When you see the underbody on polo, you can clearly see the engine and gearbox exposed. Even though i have engine and gearbox cover, this seemed like (literally) the chink in its armor. So got it done.

Here is the underbody as it came from the factory
Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210410_145315.jpg

Here it is with the underbody guard installed

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210410_152407.jpg

Here is the part number (this is for 1.2 TSI)
Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-20210410_152614.jpg

Last edited by agambhandari : 22nd September 2021 at 13:37.
agambhandari is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:55   #12
BHPian

Ok I am convinced (I do have to renew insurance on the car next month and I planned to take engine cover too but some protection couldn't hurt).

Does anyone here know if Honda makes these for the ANHC? I can see engine covers for the 4th gen on Boodmo but not ANHC.
JithinR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:55   #13
BHPian

There is such a good business opportunity for all manufacturers to offer a rough road package. In our conditions this would be a boon and an absolute necessity.

Instead of those forced accessories "package" that they dump like pillows and "chrome garnish". It really bothers me that in such a good market why would they miss such things.
NevGin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:06   #14

Quote:

Maruti should acknowledge this and not indulge in such misery, and offer engine covers at least as an accessory to all existing and future owners.

Regards,
Shashi
+1 to this.

Maruti should absolutely provide some sort of under body protection. I wanted to install an engine guard on my Ignis. But due to lack of proper mounting points it's not going to happen. I would have gone ahead and installed one if it was possible even with some jugaad. I am sure there will be more like me who are ready to pay a few thousands more if they get a little more peace of mind. The thought of some projectile shooting from the wheels and hitting the engine makes me worried.
sole_rider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 16:09   #15
BHPian

I dont think flying stones did that damage. I would think the car was driven over an angled metal rod that punctured the sump. It is just impossible for a small stone to cause that damage. To get such a small hole, it had to be a sharp object. The ribs beside are not damaged.

I find it strange that insurance will not cover this damage as it happened suddenly while driving.

My problem with this case is why did he not stop the car when he lost oil pressure? The car would have been flashing and buzzing which would be impossible to ignore.

An engine does not seize as soon as oil pressure drops. You need to drive for a few minutes and kilometers before damage occurs.

I replace my oil filter only at every other oil change. After draining the sump, I start the engine and let it idle for 10-15 seconds to empty the liter of oil still in the filter.

I would like to think that this is caused by a production fault and that damaged happened from the inside. I see a piece of aluminium sticking out but the pictures are too unclear to conclude.
The damage is close to the bellhousing and the clutch inside is spinning as fast as the engine. A loose bolt or nut thrown off at speed should be enough to cause that damage. Even pieces of a broken spring can cause it.

Lets hope that they dismantle the engine before refusing any claims.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 22nd September 2021 at 16:15.
Indian2003 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed