Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 22:18   #1
BHPian

Sunroof issues in my Audi A8

Guys,

My Audi A8 has a sun roof which is giving me some issues. While the sun roof works fine (apart from some whirring sound on and off when its open), the roof cover has got stuck the last time I opened it.

Thankfully the glass shut but the cover is stuck in a semi crooked position and I am not able to nudge it back.

Am worried about taking it to a garage as expect the bill to be hefty here in the UK. Would anyone have any suggestion on a DIY strategy that may help me out?

Thanks,

Rahul
Old 29th October 2021, 00:19   #2
BHPian

re: Sunroof issues in my Audi A8

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post

My Audi A8 has a sun roof which is giving me some issues. While the sun roof works fine (apart from some whirring sound on and off when its open), the roof cover has got stuck the last time I opened it.
Can you share some pictures of it on this thread so that we can get an idea of how & where the sun blind is stuck and can a DIY really be performed to make it functional again or is it better to give it to the FNG or Authorized garage in order to solve the issue.
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 08:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sunroof issues in my Audi A8

Try squirting WD 40 in the channels. That might work
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 13:24   #4
BHPian

Try putting oil first course.
My Q5s sunroof also gets "stuck" sometimes for the last inch or so.
In my case what I observed is if I park or drive the car in scorching tropical sun, the gasket expands and that leads to calibration error in end it does not close completely. Then I drive it for some time and park in shade and open fully once again and then close it completely. Basically, thermal expansion. Try that out. In the UK, it may be extreme cold leading to contraction.

Else, what I recall from some of the discussions when I was in same position as yours, there is a way to reset the rail motor once and then it will work again. I think it is through OBD.
Good luck and keep us posted!
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Try squirting WD 40 in the channels. That might work
WD40 can be counter productive in the long run as it dries out the rubber eventually. Best thing to use is Silicone spray for rubber parts
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 05:34   #6
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in responding. I dont think WD40 is going to help in this case. Posting a picture that I took today. I have tried to pull the shade out but to no avail. Its just not budging. I did manage to straighten it out a bit though. Still stuck at the rear end of the roof. Sorry the pic isint very clear.Sunroof issues in my Audi A8-img20211029083310.jpg

If you are able to make out, you can see the shade sticking out at the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Try putting oil first course.
My Q5s sunroof also gets "stuck" sometimes for the last inch or so.
In my case what I observed is if I park or drive the car in scorching tropical sun, the gasket expands and that leads to calibration error in end it does not close completely. Then I drive it for some time and park in shade and open fully once again and then close it completely. Basically, thermal expansion. Try that out. In the UK, it may be extreme cold leading to contraction.

Else, what I recall from some of the discussions when I was in same position as yours, there is a way to reset the rail motor once and then it will work again. I think it is through OBD.
Good luck and keep us posted!
In my case I its not the roof which is getting stuck, its the shade. I haven had the guts to open the roof again in case that gets stuck as well. We have been having rain here daily and I dont want a situation where I am with a stuck and open roof in the rain.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd November 2021 at 07:39.
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

The shade is not stuck, it seems to have jumped the channel. You might need to undo the roof lining and access the whole sunroof system and realign.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 09:14   #8
BHPian

Sorry for the lame advice but have you tried opening and closing it again.

I've had an issue with my e60 and I have to sometimes guide the sunroof and shade by hand sometimes.

It could be the thermal expansion thing or just old mechanics.

I've had to reopen and close it a few times and it finally shuts fine at some point.
Thegermanbadger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 03:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The shade is not stuck, it seems to have jumped the channel. You might need to undo the roof lining and access the whole sunroof system and realign.
What you say seems right Ajmat; unfortunately I am not confident in doing this on my own. will try and find a local garage and get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegermanbadger View Post

I've had to reopen and close it a few times and it finally shuts fine at some point.
I too thought of doing this but scared in case the glass also gets stuck and doesn't shut. We are heading into winters now and will have a lot of rain. Dont want to be stuck with a problematic sun roof

Last edited by ajmat : 16th November 2021 at 18:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks