Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

Indica TCIC intercooler query

Hey guys... tell me something. My friend's TCIC Indica's Intercooler looked to have a peculiar problem yesterday night when we raised the hood. It has those fine honeycomb like mesh/fin. Now many of these fins seemed to have collapsed... almost like someone pressed them with something heavy. The light aluminium fins (they look aluminium to me) seemed to have crumpled at many places. Today when he took it to SS they said that it has happened because of the heat and is not a problem. Apparently they change the intercooler after 40000 kms. However this car has just run some 7500 kms.

Now, does that sound very credible? I mean I do not know whether those honeycomb like structures actually collapse like that because of heat. And in the process the pores are also getting closed. Won't that cause problems in the near future?
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

I doubt they collapse due to heat. If that is the case then all radiators and A/C condenser fins will collapse too.

I feel it is a definate case or repair. Try and find some sealed pipes (copper welded) inbetween the crumpled fins.

And an intercooler replacement at 40k sounds new to me.
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:10   #3
BHPian

You can have a normal AC guy reshape the fins with a Copper Brush they have..! However I suspect Sabotage, Technically possible with Heat in the Bay-But even then Unlikely..!
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

moralfibre... buddy these are very delicate looking things made out of so light a material that they look like you can make them collapse by just pushing hard on them with bare hands. I think very light weight aluminium sort of thing. That is why I could not completely negate the theory. Also the SS guy did not look like thinking over it... as if this is very regular. So I was wondering whether it could be true.

Wolfi... I felt the pores should be opened for effective working of the Intercooler. I actually put the keys into the fins and straightened a few. It is so light that seems to happen very easily. Is it really necessary to visit a AC mech for this prob? I mean a copper brush... what if I do it myself with something like a key? There does not seem to be anything delicate at the reachable depths of these pores that may get damaged.
Old 22nd May 2007, 21:45   #5
BHPian

those AC guys can give a Even reshape, gap between each fin and all..Else you can try with key or even hands, just be careful you don't nick yourself
Old 22nd May 2007, 21:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you check out another turbo. They are dime a dozen. If you don't see a problem with other turbo's then its a problem. Collapsed fins are not going to do much cooling.
Old 23rd May 2007, 13:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... Looks like no one has encountered this problem at least on our board. Considering the number of Indigos and Indica TCICs on the road looks like a unique problem to me. Lets see. Maybe I will also post a pic later at night to give you guys an idea of this wierd problem.
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:43   #8
BHPian

Hello zappo, please post a picture of collapsed fins, it is highly unlikely to be collapsed by heat of engine bay, as they are designed to work inside engine bay.

Secondly engine bay is hot but not hot enough to cause a plastic deformation due to heat alone, that too under absence of external force, its impossible by underhood heat to get deformation by weight of material itself.

most likely caused by mishandling of some tool by technician.

anyway please do post the picture
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

Exactly my thoughts Arun. That is why I was very surprised when this logic came through! I thought they looked like some mech has caused the injury to the Intercooler due to his sheer callousness when the car went for the first service.

The fins are actually more like fan fold of very thin aluminium sheet (much like if you fan fold a thin strip of paper). There are row after row of these. Generally giving it a look of a fine mesh/grill etc.

I will try to post a pic tonight from home.
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:46   #10
BHPian

yes zappo i know structure of intercooler very well, just asked for picture as it can clear the tell tales of injury, intercooler in indica is place in very awkward position(inclined near tappet cover), an easy slip of spanner may bang the fins to be folded.

no need for change, as some fellows explained that they can be repaired.

Just ensure that there is enough way between the fins for air to ventilate through, after repairs.If you suspect a deed of mechanic, ask TASS ppl to repair it free of cost.

its another funny story/excuse from TASS people, they are good for nothing.
Old 24th May 2007, 09:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

The fin mesh is so thin that a slight pressure will bend them and especially if the bay is hot then all the more easier.

A weird thought has come to my mind. Sometimes i've seen mechanics climb onto the engine to access certain parts at the back end near clutch housing etc. Maybe the body weight has damaged the fins. While no one at TASC will accept this, you may have to shout over the din there to be heard..

BTW, a good AC guy will have a device - generally a steel comb with which he can straighten them all. It is a painstaking job. The back mesh/grill of my window AC had a such a problem over the years. The heat dissipation was becoming a problem. My AC guy straightened those fins with that metal comb and took around 2 hours to do the job properly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
yes zappo i know structure of intercooler very well, just asked for picture as it can clear the tell tales of injury, intercooler in indica is place in very awkward position(inclined near tappet cover), an easy slip of spanner may bang the fins to be folded.

no need for change, as some fellows explained that they can be repaired.

Just ensure that there is enough way between the fins for air to ventilate through, after repairs.If you suspect a deed of mechanic, ask TASS ppl to repair it free of cost.

its another funny story/excuse from TASS people, they are good for nothing.
Old 25th May 2007, 02:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... here's a pic of what has happened. I am sure it has happened during 1st service, only that we spotted it late :P

On second thoughts... look at the way it has happened. If it would have happened by accident then it would have been a localized damage. However it has happened all over the place in a random manner. Moreover in the second row some fins are not exactly collapsed but just look a bit squeezed. Could it be that the mech had a point? Can it happen due to the intense heat that is sweeping across hyderabad nowadays!

Last edited by Zappo : 25th May 2007 at 02:14.
Old 25th May 2007, 11:46   #13
BHPian

Second row from top seems to be repaired, majority of it seems to be scraping damage.

its been scraped by some tool or something hard.more pronounced on left side of picture
Old 25th May 2007, 12:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

More than worry about the shape of the fins..which Definitely looks man made..look out for an internal block in the intercooler..This will have a negative effect on your Turbo as well as engine..
Old 25th May 2007, 12:32   #15
BHPian

If they are offering a Free replacement due to heat damage, get a new one..Will be better..! Else like most of us suggested..Find a AC mech and get it done at earliest

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks