Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2007, 17:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

IMHO There is no Hyundai Bashing here - it is just to voice one's genuine concern for safety be it Hyundai, Maruti, Skoda or Mitsubishi.

If a thing of this kind has happened, there is every reason to bring it to the notice of the Manufacturer. Today fortunately there have been no injuries or other damage, but we all realize it could have been bad had the car been at a high(er) speed.

By the way I am also a Hyundai VIVA CRDi owner & a very happy one at that.

Cheers
Old 27th May 2007, 17:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
As far as taking it up further, I'm interested to offer my feedback to HMIL, chennai. Does anyone have an email address I can address my worries to?
Ask your dealer for the Hyundai Service number - its some number in Delhi (Gurgaon?). You register a complaint with the call centre and they get back to you VERY promptly - I used this to DEMAND an extended warranty on my Accent when I found that new Accents were being offered EXTWAR for 2 years after 2 years std warranty - this AFTER my original warranty had expired. The dealer refused because he didnt have the authority to do so, but gave me the number to call.

Within 3 days of my call they had verified my service records and I got a call back saying that they have approved the exception and I could make a payment at the dealer.
Old 27th May 2007, 20:01   #48
BHPian

Other problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Actually Hyundai has an excellent A.S.S , they want people to fully use them ..

Do people have similiar problems with Ford ( Fiesta /I*** )?
You have other problems with Ford. You dread to go to the service station at-least in Bangalore. I don't have a Ford but I would prefer a Hyundai to a Ford. Anything can fail (though not good to fail). In case of Hyundai, it can be fixed, in case of Ford, god save you.
Old 27th May 2007, 20:23   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I'm interested to offer my feedback to HMIL, chennai. Does anyone have an email address I can address my worries to?
Check PM Inbox. Just emailed you
Old 27th May 2007, 20:42   #50
Dillusionalist

Wow Mr Sam.. thats horrible.
I intend to buy a new car and maybe this instance of yours has put me off Hyundai for sure.
Cheers
Hriday

Old 28th May 2007, 11:52   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Do people have similiar problems with Ford ( Fiesta /Ikon )?
Navdeep, care to explain the relevance of this statement here?
Old 28th May 2007, 11:58   #52
Team-BHP Support

It's a freak problem that seems to have passed through the assembly line and final checks.

Should you write to Hyundai to let them know how you feel?
Yes! They should definitely hear about this problem. It's not a small issue. Good thing it happened in the city and not while out on a deserted highway. They should take this as constructive criticism. And maybe they will apologise by giving you an extended warranty FOC.

Should people hold back on their decision to buy a Verna because of this?
No! Freak issue's can and have happened with every company. It's how they deal with the issue is what's more important.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:29   #53
rks
BANNED

Quote:
So, the verna is fixed.

It was fixed in an hour after it was taken to the workshop. As the super explained, the axle was absolutely fine and had, well, come off. He said it had never happened in other vernae and I'm inclined to believe him.
He was nice and polite. I figured there was nothing more I could say.

My driver says, they raised the car up on a service ramp and opened up the axle and fit it back. He cannot confirm to me if the locks were missing, replaced or anything.

I have a a job sheet from HMIL. It says "Fit Axle Properly" labour 0, parts 0.
I am not satisfied with the response from Hyundai service. There should have been some explanation as to why this happened and how it can be prevented in future. If it happened once why can't it happen again? Is it their opinion that the car was subjected to some extreme driving conditions that should not be repeated? Or was it a failure on Hyundai's part? A more thorough investigation was clearly needed. I doubt if the Hyundai service guys did anything more than visually inspect the axle; perhaps they should have taken time to carefully check if the failed axle met the orginal design specifications/tolerances. Unfortunately I suspect that the service station is already swamped and will have little time for detailed investigations.

In this case the car was driven by many drivers and so one can never be sure that it was not subjected to some extreme driving/road conditions. I personally feel that Hyundai experts should take another close look at the axle and certify that it is in good shape.

Last edited by rks : 28th May 2007 at 12:31.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your Verna. It is good to hear that it is fixed. But, I think you should write to Hyundai to ascertain why the axle had slipped in the first place. Knowing the reason should help you better understand your car. It is good you have decided to keep the car in observation for 2 months.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:51   #55
BANNED

Dear Sam you are very lucky the axle problem was in parking and not when your zooming at 190! Abroad you could sue them and get millions but here you can only thank your stars. Drive safely friend.
Old 28th May 2007, 12:53   #56
Team-BHP Support

I believe they did tell Sam the reason. Will let Sam explain that, as he likes to tell his own stories!
Old 28th May 2007, 13:00   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I believe they did tell Sam the reason. Will let Sam explain that, as he likes to tell his own stories!
What! Rtech, you want to turn this into another 6000 post thread?
Old 28th May 2007, 13:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sam, some of these guys (atleast the guys at Autobahn) have heard of Team-BHP. tell them you are senior well respected member there and you will detail the entire debacle on this forum if they do not do exactly as you instruct them.

Some moons back (about 1 year ago) Autobahn had lost one floor mat and one wheel nut cover during a service. I avoided them and used Team Motor Works for my next services. Some time back they called me and I told them why I had switched and about Team-BHP.

They begged and I gave them ONE LAST CHANCE. I got my car back yeterday (ok they took 2 days - they claim it was becuase their wheel balancing/alignment machine was down) but surprise the car came back with the missing floor mat and wheel nut cover!
WOW that was nice to get back your mat and wheel nut cover..!!
Old 28th May 2007, 13:42   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
A more thorough investigation was clearly needed. I doubt if the Hyundai service guys did anything more than visually inspect the axle; perhaps they should have taken time to carefully check if the failed axle met the orginal design specifications/tolerances. Unfortunately I suspect that the service station is already swamped and will have little time for detailed investigations.

Errrr RKS,

What in your opinion is the method how a service station can check design specs/tolerances of a axle. I dont think we should pounce on any service station specifically in this case as Sam has no issues in terms of service, politeness or speed of addressal. They also have a reputation to protect and the Service station in question is the Company owned and operated one.

I see no reason to get worked up and issue a certficate, the car is in anycase under warranty.

Viper
Old 28th May 2007, 14:32   #60
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Errrr RKS,

What in your opinion is the method how a service station can check design specs/tolerances of a axle.
Perhaps they should have simply replaced the axle and sent the failed part to the company for detailed tests? Of course, the judgement of the service engineer(s) was that such a step was not necessary. As you say, these are knowledgable people who should know what they are doing. But they operate under severe time pressure. Perhaps a convincing explanation should be given for the failure, which cannot be taken lightly. Maybe such an explanation was given, but not yet posted to the thread as pointed out by Rtech.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks