Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 10:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Fuel injector / pump failures due to fuel adulteration in all Skoda cars?

I agree with the others that the injector issue is common across the VW group. My 1.6TDI is idle for most of the time due to the injector issues and I'm not confident to take it for a longer distance due to its unreliable state now.
I changed one injector and I got the warning light to change the other one. I was told that this issue does not stop until you change all the injectors as the functioning of the new vs old injectors would cause the old injectors to fail quickly - I'm not sure of the technical side of it, but that's what I was told by the VW SA.
Old 29th September 2021, 14:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have an Octavia 2 TDI 2016 model with 60k kms. Though while in Bangalore I fill only from Shell, out on the highways and trips have filled from various petrol bunks. Till now I have not had any issues.
Is 2 TDI safe from these issues? Or its a time bomb ticking for me?
Old 29th September 2021, 15:18   #18
BHPian

Any idea on which OEM injectors are used in Hyundai cars, especially Creta 2020 1.5D AT?

As per 1.5 Diesel Creta service instructions, Hyundai recommends Replacing the 'Fuel filter cartridge' at 20K Kms/2Years interval.

Sometimes, during our trips we have no option other than filling from an unknown pump at a remote location.

Are these injector issues reported mostly for VW/Renault group engines only?
Old 29th September 2021, 16:39   #19
BHPian

My Skoda Rapid 1.5 faced injector issue 2 weeks back. Had to replace one at around Rs 25K.

The car has run 45K and has recently refueled in Indian Oil bunk about 10Kms before the warning light came on. This was an oil pump in HSR Bangalore.

I have had to replace 4 ABS sensors, once every 6 months or so. That is another Skoda issue.

Last edited by Sidban85 : 29th September 2021 at 16:40.
Old 29th September 2021, 17:36   #20
BHPian

I wonder what testing they have done. Even after being for two decades in India, they haven't been able to produce a car which can withstand Indian conditions.

Now, if they claim the aldultrated fuel is the reason, I'm sorry you don't deserve to build cars for India. Your market share is miniscule as compared to the other manufacturers and their cars are running on the same or even worse fuel (talking about rural India) from decades without any fuss.

Take a look at the national diesel engine of India, the 1.3MJD. Your diesel cars would have sold just a fraction of those until now. I have seen those engines running on fuel from remotest and most unreliable fuel bunks without a fuss. I myself was a huge fan of you cars but you can't be defended till eternity stating build quality and driving dynamics. What's the meaning of these if my car stays parked in garage most of the times or if I have to shell out a big chunk of my hard earned money every now and then to make my car drivable.

I own a humble Tata Tiago diesel. Once, my father got it fuelled up from a highway fuel bunk and it showed 'water in fuel' glow light after driving a few kilometres. My father was staying away from us due to his job posting and he used to come home at weekends. So, he came home the upcoming weekend and I saw the warning lamp in the instrument cluster and asked him didn't he notice this warning sign. He didn't had much knowledge about cars apart from driving. He said it's been glowing for the past 4-5 days and he has already driven nearly 250-300kms since then and he didn't face any issues. I took the car to Tata service center and they drained the fuel in front of me and showed me the water in it. There was a fair amount of water to make its presence felt in the performance of engine. I was awestruck, there was no change in the performance of the engine and no damage was done to the engine or injectors (thanking my stars and Tata). The mechanic drained all the fuel from tank, supply lines and he also changed the fuel filter. The tank was installed back and the fuel lines were reconnected and the car was good to go. The service center did not charge me a penny extra for all this and only charged for the consumables and fuel filter (it was my last free service).

So, my point is, if you can't design parts robust enough for conditions of a country, you should not sell cars to avoid giving royal pain and misery to the poor soul who trusted you and also to avoid bringing shame to your brand.
Bhupi_BHP is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 19:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
My Skoda Rapid 1.5 faced injector issue 2 weeks back. Had to replace one at around Rs 25K.

The car has run 45K and has recently refueled in Indian Oil bunk about 10Kms before the warning light came on. This was an oil pump in HSR Bangalore.

I have had to replace 4 ABS sensors, once every 6 months or so. That is another Skoda issue.
blimey! This thread has made me jittery as my Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG is 6 year old and recently on stage 1 ECU remap!
My ownership has been mostly troublefree ( apart from the initial ASS nightmare and I moved to an FNG warranty be damned).

Had 3 ABS sensor failure in quick succession during 2020 Covid as the car was mostly stationery.
I fill ONLY in shell pump within Chennai but at the mercy of local pumps during extended drives.
With more smaller runs recently and being afraid of DPF issues, I try to go for a 100/150 KM( or 500/1000 KM) round trip once a month and use shell V-Power for these longer trips ( and whatever is leftover for the city runs ).

IOC seems to be getting more bad vibes than any other fuel companies, going by a few injector failure threads here and on other sites.
Or am I seeing only one side of the story? Are there those many failure stories with BP and HP?
Old 29th September 2021, 21:40   #22
BHPian

Had encountered similar issues with my friends Vento 1.6 Tdi on multiple occasions as well. It appears that Continental injectors are indeed delicate /more prone to issues than other makes (Bosch, for example). The actuators on these injectors fail far too often for comfort.

Securing aftermarket Continental actuators too pose a problem.

I have never seen any such issues with 1.3 MJD diesels.

Hence, pinning the blame on fuel quality sounds a bit lame.

Wonder why VW and a few other manufacturers still persist with this particular brand of injectors

Last edited by bikertillidie : 29th September 2021 at 21:47.
Old 29th September 2021, 23:40   #23
BHPian

To sum it up,
I guess the following should be done for people using their 1.6/1.5 TDIs less due to higher fuel prices or whatever reason.

1. Keep the tank at the full mark to avoid letting any air sit inside the tank which would then lead to moisture getting absorbed by the fuel.

2. Regularly use the diesel injector cleaners (I have been using liqui moly injector cleaner) which are dirt cheap compared to the price of injectors.

3. Strictly change the fuel filter during every service/1 year irrespective of the fact of the number of kilometers driven.

4. Use fuel only from reputed fuel pumps.

5. As BHPian altocumulus mentioned in his post number 12, having a fluctuating current would also lead to the solenoids getting damaged. Get the battery tested and change before it goes bad.

What I would like to add is that just let the car idle for 2-3 mins every morning, just for the sake of the injectors.

Trust me, a friend of mine and me have been doing this in our vento for 3 years. His is driven for about 180000 kms and mine 150000 kms. No injector issue so far and the car drives better too post the idling, otherwise it is very rough.

It would be great if someone could add on so that all of us continental injector owners' pockets could be safe.
gaurav.kokra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 00:03   #24
BHPian

T-ROC recommends using 95 octane rated petrol. I think the Skoda Kushaq & Volkswagen Taigun share the 1.5 TSI engine with T-ROC. Is filling up with generally available 91 Octane rated petrol causing these problems.

Off-Topic: I now see most Indian Oil pumps providing 95 octane rated petrol advertised as XP95
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel injector / pump failures due to fuel adulteration in all Skoda cars?-img_1602.jpg  

RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.kokra View Post
To sum it up,
I guess the following should be done for people using their 1.6/1.5 TDIs less due to higher fuel prices or whatever reason.

1. Keep the tank at the full mark to avoid letting any air sit inside the tank which would then lead to moisture getting absorbed by the fuel.

2. Regularly use the diesel injector cleaners (I have been using liqui moly injector cleaner) which are dirt cheap compared to the price of injectors.

3. Strictly change the fuel filter during every service/1 year irrespective of the fact of the number of kilometers driven.

4. Use fuel only from reputed fuel pumps.

5. As BHPian altocumulus mentioned in his post number 12, having a fluctuating current would also lead to the solenoids getting damaged. Get the battery tested and change before it goes bad.

What I would like to add is that just let the car idle for 2-3 mins every morning, just for the sake of the injectors.

Trust me, a friend of mine and me have been doing this in our vento for 3 years. His is driven for about 180000 kms and mine 150000 kms. No injector issue so far and the car drives better too post the idling, otherwise it is very rough.

It would be great if someone could add on so that all of us continental injector owners' pockets could be safe.
Great points. I tried to search for Liqui Moly Diesel Injector cleaner (online) and found mostly Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive via Amazon and Flipkart. Are they the same or should we look specifically for Injector Cleaner? Also, are there alternate brands that are available in India, which we can use as well. Please suggest.

Last edited by mail2vm : 30th September 2021 at 11:06.
Old 30th September 2021, 11:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
Great points. I tried to search for Liqui Moly Diesel Injector cleaner (online) and found mostly Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive via Amazon and Flipkart. Are they the same or should we look specifically for Injector Cleaner? Also, are there alternate brands that are available in India, which we can use as well. Please suggest.
Yes it is the super diesel additive. The price should be around 320-350. Does the work for around 2000 kms.

I haven't used other brands just for sake of risking the injectors. Used only liqui moly till now.

Also, I have once used this additive from VW. Attaching link for reference. Tried searching it on boodmo but could find it. Had bought it for around 1000 bucks. Experience was really good for me. Opposite to the post I am sharing. Post that I have been using Liqui Moly only considering the costs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4444866 (The Fuel Additives Thread)
gaurav.kokra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 11:40   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It is already worn out, that is why your engine is running rough. Even if we recondition the injectors the result will be the same, replacement is the only option.

A side effect is oil contamination, oil consumption and blowby.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 14:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
To sum it up,

May be noob question(s): (knowing late is better than never learning)

1. Are the above precautions required for all diesel engines. The question is because, I use an Aspire TDCI and have not faced such issues. But I am willing to take precautions if that is necessary.

2. Can also someone mention how to use this Liqui moly Injector cleaner? Like, where and how frequently to add, what quantity of mixing with diesel etc. May follow this precautions for the Jetta bought recently by my friend.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 14:17   #29
BHPian

Water in the diesel is the culprit . Seen often in monsoons withen 20km of filling.
Old 1st October 2021, 09:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Water in the diesel is the culprit . Seen often in monsoons withen 20km of filling.
Cleaning out & if needed / earlier than suggested replacing the fuel filter will definitely help, besides filling at known bunks.

Most Viewed