Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 13:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

DCEite, would a TPMS be useful to you ?
Old 30th May 2007, 14:02   #17
BHPian

Did call Xenos, Coimbatore for the TPMS but the marketing guy was unsure of it's availability in their range itself.
Old 30th May 2007, 14:05   #18
rks
BANNED

I think in case of rear tyre a puncture would be pretty difficult to detect quickly at low speeds. At higher speeds the differences in pick-up and handling will give a clue; there will be more tyre noise and the car may not behave well while cornering/lane cutting. It is also a good idea to check if the car moves in a straight line upon releasing the steering wheel -- I do this every now and then while on straight sections of the highway/Expressway.

It took me 2 weeks to detect a slow puncture in my front right tubeless tyre despite the fact that I drove at high speeds on the Expressway. It ultimately turned out that there was a drop by as much as 10-12 psi in the front right tyre. The mileage dropped considerably, from about 11.5 km/lit to less than 10. There were some differences in handling; the steering was slightly stiffer and the car was more sluggish and weaving about a little, but I kept rationalizing all these as I had just changed to alloys, serviced car, etc. Finally I saw a noticeable bulge in the tyre sidewalls and guessed there was a puncture. A prevously fixed puncture had developed a very slow leak, so slow that the junior tyre mechanic failed to detect it. Had to keep the tyre immersed in water and specifically look hard at the puncture area to see the slow leak.

Next time round I will catch such punctures more quickly by being sensitive to the danger signals. Frequent visual inspection is always desirable. I am really concerned about running flat and damaging my alloys, apart from the possibility of a tyre burst due to low pressure.

Last edited by rks : 30th May 2007 at 14:09.
Old 30th May 2007, 14:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

yup in a tube type tyre you hardly come to know if the rear tyres deflate. I cameto know after driving 2kms. when i took a turn the car felt funny. on a straight line it was normal. then I turned down the music and heard a funny sound. Stopped the car to see the rear tyre flat. This was in the lancer when I had tubed tyres.
Old 30th May 2007, 14:18   #20
BHPian

Hi,

I'd faced a similar problem with my Wagon R too some time back. My right rear tyre had punctured. I could not detect it that easily. A biker stopped me. By that time I had driven the car about 5 kms at 60KMPH and had done considerable damage. had to replace the tyre as well.

From then on I keep looking for odd signs every now and then while driving. Before I start driving too I check all the tyres.

I've since switched to the tubeless and have been having a smooth drive sofar.

regards,
lsjey
Old 30th May 2007, 14:26   #21
Team-BHP Support

As everyone has already said, in an otherwise empty car a rear tyre puncture is very difficult to detect. However here are some tell tale signs which are worth looking out for

* do you hear a zaaap zaaaap, fut fut fut kind of noise? Its the flat tyre.
* did you hear an occasional metallic sound? thats the rim which is hitting the road.
* many a times the car feels like it is hobbling. More like the back is bouncing on one side (and hence the feeling of a hobble). thats because the tyre on that side has probably gone flat.
* on a turn did the car feel like it swayed a bit too much? maybe accompanied by a metallic sound? thats because the outer rear tyre (with respect to the turn) has gone flat.
Old 30th May 2007, 15:04   #22
BHPian

Honda Eterno

my honda eterno cant even take a 10 to 20 mtr distance on a puntured tyre
Old 30th May 2007, 17:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion to people is to upgrade to Tubeless tyres where instances of complete deflation are extremely rare. So apart from the normal regular visual check they really don't have to worry about the tyre deflating.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:46   #24
BHPian

I nearly burnt the rear tubeless of my Palio and nearly destroyed my alloy rim when the nozzle of the rear (left hand side) tubeless tire failed me and I drove nearly 4-5 kms on the expressway before someone started honking behind me. I had to get a new tire and i was surprised that I didnt feel a thing . Probably since the road was smooth and speed was high.
Old 30th May 2007, 18:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
my honda eterno cant even take a 10 to 20 mtr distance on a puntured tyre

hmm, It has the tuffup tube.

Well I was coming back home on my friends Activa yesterday and it got a puncture. We rode for 2kms and then he realised something was wrong with the steering. We stopped and saw the punctured nail, removed and rode another km back home. The tuffup tube had sealed the hole in the tube but the blow had come down. Today filled up air using hand pump drove to puncture shop and got heat patch on it.
Old 30th May 2007, 19:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Your 800 probably had crossply tyres, and the wagon r has radial tyres. Crossply tyres i have observed, literally have no strength when deflated when compared to radial tyres. That is why you don't notice a puncture in a radial tyre as quickly.

Drifter
Old 30th May 2007, 23:37   #27
BHPian

In 2002 I was driving my 1996 Maruti Zen from Trichy to Chennai with the family at a speed of abou 80Kms/hr when there was this earth shaking noise and rattle. Emergency braking revealed that the right rear JK steel belted radial was in shreds with all the metal sticking out at bizare angles. Luckily there was loss of control of the car during the few seconds of frightening cacophony.
Old 31st May 2007, 00:49   #28
Team-BHP Support

I have had the experience of having instant flat tire while driving.

The rear tyre: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...html#post63456

The front tyre: This happened on Mercury Sable back in 1997, it can be scary when it happens. That too I was driving in the middle of a 12 lane stretch in the highway (nearing a toll booth). Suddenly one side of the car went down and started making crazy noise. I stopped right there and found the front right tire flat. Me and my co-passenger pushed the car with flat tire 3 lanes across in peak hour traffic to reach the shoulder. I still can't remember why I didn't drive towards the shoulder.
Old 31st May 2007, 13:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ishaan,

Want to replace all the 5 tyres of my Scorpio. Want one with straight treads. Which tubeless do you suggest and for how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
My suggestion to people is to upgrade to Tubeless tyres where instances of complete deflation are extremely rare. So apart from the normal regular visual check they really don't have to worry about the tyre deflating.
Old 31st May 2007, 14:09   #30
BHPian

It happened to me as well. Rear offshide tyre went flat and I drove miles with it. Then somebody on the road pointed it out! It was a tubeless tyre and I then promptly got it repaired.
As others bhpians already mentioned, for FWD cars, rear tyre puncture is indeed difficult to check. After that incident, before riding car, I always visually inspect the tyres.
If you continue driving with flat tyre, you're likely to damage your wheel rim/alloy soon.
On a separate note, I also found it hard to notice tyre pressure drop unless it is drastic. I usually maintain 30 psi (in Accent) and once I was surprised to find out that one front tyre pressure dropped to 20 psi and I still didn't notice much difference in handling!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks