Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2007, 15:51   #1
BHPian

alto related.....

hai guys,
i own an alto and i was wondering whether it is possible to restrict the useage of my car in any ways other than installing security equipments like immobilizers etc.

one of the mechanics at maruti suggested that ignition, mpfi system are all powered via the fuse box and that removing certain number of fuse will render such a possibility. i dont know upto what extend it is true.

please let me know if this or any other alternate methods can be used.
Old 28th May 2007, 06:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
hai guys,
one of the mechanics at maruti suggested that ignition, mpfi system are all powered via the fuse box and that removing certain number of fuse will render such a possibility.
This is cumbersome process. Not feasible each time you leave the car. Install a good scurity system with shock and motion sensor. That should secure your car.
Another method is to use a RFID on the car. Not sure whether its being used in India. Common for expensive cars aboard. The new Maruti immobilser system is good. Almost foolproff. Car thieves have to device a new method to counter this.
Old 28th May 2007, 07:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Install the iCATS, the recently launched engine immobilizer....it is good...

And as mail4ajo suggested, your method looks cumbersome, it is better you install a good security system to protect ur Alto...

Abhi
Old 28th May 2007, 11:22   #4

iCATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Install the iCATS, the recently launched engine immobilizer....it is good...
I don't think you can install that ... comes fitted with all MUL cars. Don't know if it can be fitted later ... ??
Old 28th May 2007, 12:21   #5
BHPian

okay

okay thanks guys for your valuable suggestion. now im gonna look out for some good security systems. do you guys have quotes for some of the best immobilizers?
Old 28th May 2007, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_entity View Post
I don't think you can install that ... comes fitted with all MUL cars. Don't know if it can be fitted later ... ??
Yesterday a colleauge of mine got a new Estilo... he was telling that you can install iCATS in your old car as well....I didnt enquire personally, I need to check....

Abhi
Old 28th May 2007, 14:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Another method is to use a RFID on the car. Not sure whether its being used in India.
That's actually only good with an incorporated wideband GPS. And only helps locate a stolen car- doesn't prevent theft; aids in recovery.

All systems have loopholes. If you're leaving the car parked for a long period of time, the best way to prevent theft is to remove your steering wheel. Takes 5 mins and a size 24 spanner. Not applicable for expensive cars. Else, use a gearshift lock.

Then there's another way. Little known, though. There's a device called the brake lock. Locks up your brakes. You can't even steal the car by towing it...

There are electrical methods as well, but not as effective.

The next best thing has already been suggested...icats...and yes, it can be fitted onto old Marutis as well...
Old 28th May 2007, 15:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried removing the wheels?
Old 28th May 2007, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Nice idea Maggie, never thought of that as a security system

Abhi
Old 30th May 2007, 16:25   #10
BHPian

I feel people are being too paranoid about the safety of their cars unless they live/park in really bad localities, in which case they shouldn't be owning a car anyways. If they belong to the local gundas category, they needn't be worried about their cars. No-one would dare touch their car.

The built-in steering lock should suffice the purpose, even if you intend to park your car for months at any 'decent' place. Gear stick lock can also help, in addition. As someone said, every system has loopholes, and no system can be of any help, if someone just tows the car away, placing all 4 wheels on some kind of move-able platform first. The alarms can be easily disabled by disconnecting the battery (directly open the bonnet first with the help of a jack) and/or the speakers.

Just invest in a watchman at Rs. 300 per month, or park where there's some security in place, already. In any case, spending more than 2-3% of the car's value on security is pointless, and if you drive a super-luxury merc, you can easily afford the garage/parking fees.
Old 30th May 2007, 16:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I wouldnt be surprised if he said, dismount the engine everytime you parked your car.

Best bet would be to check with your local dealer and get the iCATS installed in your car.
Old 30th May 2007, 19:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi forget all electrical gadgets.Electronics are the weakest part of the car.
Get urself a string gear lock one that would lock ur gear shift as well as the handbrake.This would result in locking of all the 4 wheels.The gear shift will not permit the front wheels from moving as the gear will be in reverse and the handbrake will not permit the rear wheels from moving.This will make the car even difficult to be towed away by the cops.The only downside may be that to install the lock u would need to punch around 3-4 holes in the car chasis.U could try brands like Auto-Cop ,Scorpion or black cat
Old 30th May 2007, 21:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Well I wouldnt be surprised if he said, dismount the engine everytime you parked your car.
Not everyone can handle that - hence not suggested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Best bet would be to check with your local dealer and get the iCATS installed in your car.
Good idea. Then again, Microsoft had once said that the new activation mechanism in Windows XP would prove unbeatable to hackers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks