Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:45   #1
BHPian

Swift Diesel Query

While taking delivery of the car the service head told me something very peculiar , he told me that the fuel gauge will display only and only if my total quantity of diesel in the tank is more than 10 liters of diesel. in other words in an empty tank if I fill in 10 liter of diesel the fuel gauge will not budge from the " E " mark ! Is this true ?Can any swift diesel owner confirm this ?
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

i had a similar scene after i put in the "free" 5 lit fuel when i took delivery, fuel guage didnt budge at all, then went and filled her up and needle started to climb. sad i cant confirm rest coz i havent gone below quarter tank mark since then
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

It is true in most cars where that have the needle sitting at the E mark. In some cars (Older ones like mine), the needle goes below the E mark & will touch the E at 10 ltrs. The 10 litres is a sort of a reserve capacity.
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:05   #4
BHPian

I have a swift pertol and i tend to agree with that statment as i had a similar kind of issue. I think it has something to do with the shape of the fuel tank and the reserve.
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It is true in most cars where that have the needle sitting at the E mark. In some cars (Older ones like mine), the needle goes below the E mark & will touch the E at 10 ltrs. The 10 litres is a sort of a reserve capacity.
10 liters as reserve , man i can travel nearly 150 kms in that !!!
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:18   #6
BHPian

I would think its around 5-7 litres for a Swift. Also, the time taken to get to the half-way mark is *huge*, compared to half-way to empty. I guess that's the way in other Swifts too.
I dont know why we cant get a decently calibrated fuel gauge :(
Old 23rd May 2007, 19:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Its not only swift ballkey... its the same in Indica as well. From full to halfway mark it takes some good amount of time however thereafter the road to empty comes fast I guess
Old 23rd May 2007, 22:53   #8
BHPian

I remember reading an earlier thread talking about the manual fuel guage mechanism employed in almost all cars.
It is always an 'around' reading that is shown on the guage. And there are multiple ways by which mistake can happen.
So nothing to worry, be adapted to it
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Its not only swift ballkey... its the same in Indica as well. From full to halfway mark it takes some good amount of time however thereafter the road to empty comes fast I guess
Happens in the Santro too...
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The Swift's tank reserve is 10 liters at the E mark. Only fuelling above 10 liters will perceptibly move the needle above the E

Last edited by theMAG : 23rd May 2007 at 23:43.
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

I just cant recall where I read this but somewhere before, I came across something similar where somebody was telling that the service adviser asked him to maintain atleast 10 litres at all times.

Will post the link later if I find it.
Old 24th May 2007, 00:39   #12
BHPian

What is the purpose of reserve if you cant utilize the fuel you have filled. I had similar experience with my adventure.
Old 24th May 2007, 03:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
What is the purpose of reserve if you cant utilize the fuel you have filled. I had similar experience with my adventure.
who says you cant use it! but its at ure own risk as below the E mark u dnt know how much of the 10L is left! but with a little experience u can judge the minimum distance you can go with the needle at E!
my swift petrol has the same issue of the fuel dropping much faster after the half! i had the same problem in my zen too, i guess im just use to it by now!

i have done about 80-90 kms with the needle below E!! but thats when you dont have a choice! you make that a habbit and you wont know when you'll be taking a rik to the nearest petrol station with an empty bottle in your hand!
Old 24th May 2007, 05:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Happens in the Santro too...
First warning blink when its in reserve..ie, 8lit, next one when it drops down to the next limit. Ask your service guy about it.
Old 24th May 2007, 16:15   #15
BHPian

I was told that its 5 Litres remaining in the tank once the needle shows "E", by the person at Pratham in Bangalore while taking the delivery.!!
And he told me some air-lock kinda funda if it goes below "E"..However never really bothered to know more since I thought its safe to keep the level above "E" always!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks