Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2007, 23:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Arre yaar instead of Bashing HYUNDAI around help our ICE guru wid some engine vingine stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
No Hyunadi for me ever....and I did not bought any santro....

Last edited by kpzen : 26th May 2007 at 23:21.
Old 27th May 2007, 00:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Like I said on the phone when you told me the problem Sam, it was the axle. Now as I told you I asked KP to call up his brother & find out the details. It seems yours is indeed a freak incident and this has not happened around these parts, atleast not been known to happen.

There have been some problems with a few gearboxes but that was due to excessive ripping of the car (powerful diesel engine, addictive thrust, driver having too small a brain etc. etc.) but no axle issues. I also told him that you/your driver did not rip the car at all. He did confirm that it does indeed have a double joint axle on "one" of the sides. As I understood both are not double jointed only one is (IIRC it's the driver side one) and that it has to do with some "extension" not sure what that exactly means.

His sincere advice (and mine too like I told you on the phone) is that you insist on a replacement for the failed part from the company & insist on it. If the service centre refuses, escalate the issue to Hyundai India which I'm sure we can also help you do (I know you can do it yourself too). Your, mine & his thoughts concur on the fact that it can be dangerous if there is another failure at high speeds and taking a chance with this is not on. Not to mention the loss of confidence in the car when travelling at high speeds.

And hope you have a nice Saturday night out!
Old 27th May 2007, 00:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

And guys please don't make this into a Hyundai bashing thread, I've owned two Santros (one is my mother's current car) and they have performed admirably without any issues & the A.S.S. id very, very good. Even far superior than Honda's.

Let's focus our energy on finding a solution to Sam's problem.
Old 27th May 2007, 01:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Like I said on the phone when you told me the problem Sam, it was the axle. Now as I told you I asked KP to call up his brother & find out the details. It seems yours is indeed a freak incident and this has not happened around these parts, atleast not been known to happen.

There have been some problems with a few gearboxes but that was due to excessive ripping of the car (powerful diesel engine, addictive thrust, driver having too small a brain etc. etc.) but no axle issues. I also told him that you/your driver did not rip the car at all. He did confirm that it does indeed have a double joint axle on "one" of the sides. As I understood both are not double jointed only one is (IIRC it's the driver side one) and that it has to do with some "extension" not sure what that exactly means.

His sincere advice (and mine too like I told you on the phone) is that you insist on a replacement for the failed part from the company & insist on it. If the service centre refuses, escalate the issue to Hyundai India which I'm sure we can also help you do (I know you can do it yourself too). Your, mine & his thoughts concur on the fact that it can be dangerous if there is another failure at high speeds and taking a chance with this is not on. Not to mention the loss of confidence in the car when travelling at high speeds.

And hope you have a nice Saturday night out!
Ya I agree here..when my viva axle started making noises I went to the showroom to get it checked....with a little loud chat they easily agree to change the whole axle and it was the driver side one and this one is the longer one....
Old 27th May 2007, 01:12   #35
Team-BHP Support

Rags, hyundai bashing is out of point. To start doing that you need a lot many such issues occuring. They are known for their exemplary service as I understand it. However it is also true that of late there are very frequent such issues being reported on this forum and outside for one's comfort. Probably they need to take a second look at their quality department. It does not serve their purpose as they have really made a name with lot of good effort put in, considering that not many ever heard about them when they came to India.
Old 27th May 2007, 01:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
The worst part of this kind of problem in a new car is that you start loosing the confidence on the car. You may now have it in back of your mind, what if I get the same problem when vehicle is cruising at 120kmph out of city on highways.

Probably you may need some time to get the confidence back.
Very succintly put. Sam - escalate this.
Old 27th May 2007, 02:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

It is really sad that such a thing happened, but comforting at the same time that it did not lead to any unfortunate incidents. Dont worry sam, a machine can always be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I understand there is something wrong with the car. But something goes wrong with cars often. There's no need to start Hyundai-bashing...

I had a Hyundai for 6 years and spent nothing more than routine service money on it. There were a few mishaps but insurance covered the bulk of the expenses, which weren't too high in any case.
Are you really saying that it is better to depend on insurance than on the manufacturer ? i always thought that it was otherwise.
Old 27th May 2007, 03:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Are you really saying that it is better to depend on insurance than on the manufacturer ? i always thought that it was otherwise.
No. I'm saying it's a low maintenance car.
Old 27th May 2007, 03:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

You are right. People who had hyundais for more than 5 years would swear by it's dependability. It is the recent crop of their production which is a little suspect in terms of quality. I suspect maruti too is slowly falling that way (I hope not).
Old 27th May 2007, 06:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yeah Sam, dont let this go unnoticed. Do write to hyundai and demand an explanation. This is not supposed to happen.
, This issue needs to be escalated... This is not at all a minor issue, this shud never happen in the first place....

Abhi
Old 27th May 2007, 09:29   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

So, the verna is fixed.

It was fixed in an hour after it was taken to the workshop. As the super explained, the axle was absolutely fine and had, well, come off. He said it had never happened in other vernae and I'm inclined to believe him.
He was nice and polite. I figured there was nothing more I could say.

My driver says, they raised the car up on a service ramp and opened up the axle and fit it back. He cannot confirm to me if the locks were missing, replaced or anything.

I have a a job sheet from HMIL. It says "Fit Axle Properly" labour 0, parts 0.

One thing you guys are spot on about, I have no confidence to drive the car to pune now. I intend to take the car to work for atleast 2 more months before i muster up the courage to drive it quick.

So much for a quick car.

As far as taking it up further, I'm interested to offer my feedback to HMIL, chennai. Does anyone have an email address I can address my worries to?

In all fairness,my problem may have been a stinker, but Hyundai service was quick, efficient and couteous.

Thank you everyone for your support.
Old 27th May 2007, 09:38   #42
Team-BHP Support

Sam, any idea why exactly it happened? it's not very common on even older cars to have the axle just slip off.

It may be a one off problem but you dont drive it hard. Neither do I think that you have hit a bump or rock, so the axle hasnt even taken an impact.

Which side axle was it?

Good to know the car's driving fine now. Do take it out for a spin and let us know if it feels the same. Use it in the city till the next service after that your confidence should build up on the car. Till then the lancer should more than keep you happy on the expressway.
Old 27th May 2007, 10:30   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Till then the lancer should more than keep you happy on the expressway.
I've said it before viddy, I'll say it again. Driving the verna to pune is like driving a boat. Sure it overtakes really quick and touches 185-190 kmph tops. But it's not confidence inspiring. In fact the only thing it does, is go quick and feel super powerful.

Now that lancer, shod with 15" alloy wheels, 205/50 rubber... that hugs the road and turns like it's got glue on the wheels.
Sit's pretty on the road.

The seats in the Verna are absolute testicles. Back feels wierd and contorted in 2 hours. But that lancer... ummm and aaaahh.... I could drive it to kanyakumari and back.

To tell you the truth i have not driven the verna yet, after it has returned. I was dropped to the airport by the driver and this is where i am right now.
Old 27th May 2007, 11:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

A couple of 3000 rpm clutch dumps and steering flicks would be enough to test the axle, methinks.
Old 27th May 2007, 16:53   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

You will never drive my car again, silly racerboy. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
A couple of 3000 rpm clutch dumps and steering flicks would be enough to test the axle, methinks.

Most Viewed