Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2007, 12:38   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

SX4 on LPG ?

Hi,
I am plannin to replace my indigo LS , i want to go in for the SX4(zxi) and wanted to add an LPG kit to it as my running is over 50-75 kms/day. Is it a wise descision ? And what about the FE ,pick up,and how to go about on this project & how economical will that be ... help me out guys
Thanks
Old 20th May 2007, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

@ Karan 561 - It is not wise to replace your car with a brand new car which would be put on LPG and you will surely be out of waranty. The SX4 is a new car with a new engine, we are not aware of what problems it has so it wont be advisable to go LPG, instead i would suggest you to go for a Verna or Fiesta D at ~ prices. Better still wait for sometime the 1.6JTD 120bhp SX4 is coming.
Old 20th May 2007, 14:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Karan561,

Busa is right in that one mustnt tamper with a brand new generation engine. Also as Busa said, if you're looking at low running costs and a C/C+ sedan, look at the diesels or the City CVT.
Old 20th May 2007, 15:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

diesel is a better bet as availablity of LPG is a big headache.....and another thing you will spoil your warranty.
Old 20th May 2007, 15:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

any idea when is the SX4 1.6 D launching ?
or should i go in for the Swift D ? (way too crapmed)
i test drived the indigo DicoR recently , didnt like it , i found the TCIC engine smoother.
and FABIA ?? (wer is it anyway)...(did sit in the fabia @ autoexpo , not much of legroom in it)

i already have a laura , and a corolla , the indigo which i have is chauffer driven , so i need legroooooooooooom)
Old 20th May 2007, 15:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do you drive yourself? In that case Swift D is not a problem. The front seats are quite good infact.
You can also consider Fiesta TDCi / Verna CRDi.
Old 20th May 2007, 19:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
any idea when is the SX4 1.6 D launching ?
Expect it next year around July. Maruti needs some time to get settled with manufacturing of D engines.
Old 20th May 2007, 21:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

I do not agree with the advise that LPG kit on the SX4 will cause any problems if installed by a competent installer.
In Italy and other countries, the most advanced cars run on LPG, CNG etc. Its a proven fact. In India, we do not have advanced kits cause it wont sell due to higher costs. Believe me, I saw the CNG fuel injection system with separate injectors in city buses in the US. If warranty is not your priority, you can consider this.
  • Currently you do not have an approved kit for SX4. It would take a while to have the kits approved by ARAI. So you will have to wait. I suggest you run for atleast 5-8K kms before you install.
  • When the kits do come, be sure to spend a little more and install a sequential closed loop system. I do not recommemd a open loop kit. They are not meant for a MPFI car as they may damage the CAT in the long run. Iam converting to low end closed loop system soon.
  • 1.6 SX4 diesel will not be out for sometime. The new plant is still limping with Diesel engine deliveries. They have an export commitment as well. Evaluate the running cost and ownership cost as compared to a LPG convert.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 20th May 2007 at 21:50.
Old 20th May 2007, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

With a LPG Kit you can say good bye to the biggest boot in the segment

Quote:
They are not meant for a MPFI car as they may damage the CAT
Cat? Can you elaborate a bit here.
Old 20th May 2007, 23:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Yeah, the one that chases the mouse. LOL

I think he meant the catalytic converter
Old 20th May 2007, 23:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Cat = Cat Con aka Catalytic Convertor.
Old 20th May 2007, 23:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Cat = Cat Con aka Catalytic Convertor.
I thought the same but wanted to confirm buttttt who uses it anywayz
Old 21st May 2007, 01:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I do not agree with the advise that LPG kit on the SX4 will cause any problems if installed by a competent installer.
In Italy and other countries, the most advanced cars run on LPG, CNG etc. Its a proven fact. In India, we do not have advanced kits cause it wont sell due to higher costs. Believe me, I saw the CNG fuel injection system with separate injectors in city buses in the US. If warranty is not your priority, you can consider this.
  • Currently you do not have an approved kit for SX4. It would take a while to have the kits approved by ARAI. So you will have to wait. I suggest you run for atleast 5-8K kms before you install.
  • When the kits do come, be sure to spend a little more and install a sequential closed loop system. I do not recommemd a open loop kit. They are not meant for a MPFI car as they may damage the CAT in the long run. Iam converting to low end closed loop system soon.
  • 1.6 SX4 diesel will not be out for sometime. The new plant is still limping with Diesel engine deliveries. They have an export commitment as well. Evaluate the running cost and ownership cost as compared to a LPG convert.

but who does these installs .... ? as in any reliable source ?
Old 21st May 2007, 01:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Do you drive yourself? In that case Swift D is not a problem. The front seats are quite good infact.
You can also consider Fiesta TDCi / Verna CRDi.

I will not be driving this car much if il be drivin will be taking it to my gym to the max (which is hardly 1-1.5km)but have driven the swift D ... the front seats are okay ... but the rear ones is still a question mark . After having an indigo in the stable the space/legroom it offered has spoiled me enough ... so legroom needs to be a ++ , fiesta Tdci is a good deal thogh ... and i will be buying these cars @ silvassa ( DN registered) , so ;
SX4 (zxi) - around 6.97
swift D (ldi) - around 4.75
fiesta 1.4 tdci (exi) - around 7
had test drived the indigo XL but the dicor engine was a turn off ... the TCIC is way more refined .

Last edited by karan561 : 21st May 2007 at 01:27.
Old 21st May 2007, 01:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

so really very confused at the moment ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks