Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:52   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars

Our Wagon R is nearing 10 years of ownership. The keys had started showing their age. We had been using both the keys alternatingly. The battery was not changed for both as the screw was rusted on both the keys and couldn't be opened. The remote locking stopped working since last 1 year. I was managing without remote locking. About one and half months back, one of the keys broke while unlocking the door. And the car didn't start with the broken key. Thankfully I was near home so got the spare and used it. On close inspection, I realised that the other one was also cracked. As it is, I had to order new set of keys so ordered for a set of 2 keys.

The order was placed at the dealer workshop. An advance of Rs. 3000/- was deposited. A letter was addressed to the workshop manager for issuing of duplicate keys along with the RC copy and the key number present on the aluminum plate which comes with the original key. Thereafter, wait began. Order was placed on the 26th of October. The keys were received at the dealer workshop on 21st November and I was able to get it on 22nd November.

I was under the impression that the keys would come with the immobiliser coding from the factory but that was not the case. I had to take the vehicle to workshop, a job card was opened. Thereafter the keys were inserted into the ignition lock to check if it's rotating normally. Then the computer was connected to OBD port and key was kept in ignition position. The system read the coding on the car and then a message was sent by the technician to the Maruti tech team with that code. After about half an hour, they received the matching code to configure the keys as per immobiliser code of my car. The details were inputted into the computer and same was configured with the key. Same was repeated for the other key. After that, the car started with the new keys and the old one was rendered useless. The remote lock operation was configured by the technician without any problems.

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_173701__01.jpg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_173657__01.jpg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_173651__01.jpg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_173626__01__01__01__01__01.jpg
The broken key.

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_174249.jpg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_174328__01.jpg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_174320__01.jpg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_174239__01.jpg
The second key with cracked casing and rusted screw.

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_160121.jpg
WIP

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_155451.jpg
WIP

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_154522__01.jpg
New keys.

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-img_20211122_170953__01__01.jpg
Bill.

Nothing is complete without mentioning the pros and cons.

Pros -
  • Order placed without a physical visit to the dealership.
  • Got the original key set with working remote fobs. Remote locking works the way it should.
  • There is no issue with respect to the working of all locks

Cons -
  • Time taken for the key to be delivered.
  • COST. At nearly Rs. 6000/- for the set, it's quite costly. I've heard people getting this made at a cheaper rate but then such services are not available in my city. Moreover I wanted peace of mind.
  • The labour charges were too much. I mean who charges Rs.2000/- for coding when everything is being done by the company's laptop?

I guess the same process would be required to place an order for keys with other manufacturers too. Anyone who faced similar issue, please share.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 22nd November 2021 at 22:50.
BoneCollector is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 05:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The battery was not changed for both as the screw was rusted
- one of the keys broke while unlocking the door. And the car didn't start with the broken key
- The labour charges were too much
Thank you for sharing this, Doc. The cost of the key blanks is extremely reasonable but labour charges for coding is rather high. Anyways, overall, I think ₹6,000 for two keys is fair, and it is good to go the OE route.

I experienced the same issue as yours on the integrated remote keys of two cars - my own 2005 Toyota Corolla and another friend's red 2006 Toyota Corolla. In both cases, the casing cracked at the neck when the key was being twisted to start the car. All that was done was some adhesive - cum- cellotape treatment and they worked fine. Duplicate non-remote immobiliser keys can easily be made for as less as ₹1,500 outside but the one thing in such keys is that the quality of material used for the key blade is suspect. I know a case where the blade broke in two when the key was in the barrel, and fortunately the broken piece could be pulled out using nose pliers.

Keys of the Grand Vitara are exactly the same shape s other Maruti keys except that they're built much better and come with the "CE" stamp on top of the key fob. Also, the screw although oxidized is still openable using a small star screw driver. I've replaced the battery for the remote circuit twice in the last 7 plus years.

Key for the Grand Vitara - sample image
Name:  GrandVitaraKey_sample.jpeg
Views: 3283
Size:  18.5 KB

Last edited by vigsom : 23rd November 2021 at 07:26.
vigsom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I mean who charges Rs.2000/- for coding when everything is being done by the company's laptop...
Have got two keys from Maruti a couple of years back and from that experience I can say with confidence that the rates are fair.

Mine were non remote but immobiliser enabled keys and cost nearly thousand bucks a piece. The labour for coding them was around eight hundred rupees. Like you, I too had to wait for a while for the code to arrive from Maruti: one of the new key remained in the ACC position the whole time.

In your case, the key is integrated with the (lock) remote and therefore they being double the cost of mine is reasonable (Remote fobs for aftermarket locking systems cost between 1000-2000 bucks when purchased separately). The coding too has to address the two issues of engine start and car locking mechanisms. Plus, labour charges have gone up of late. So, ₹2,000/-seems okay.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... Moreover I wanted peace of mind.[*]The labour charges were too much. I mean who charges Rs.2000/- for coding when everything is being done by the company's laptop?[/list]
If you are not keen on maintaining OE key, which looks like it isn't of a great quality, you can visit a local Key Maker and you'll be able to get a set of exact same keys for ~2k. If not keen on OE looks, you may even get a fancy looking flip key.

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-42096300_286151985330259_8090673537511225073_n.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good to know information. Like you mentioned, I think the cost is on the higher side (at least by 2K). But again, the OE costs are always on the higher side when compared to the local market. I wanted a duplicate key made for my bike, went to the Secunderabad area and found a lane which had quite a few key makers. I got a key done for 350/-. Since cars have a lot more to deal with, charging around 1500/- would be ideal. 6K seems a tad too high.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 10:19   #7
BHPian

Faced the same issue, as my key and the transmitter were fine, I went for the replacement of key housing, costed me 600 and I didn't bargain because I was in a desperate need of one. Buying a pair of new keys with coding will cost way less than 6K in local market.
HEMIOrange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 12:58   #8
BHPian

Our key was also broke ,almost like this. Looking at the quote from ASC, we decided to go the frugal way! This cover got it covered for Rs.80 and serving for past few years!
Attached Thumbnails
Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-screenshot_20211124121625958_com.flipkart.android01.jpeg  

5252rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 13:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
you can visit a local Key Maker and you'll be able to get a set of exact same keys for ~2k. If not keen on OE looks, you may even get a fancy looking flip key.
I also wanted a flippy key but sadly, such services are unavailable in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I wanted a duplicate key made for my bike, went to the Secunderabad area and found a lane which had quite a few key makers. I got a key done for 350/-. Since cars have a lot more to deal with, charging around 1500/- would be ideal. 6K seems a tad too high.
Bike duplicate keys are an easy affair. I had got one made for Rs.100/- way back in 2003 for my Pulsar in Manipal. Bike keys (most of them) don't have an immobilizer/transmitter so I guess they can be easily made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIOrange View Post
Faced the same issue, as my key and the transmitter were fine, I went for the replacement of key housing, costed me 600 and I didn't bargain because I was in a desperate need of one. Buying a pair of new keys with coding will cost way less than 6K in local market.
Local shops doing such type of business are not seen here. What I like about the new keys is that the older ones used to get stuck in the locks, they were not rotating freely but the new ones are butter smooth, no issues of getting stuck.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 14:04   #10
BANNED

Quote:
I had to read your post twice and I am still not sure if I understand correctly.
Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems only the plastic shell failed. The plastic shell can be replaced for a mere 200 - 500 bucks. Image.

The immobilizer/central locking stopped working because battery was dead, the metal key is fine, the entire assembly can be re-housed in a new shell. It is possible you got duped.

Last edited by Electromotive : 24th November 2021 at 14:14.
Electromotive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 14:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post

The immobilizer/central locking stopped working because battery was dead, the metal key is fine, the entire assembly can be re-housed in a new shell. It is possible you got duped.
Have you tried to do this?

I tried to change the plastic shell after procuring the key from boodmo but since the screw holding the key was not unscrewing, the key could not be removed. Moreover, if you look at the image shared by you and the image of the original key, there is a projection which is in contact with the immobiliser/transmitter in the key. That projection is missing in the key shared by you. The charges of getting a duplicate key from the agency is correct. It's good to have key with OEM support than to have a key made by a local shop who may hold the key codes and can make more duplicates.

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-pixlr.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
Our key was also broke ,almost like this. Looking at the quote from ASC, we decided to go the frugal way! This cover got it covered for Rs.80 and serving for past few years!
I was using this for last 2 years but this doesn't help when the key breaks from plastic casing.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 24th November 2021 at 14:52. Reason: Quoting 5252rpm
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 15:12   #12
BANNED

Quote:
I tried to change the plastic shell after procuring the key from boodmo but since the screw holding the key was not unscrewing, the key could not be removed. Moreover, if you look at the image shared by you and the image of the original key, there is a projection which is in contact with the immobiliser/transmitter in the key. That projection is missing in the key shared by you.
It's a random image off of Amazon, a duplicate shell will have the same structure as the original. So, basically what you are saying is your keyfob transmitter was fine? That means a new transmitter and re-coding wasn't necessary. The SA tricked you into buying what wasn't necessary. As for the worn out key, even local locksmiths can make you a new one for a few hundred bucks.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 15:56   #13
BHPian

Yes old chip is put into new key, that any local locksmith can make. This is the Rs 500 solution. For a thousand bucks you get round Nippon fobs which can be used like keychains and have buttons on them for locking/unlocking car. The buttons on the key are rendered useless. This can lead to confusion, if you hand the keys to someone else. I found the Nippon fob to be a better solution.
AseemYadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:47   #14
BHPian

Interesting thread.

Recently I got a pre-owned WagonR and it had only one key. The key was not in very good shape (though not broken) and was showing the wear and tear. Maruti can definitely improve the plastic quality.

So decided to get flippy key done. Enquired local key makers and got a quote of 1500/-. Did not check the OE cost.

Went to a nearby shop and got a new flippy key done. Selected a nice looking key fob (there were multiple options). The technician was very professional and had all the right equipment (for immobilizer programming). The job was done in ~30 mins.

I'm very happy with the build quality of the flippy key. The original key will not be used going forward.

IMO this is the best option, as long as you get this service in your city.

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-org.jpeg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-one.jpeg

Solution to broken keys of Maruti cars-two.jpeg
mp417 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 17:22   #15
BHPian

My Father-in-law's Swift's key also broke in my hands and the car wasn't starting with just the key inside without the immobilizer. Somehow started the car and got home. It's a 2012 model Swift and the quality of the key is pathetic to say. We had to get the flippy key later from a nearby shop.
ronford is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks