Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Tension due to rolling - Any tips ?

Guys,

On my way to mallls/theater in my area, some road construction is going on since long. So there is a diversion which seems very dangerous as at one spot it is tilted on the left side.

I often get tense when my Swift is fully loaded with my family on that particular patch as it tilts to the passenger side too much. ..

I have been going through this patch without rolling till now (!!!!!) but this really makes me nervous. (Fortunately construction will be over soon)

I rural part of Maharashtra, I have seen many Jeeps carrying literally 7-8 people. Often these jeeps are parked horribly by roadside with left side off-road and right side on road.

Guys, is there any tips which you use to judge the safety of your car when it's fully loaded and road is like mentioned above ?

Is there any gadget which can warn me that car is tilting dangerously ??
Old 31st May 2007, 11:04   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post

Is there any gadget which can warn me that car is tilting dangerously ??
You need a grade / tilt indicator also called a clinometer.

A simpler version of this is a spirit level. Off-road vehicles generally have them. I remember the Nissan Patrol having one back in the 80s. Should be available online.

Check this out: Link to ebay
Old 4th June 2007, 07:00   #3
BANNED

But, Sourcing & fitting clinometer on our Indian vehicles seems to be a daunting task !!!
Old 4th June 2007, 12:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey abhay buddy, do not worry. I can understand your worry. However 4-wheeled vehicles are much more resistant to rolling over than the 2-wheelers. Particularly if you have bigger wheels with longer suspension travel your car will normally be that much more steadier while passing through such stretches.

Normally you can do two things. If the tilt feels a little to steep (a visual observation should tell you so) ask your family members to get down and then drive carefully through that patch. Also, you may first let another car pass and then follow him. If the other car has not rolled over chances are you won't either, lol.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
You need a grade / tilt indicator also called a clinometer.
A simpler version of this is a spirit level.

My grandfather had fitted one of these on his 73 Fiat...they were very expensive back in the day (genuine ones), but now i believe they shouldnt be hard to grab hold of...you can see it mounted over the speedo here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...?do=big&p=1765

i remember a friends very early pajero had one...

Most Viewed