Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 19:58   #1
BHPian

Stiff power steering : What could be the problem?

Hello,

I have been a long time lurker at Team-BHP. This is my first post, in the form of a query. Hope the experts won't find it silly.

My car is Daewoo Matiz, SG Model with power steering. I recently took her for a regular service. Before the service, the power steering worked smooth butter. While it was being serviced, I was told by the mech that front shocks are weak and may require a overhauling (reconditioning). However he could adjust it to run for another 5K without problems. I told him to go ahead.

When I took her for a test run post service, I experienced a very stiff steering. There was no power assistance (or so it seemed). I checked the power steering fluid level, it was just fine. When I complained about it, the mech swared that he has not touched power steering mechanism, and said it was just as it was before! He also told me that it is not possible to improvize it now since Shocks are weak!

I really don't understand what is the connection between Shocks and hydraulic power steering. Can T-BHP experts give me some clues on what could be wrong. The driving is no fun anymore.

Thanks,
Old 24th May 2007, 22:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

the strut servicing might be the culprit, struts need to turn along with the wheel and something which was done has affected this or they might have adjusted the steering damper

my guess's
Old 24th May 2007, 23:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey kshastry, welcome on board Team BHP! Would recommend you go through the announcements and also give us a little intro about yourself (both threads should be on the tbhp main page).

This thread, for example belongs in the "Technical Stuff" section. The ICE (in-car entertainment) section is jealously guarded from all "engine-wengine" stuff by the resident ICE gurus (you'll get to know of whom i speak after a few days on this forum!)
Old 24th May 2007, 23:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Could be a problem with the pump pressure
Old 25th May 2007, 00:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

It could be that your Power Steerin belt has snapped off leading to the lack of assistance. Have your car checked at a reputed garage.
Old 25th May 2007, 01:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

I concur with iraghava... if the fluid level looks ok check whether the belt has snapped or fitting in loose. By the way do you hear a whirring kind of sound when you turn the steering when the car is standing still with the engine running?
Old 25th May 2007, 10:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

matiz has one single belt that runs the power steering pump also IF i remember correct, anyways check
Old 25th May 2007, 11:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

When you turn your steering to extreme left or right do you hear some weird sounds?
Old 25th May 2007, 18:25   #9
BHPian

Thank you guys for all your replies. The problem is kind of solved now. I got her checked for Struts, belt, pump etc. Everything was fine. The whole shock absorber assembly was re-greased. My mech suggested a new "phoren" power steer fluid which would do magic (and leave me with a lite purse). I wanted my old butter steer Matiz badly and said yes.

The Indian power steer fluid was drained (which was about 2 year old) and the alien stuff went in. After some rigorous turns and shakes of the steering, it seemed to loosen up a bit. He has asked me drive it for a while and it would return to normal. Now after clocking about 50 Kms hence, I can say its almost back to normal.

When I think of it all, it seems a lubrication issue. I was so depressed after the service and hence this thread. Thanks again!
Old 21st April 2012, 17:31   #10

Dzire vdi – problem with steering

I have a Swift Dzire vdi that has done 45k. For the past couple of months, I have noticed that the steering has become somewhat stiff and the feedback isn’t as amazing as it used to be. It is kind of erratic as the steering feels stiff and then all of a sudden starts working better. Haven’t noticed any pattern though, in terms of distance or whether the engine is hot or cold.

I’d shown the problem to Rana Motors, Okhla, Rana Motors Gurgaon, MSM, Okhla but no one is ready to accept that there is a problem even after test driving the vehicle for considerable distances. Everyone else in the world, my friends, car mechanics and even my wife say that the steering is hard but I just can’t convince MASS about it. Infact, they are so adamant on it that they won’t even open up a bolt if they don’t have any ‘adverse observation’. I have also test driven the same model elsewhere and could feel the difference.

I regularly get the alignment and balancing done (by MASS as well as outside) but everything goes down in vain. I have stock JK tornado tyres and I’m aware that it is high time for some new footwear. But MASS inspected the tyres as well and seem fine to them. Anyhow they have ruled out the possibility that bad tyres could cause the problem.

My car also pulls violently to the left (in-spite of regular alignment) and came to know in the forums that this is a common problem with the Dzire. Rana Motors had rubbished this and has blamed it on faulty Indian roads that are leaned towards the left!

I am really looking forward to some solutions here.
Old 21st April 2012, 18:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dzire vdi – problem with steering

I presume the EPS yellow light(it resembles a steering wheel) on the Instrument console is not on.

your solutions
  1. get the alignment checked at a professional independent shop
  2. get the tyres changed and you'll feel a sea of difference ; I felt it
Old 21st April 2012, 20:22   #12

Re: Dzire vdi – problem with steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I presume the EPS yellow light(it resembles a steering wheel) on the Instrument console is not on.

your solutions
  1. get the alignment checked at a professional independent shop
  2. get the tyres changed and you'll feel a sea of difference ; I felt it
Hi Vigsom

Rana Motors has claimed to check all parameters and sensors so I really don't think there is a problem with the electricals. Have already got the alignment done through an independent shop but not much difference could you help me with the tyres, i.e. which ones did you go for?
Old 21st April 2012, 21:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Stiff power steering : What could be the problem?

^^ I was mentioning change of tyres on a non-dzirable car , Versa.

For your DZire , my reco to you would be 185/70 R14 - Bridgestone Turanza ER60

You can also search the forum for alternatives - Swift and DZire share the same shoes(tyres)
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 01:04   #14
BHPian

Steering issue with Chevy Optra SRV 1.6

Hi friends,

I purchased a used Chevy SRV about 10 months back. The car already had around 50k kms when I purchased it and I have used the car for another 6k-7k kms in the last 10 months.

Recently I noticed twice in a span of 6 days that while turning the car, at slow speeds, I felt for a moment that I couldn't turn the steering, it had become heavy and felt like I was turning the steering wheel when the car is parked. This issue happened both when I was turning left, the first time and right, the second time and both times I was below 20kmph. I'm worried that there could be some problem with my steering setup. I'm not sure I can take my car on long drives, with this problem, as it could be risky if the steering suddenly behaves like this at high speeds.

I haven't checked the steering fluid level as primarly I'm unaware of where this is located. I haven't noticed any leakages underneath my car. In early december the service center replaced the front right side shock absorber as the older one had worn out. Also, recently I inflated the tyres to 35psi instead of 30, to check the ride quality at this inflated level. I don't hear any ticking sound as well when I'm turning the wheel and when it is working normally the steering feels butter smooth, without any heaviness or vibration. I'm not sure what the problem is!

If some expert can guide me on what needs to be done, I will be grateful. I'm currently residing in Baroda, Gujarat and my first service experience with Gopinathji (authorised GM ASC), was not really convincing. If users can also suggest some better service center where I can get my car checked, it would be really helpful.

Last edited by saleem_k : 29th January 2014 at 01:08.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:18   #15
BHPian

Re: Steering issue with Chevy Optra SRV 1.6

I think the problem is with the steering and it has nothing to do with the change of shock absorber. My suggestion would be to get it checked from the authorised service station and let them find the problem. You may not get spares of Chevy SRV from the open market.

Take an opinion of the problem from one Chevy dealer may be gopinthji ( though you may have not liked them initially), cross check this from the other dealer in your town or nearby that and then take a call.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks