Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 17:10   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
K&N themselves say that in dusty environments its recommended that a shroud be used.
I agree with you Tanveer. Ever since I plonked in a K&N OE filter (2 yrs back and 35k Kms later) i have had to get the TB and injectors cleaned at every alternate service interval. I can imagine the scenario if a Universal filter is used as it is open and prone to more dust.

Since the "shroud" is mentioned, would i need one even if i am using the OE replacement type K&N filter?
Old 21st July 2008, 17:21   #77
Team-BHP Support

Any "high flow" air filter needs a shroud if you are driving in a dust storm.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:22   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Any "high flow" air filter needs a shroud if you are driving in a dust storm.
Who's driving in the desert guys?

I really dont know of any states that dusty as been mentioned.

If yes pls educate me.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:32   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Who's driving in the desert guys?

I really dont know of any states that dusty as been mentioned.

If yes pls educate me.
Entire north India is one big dust Bowl in months of April May with dust storms where visibility drops to a few meters with billowing clouds of dust.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st July 2008 at 17:35.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:34   #80
BANNED

Thanks mods,

I must admit, i was not aware of this kind of situation up north.
Old 21st July 2008, 18:16   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PAVAN KADAM : Truck ? . I dont own any truck.
I am refering to this one : Tata Safari DICOR 2006 THE BEAST Home away from Home - PAVAN KADAM's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

Have you tried a K&N on this one ?
Quote:
n_aditya : Since the "shroud" is mentioned, would i need one even if i am using the OE replacement type K&N filter?
I thought a replacement filter meant that you take out the OE filter element and put in a filter element from K&N. Or any other make. But you would retain the casing of the filter element.

You would have to give up the shroud / casing only if you replace the filter with a different type / model. Like replacing your OE filter with a conical.

Last edited by condor : 21st July 2008 at 18:25. Reason: Adding point for Aditya
Old 16th November 2008, 12:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

K&N air filter v/s paper filter

Hi
I have been going through a lot of sites regarding the use of K&N filters in street cars.Many kept saying the same
thing that K&N do not do a good job of filtering the air and allows dust to come in through.Now i am not contesting
the performance aspect of K&N,that is not really my concern neither am i trying to say that the product is bad or good.
I have come upon a couple of questions to the people who say that K&N air filters allow more dust to pass and does not do
its filtering work good enough.Well could be so.
I guess all the people who say that K&N allows more dirt in must have taken the pains to observe the quantity of dust
inside thier cars' engines "after" they purchased and used the K&N.I wonder if anyone bothered to see how much
dust or debris there was prior to using the K&N with a paper filter?What i am trying to say is did these people meausre the amount
of dust inside the engine while using a paper filter and tested the same using a K&N and found more dust present
than while using the paper filter?Or is that they never checked the engine for dust and debris before and just happen to
do so after putting in the K&N because someone said that K&N allows more dust in the engine.
I own a K&N myslef (Round type,stock replacement) for my carb 800.On reading stuff about dust and debris getting through
i decided to switch back to OEM paper filters.Below are couple of pics of my old paper fitler and the new one i bought.

Old paper Filter(Purolator)
K&N Air Filter, the side effects.-old_paper_filter.jpg

New Paper Filter (Purolator)
K&N Air Filter, the side effects.-new_paper_filter.jpg

If you notice the image (might be hard to see because of poor quality image.Sorry for that) the paper filter have some thin
paper fibres sticking out of the material.some of them are a little loose and can be pulled gently by hand.My second question is,
won't these fibres if sucked inside the air intake also cause similar damage to the engine ?Hey,after all they are foreign
substances.So what do you think guys.Won't the paper filter be as damaging as the K&N which may allow microscopic dust
into the engine?The K&N allows dust while the paper allows the fibres.

I have removed my K&N currently and replaced it with a new paper filter.The low end torque has improved and the
car is more driveble in traffic conditions.But God,do i miss the sound of the air intake,i really do.Don't know if i will switch
back to the K&N?
Old 16th November 2008, 21:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
.My second question is,
won't these fibres if sucked inside the air intake also cause similar damage to the engine ?Hey,after all they are foreign
substances.So what do you think guys.Won't the paper filter be as damaging as the K&N which may allow microscopic dust
into the engine?The K&N allows dust while the paper allows the fibres.
the answer is simple paper fiber are combustible and are in minuscule quantity and can not be more then what you see from naked eye
they will burn up in to smoke once inside the engine leaving a very little residue
on the other hand dust is nothing but fine silica ( SIO2) mixed with minerals and impurities as per environment , Silica is not combustible but will form very hard deposits inside the engine mixed with carbon, Ever seen fired clay pottery ?
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2008, 13:07   #84
BHPian

Hmm, thank God I chose to use HKS and not K&N. After about 7000+kms of driving in Blore, I opened the filter and put my finger in the intake pipe and swiped it.. I was Amazed to see the results. It was as clean as the day I put that filter on the first time. The air suction is also brilliant, you can literaly listen to the hiss of the air being sucked and after 5000rpm, it starts whistling!
Its worth every penny of the 12k I paid.

Cheers
Shrey
Old 30th July 2009, 00:13   #85
BHPian

I have been looking for a general air filter topic on which to post my questions but could not find any. So I am reviving this old thread which have some common thread to what I want to ask.

I want to use performance filter for better pick-up; to subdue the struggling humming sound of the engine when revving up moderately to change gear. After going through a few air filter topics, it appears that engine noise level goes up after installing a performance filter. To me that's a negative side effect. How audible is that noise? BTW, I don't rev hard, barely upto 2500 rpm.
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:20   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have been looking for a general air filter topic on which to post my questions but could not find any. So I am reviving this old thread which have some common thread to what I want to ask.

I want to use performance filter for better pick-up; to subdue the struggling humming sound of the engine when revving up moderately to change gear. After going through a few air filter topics, it appears that engine noise level goes up after installing a performance filter. To me that's a negative side effect. How audible is that noise? BTW, I don't rev hard, barely upto 2500 rpm.
If your aim is to reduce noise from the engine bay, i would recommend staying away from performance airfilters and their accompanying kits. Their function is to increase airflow, and with that comes a more pronounced induction "roar". Especially in your case since you don't rev high, the paper filter is better suited to your needs. The stock intake system that comes on our cars have been specifically designed to keep sound levels low. Moreover, it gives better low range torque as well. So it'll be better if you stay with the paper filter and the stock intake system, it'll keep you're engine clean too.

The humming sound that you mention might be due to a clogged filter or just normal engine noise.

If you still feel that paper filters are not for you, and if you promise not to rev hard, then maybe you could check out a stock replacement panel filter for your car.

Last edited by di1in : 2nd October 2009 at 16:24.
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:41   #87
BHPian

OT.
Is it only me? I clicked on the link provided by the thread starter; got a page not found (404) message, and a poor safety warning from WOT (Web of Trust) add-on I use with Firefox. Did anybody else get a 404 message?

Last edited by NutsNBolts : 2nd October 2009 at 17:44.
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:25   #88
BHPian

The web page seems to have been removed. Even I could not get to the article mentioned in the first post.
Old 4th October 2009, 12:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
OT.
Is it only me? I clicked on the link provided by the thread starter; got a page not found (404) message, and a poor safety warning from WOT (Web of Trust) add-on I use with Firefox. Did anybody else get a 404 message?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
The web page seems to have been removed. Even I could not get to the article mentioned in the first post.
The Spicer report is here: ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report
Old 4th October 2009, 12:37   #90
BHPian

You might also want to go through this : Air Filtration Test
Check out the filtration test results - k&n does not make airfilters, they make pieces of cloth covered in oil. Probably some kind of conspiracy by the textile industry and the oil industry.

P.S: I don't think SPICER was biased in his report, he merely said that a particular filter which had far better filtration than the others ended up with the least flow.

Last edited by di1in : 4th October 2009 at 12:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks