Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 10:33   #16
BHPian

re: VW wants 2 weeks for an ABS sensor | Will my airbags work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox_alienus View Post
Yes, will change only that one. Thanks!
But be mentally prepared that you'll have to change the other 3 in next couple of months / year. ABS issue is a known progressive failure in VW and well documented in a separate post - Link (Volkswagen Polo: 4 ABS sensor failures in 2 years)

In my case after the first failure, there was a failure every 5-6 months or so till all were replaced. Pls also check on the warranty they'll give you for the new ABS.

Also as mentioned earlier if ABS is on then try to take it slow in case the same issue comes up in the future and in case you're not able to replace the part quickly.
nick.cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 10:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
But be mentally prepared that you'll have to change the other 3 in next couple of months / year. ABS issue is a known progressive failure in VW and well documented in a separate post - Link (Volkswagen Polo: 4 ABS sensor failures in 2 years)

In my case after the first failure, there was a failure every 5-6 months or so till all were replaced. Pls also check on the warranty they'll give you for the new ABS.
Will be sure to do that.

Quote:
Also as mentioned earlier if ABS is on then try to take it slow in case the same issue comes up in the future and in case you're not able to replace the part quickly.
Will do.

Many thanks!
Old 10th October 2021, 13:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they scanned it and found the front left sensor had failed. The other three are ok.
Similar problem with my Rapid. First, both front ABS speed sensors failed in January this year. The Rear left ABS sensor failed in September, which was replaced recently.
Just be gentle on throttle and avoid any panic breaking, you'll be fine.
And I don't think ABS sensors have anything to do with the deployment of airbags. Airbag sensors are placed under the front bumper.
Old 10th October 2021, 13:27   #19
BHPian

As a fellow VW owner, I totally understand this all-too-familiar problem. This issue is fairly common as crops up as the car starts to age.

Most of the times VW service centres run low on ABS sensor stocks, I am not sure why but that has been the case for the past 5 times my cars have gone in for a change. Please make sure that you get a competitive deal once they notify you that the sensors are back in stock. It should cost you around 3-5K maximum if you negotiate properly. I have even got quotes for as high as 8K from some of the SAs.

My ABS sensor too failed around 2 months ago and due to the low stock, I was forced to due my daily commute of around 70 Kms without the ABS working in rainy to very rainy conditions. Let me tell you that this is not a problem at all. Just keep a very healthy amount of distance from the cars ahead and avoid sudden accelerations or braking. The car brakes just fine without the ABS system in place. People have driven for decades in the past without an ABS system and have been just fine.

Make sure that you are not alarmed by:

1) Speedometer going haywire and needles sweeping randomly.

2) Brake pedal juddering and vibrations while braking, make sure that you keep the pressure firmly applied and don't lift off the brake in case you are in need of braking

3) I have noticed the battery also takes a hit with the ABS light on, keep jumper cables handy if you are going on a really long trip

Otherwise you should be just fine! Just stay calm and enjoy the drive!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 13:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
... Just stay calm and enjoy the drive!
Yes, the juddering is what I noticed first, on a highway. Then the light came on. I shall have to take those precautions. Many thanks!
vox_alienus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 14:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
My ABS sensor too failed around 2 months ago and due to the low stock, I was forced to due my daily commute of around 70 Kms without the ABS working in rainy to very rainy conditions. Let me tell you that this is not a problem at all.
As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, I have driven non-ABS cars on Indian highways, as well as snowy and icy roads in the USA. I have not had major mishaps, but that was ONLY my luck. I skidded twice in the USA and once with my father on Kolkata's VIP Rd., I turned a full 180 degrees in drizzly weather. So it IS very much a problem.

I do not see why the service centre does not stock such critical spares. This is completely unacceptable, especially because this sensor failure appears to be a known VW Polo issue. (Don't know about their other models.)
vox_alienus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:52   #22
BHPian

Re: VW wants 2 weeks for an ABS sensor | Will my airbags work?

I understand your situation, as I have been sailing in the same boat for a while now. Will elaborate on what I have faced and what you need to watch out for:

1. I too own a MY 2017 Polo 1.2 MPI. It has a 2 year extended warranty and has clocked only around 12700 kms till date. 3 wheel sensors have been replaced under warranty and the fourth one (front right) has gone kaput now.

2. VW Goa too is out of stock on wheel speed sensors. According to my SA, they replaced sensors, particularly the front right ones on more than 60 cars this monsoon and are finding it hard getting stock, although I was told that they'd arrive last Wed / Thurs. He also told me that failures are common during the monsoons.

3. Many other BHPians mentioned that the remaining sensors will most likely conk off sooner or later. This is a very common occurrence as I have faced the same problem as well, with all of the sensors going bad in less than a year (the first one went off sometime in Jan 2020). Also, if you have warranty, the dealer will replace only the dead sensor, and if not, they'll push you to replace all four at once. Partly so that they get closer to their part sales target, and partly because the rest will go off soon.

4. The car will tend to act weird as mentioned by el lobo 6061. More likely when the front sensors are bad, speedo fluctuates, doors lock even when you turn on the ignition as the ECU runs its test. I once got locked out as I left the car idling and went to close the garage gate. (that was when the front left sensor was bad) Pedal vibrations of the ABS unnecessarily kicking in may occur. This is all because the front ones carry more functions than the rear ones. The SA even told me the reversing camera stops working on some cars and diesels are the worst affected.

Since the front right sensor on my car has failed, I have recently been facing severe issues, like the speedo conking off totally.

VW wants 2 weeks for an ABS sensor | Will my airbags work?-whatsapp-image-20211011-8.35.51-pm.jpeg

Last Monday, I was driving to Kundaim, when all of a sudden the speedometer conked off and the EPC and power steering fault lights came on. The car was also jerking whenever I left the accelerator. I continued driving normally and reached my destination. After around 2 hrs, I started the car and the same errors came up, along with the CEL. This got me worried as I thought some other sensor had failed. Nonetheless, I switched on the AC and the compressor wouldn't come on. Fearing the worst, I reversed the car a bit and the compressor started as well the EPC and PS light went out. The speedo starting working again, although the CEL light stayed on. All other functions were okay.

VW wants 2 weeks for an ABS sensor | Will my airbags work?-whatsapp-image-20211011-8.36.02-pm.jpeg

The following day I had to drive to Hubli. I took the car, hoping anything worse shouldn't happen. After driving 70 kms, the speedo conked off again and the same lights came on. Took a short break and the speedo was working fine. The CEL went off only on Wednesday as I as driving.

All this is just my experience so far and not to get you worried. I'm still waiting to send the car to replace the sensor and grease the strut bearings. I still love the Polo although this ABS problem is a total pain. This is very common across many German brands (VAG and even BMW) and VW has done nothing about it, obviously since it's a good source of money.

Good luck and hope you get that sensor replaced soon and don't face more failures.
Clayton Crasto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 09:11   #23
BHPian

My 2017 GT TSi had 2 sensors going bad. The second one a year after the first. Both times luckily VW had them in stock and I was charged 2250 for each.

As others have pointed out already be wary of the car jerking a bit. The first time the sensor went bad I left the engine on ,closed the door and the speedo went wild and the car locked itself with the key still in the ignition. Luckily as I was still home, I could get the spare key and open the door.

So would suggest you be wary of that and not leave the keys in with the ignition on till the issue gets fixed.
civ4647 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 06:40   #24
BHPian

A quick update - The speedometer on my Polo has stopped working totally. Initially, it used to work after shutting off the engine and locking the car for 15 mins or more. But now, that isn't working. Hence, no autolocking doors, gearshift indicator, average FE, exact DTE (it calculates as though the car is stationary).
Also, since the EPC, CEL and power steering failure lights are on as seen in my previous post, the revvs are limited to 3500 RPM, which I discovered yesterday while pulling off an enthusiastic overtake, while the steering appears to have become heavier than usual while parking.

All this thanks to VWs infamous failure of wheel speed sensors, and to make matters worse, VW Goa still can't get their hands on any stock!

Can anyone tell me if all this is really happening just due to the front right sensor failure, or some other bad part could be at play here?

I'm getting extremely frustrated with this problem, as this is the fourth sensor that went kaput in less than a year. Worst thing is the fact that I have to drive around in a modern, "German" car without a working speedometer -
My mom's 24-year-old M800 never had a dead speedo!!!
Old 17th October 2021, 08:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told that one of the four wheel sensors needed to be replaced, and this could not be done before October 20 as they did not have a replacement in store
This is not just the plight of VW customers. In my Hyundai, I replaced 2 wheel sensors so far, and for both of these replacements, the wait times were more than 2 weeks.

It has come to a situation where you will have to wait a minimum of 2 weeks for any spare part irrespective of which A.S.S. you visit. They do not have any parts in stock except the very essential items like brake pads and filters.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 11:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
... you will have to wait a minimum of 2 weeks for any spare part irrespective of which A.S.S. you visit. They do not have any parts in stock except the very essential items like brake pads and filters.
Wonder why. Are they trying to cut costs by reducing inventory? At the cost of the customer!?
Old 17th October 2021, 11:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Autobahn Navi Mumbai actually went out of the way to take my car in for unscheduled work before my return drive to Bangalore
Very nice of them. Not every workshop would do that.
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:09   #28
BHPian

Finally the sensor was replaced yesterday. They were nice enough to pick up the car and drop it off for free. The replacement cost me Rs 4,347.75 (I think that was the figure). They said it would be under warranty for two years. Sounds reasonable.
Old 24th October 2021, 08:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Crasto View Post
1. I too own a MY 2017 Polo 1.2 MPI. It has a 2 year extended warranty and has clocked only around 12700 kms till date. 3 wheel sensors have been replaced under warranty and the fourth one (front right) has gone kaput now.
I must say I have been lucky - only one sensor has failed at about 14700 km. But after reading your post, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 25th October 2021, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I must say I have been lucky - only one sensor has failed at about 14700 km. But after reading your post, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I got my car back after spending 2.5 days at the workshop. Both front sensors had gone off. Got that replaced and the strut bearings greased as well - all at no cost since the car is under extended warranty.
Clayton Crasto is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks