Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 00:19   #1

Oil in the coolant tank - Now what?

Hi, This being a first post, please excuse if the placement of this query in this forum is incorrect. I have a Cruze LTZ 2012 model with odo of 135000kms and running fine except for oil in coolant bottle. This is most likely due to oil cooler gasket leak but i have gone to 3 diff garages including erstwhile authorized cheverolet ASS and each one has a diff diagnosis ranging from Head gasket to Oil cooler. Can anyone recommend a trusted and knowledgeable FNG in Gurgaon for this job. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
Cruzecontrol
Cruzecontrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 17:11   #2
BHPian

re: Oil in the coolant tank - Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzecontrol View Post
I have a Cruze LTZ 2012 model with odo of 135000kms and running fine except for oil in coolant bottle.
Regards,
Cruzecontrol
You have only 2 possibilities. The head gasket or the oil cooler/heat exchanger. It is not up to you to tell them what to do. They should diagnose the fault and fix it.
I would try to find another shop which has the gear to test the head gasket.

A pressure gauge will easily indicate a leaking head gasket. This is the first thing that is done for a suspected leaking gasket.

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

As an amateur mechanic I would lean on the head gasket as a leaking oil cooler normally sends coolant to the engine oil and not oil to the coolant.

If you diagnose the fault for them they will blame you for the wrongs they do.
Indian2003 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 17:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, This being a first post, please excuse if the placement of this query in this forum is incorrect. I have a Cruze LTZ 2012 model with odo of 135000kms and running fine except for oil in coolant bottle. This is most likely due to oil cooler gasket leak but i have gone to 3 diff garages including erstwhile authorized cheverolet ASS and each one has a diff diagnosis ranging from Head gasket to Oil cooler. Can anyone recommend a trusted and knowledgeable FNG in Gurgaon for this job. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
Cruzecontrol
It is the oil cooler most likely, though you should consult with mechanics, possibly at an FNG, would recommend a BHPian by the name of Viraat13, you can P.M him, he is close to gurgaon and operates out of South Delhi only.

Cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2021 at 19:43. Reason: Contact number deleted
dhruvritzed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 17:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Did the car overheat? In that case, it is the head gasket that has gone. You can contact Anupam Shukla of Worlds of Service, Noida. The number is there in a dedicated Worlds of Service thread, and also in the FNG thread.

Pls note that the engine has undergone damage and will in all probability never be the same again. If not performance then in terms of reliability or emission compliance. Your best course of action will be to sell the car off at the earliest. As a 2012 model, it is anyway nearing the 10 year limit for diesel cars in NCR.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 18:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a trusted and knowledgeable FNG in Gurgaon for this job. Thanks in anticipation.
You may contact Mukesh chandra gond, in NCR.
He has a Garage in NCR, and appears to be knowledgeable from his YT videos.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 23:20   #6

Hi,

Please check if there are any traces of coolant in oil sump (pull the dip stick out and inspect).
If not, replace the oil cooler along with gasket and flush the cooling system. If yes, the engine might have overheated and will need to be dismantled and further inspection.

I would recommend to get the above work done at an authorised Chevy service only, you will get warranty if the issue crops up again within a year or 20000 km (whichever is earlier).

Regards
Ex- Chevy Aftersales Manager
Kedrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 02:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, This being a first post, please excuse if the placement of this query in this forum is incorrect. I have a Cruze LTZ 2012 model with odo of 135000kms and running fine except for oil in coolant bottle.
Cruzecontrol
Hi, there is a garage in sector 14 on the old delhi road opposite to vishal megamart and next to a tire shop. They do all sort of minor and major repair work. I mostly used to go there to pressure wash the vehicle and sometimes for minor repair work. Would suggest you to pay them a visit.
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oil in the coolant tank - Now what?

Most likely oil cooler given this is a Fiat engine, your car will not be running fine with a headgasket damage. Get the oil cooler fixed and replace the coolant , the vehicle should be running fine afterwards.
Old 22nd March 2022, 13:49   #9

I have a 2015 Renault Lodgy and have searched all the forums however not able to find any answer to my issue. Car has run 90k+ and serviced properly at ASS, recently during my visit to my native hometown JK from NCR, I found traces of oil in coolant bottle and oil leakage from oil cooler. Got it checked with ASS and they recommended that it is oil cooler along with assembly and quoted a price of 25k+. Got it replaced from outside with an less than 1/2 the price ran it for some 50 odd kms and was able to see traces again in the coolant bottle.
Reached out to the mechanic again and he suggested that it is coming as traces of oil are still left in the coolant lines and asked me to run few more kms and then he will flush it again with fresh coolant.
Is it normal or is there a bigger issue cropping up, please note that there is no drop in power, no overheating or any other issue apart from oil coming in coolant bottle. Oil spillage from oil cooler has stopped and there are no traces of oil on the ground, for now.
Please advice.
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDivine View Post
I have a 2015 Renault Lodgy and have searched all the forums however not able to find any answer to my issue. Car has run 90k+ and serviced properly at ASS, recently during my visit to my native hometown JK from NCR, I found traces of oil in coolant bottle and oil leakage from oil cooler. Got it checked with ASS and they recommended that it is oil cooler along with assembly and quoted a price of 25k+. Got it replaced from outside with an less than 1/2 the price ran it for some 50 odd kms and was able to see traces again in the coolant bottle.
Reached out to the mechanic again and he suggested that it is coming as traces of oil are still left in the coolant lines and asked me to run few more kms and then he will flush it again with fresh coolant.
Is it normal or is there a bigger issue cropping up, please note that there is no drop in power, no overheating or any other issue apart from oil coming in coolant bottle. Oil spillage from oil cooler has stopped and there are no traces of oil on the ground, for now.
Please advice.

Use a radiator cleaner

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Rad...s%2C465&sr=8-4

Fill it up in the radiator and run the car for a few days. Then drain the coolant. Fill with just distilled water. Run for another few days. Then drain the distilled water and fill fresh coolant mixed with distilled water.

Also remove and clean the coolant tank with laundry detergent to remove oil traces from the tank.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 22nd March 2022 at 15:44.
Old 27th May 2022, 14:03   #11

Hi,

Well, I tried that and the issue is fixed, no more traces of oil are coming however now a new issue has cropped up.

There is a wheezing sound coming from engine upon acceleration, checked it at Renault and they diagnosed the turbo has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced with an estimate of more than 80k. Got it checked form my known mechanic and he diagnosed the issue with the Turbocharger Turbo Wastegate Actuator (priced at less than 5k) and not turbocharger as a whole. There is no power loss, turbo is working fine upon acceleration with only wheezing sound coming. Getting it fixed however I am also seeing a lot of oil in the hoses connected to turbocharger hence getting the intercooler/hoses also cleaned up.

Is my approach fine or do I need to dig deep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks