Team-BHP - Brakes not working as they should be
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Brakes not working as they should be (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/24899-brakes-not-working-they-should.html)

Today morning I realized a very different behavior from my Car ZEN LX MPFI. While coming to office and navigating through the cycle rickshaws, autos:Frustrati i kissed the back of another car in front of me. Actually y the difference between the cars was not much bit that’s the way we drive in rush hours. The car in front of me stopped suddenly because there was some stupid cycle came in front of him, i also applied breaks but i looked to me that as i have not applied any break at all and i hit the car in front of me not much damage but my left head light glass broke down. So after passing through that stretch i got to some open road i tried to again press the break paddle it i felt that breaks get s engaged after few seconds or the effect as i was expecting was not there. All this happened when AC was on. I switched off the AC and again applied breaks, now they behaved properly . I tried doing this again with AC on and off and I found that when AC is on the breaks needs some time to engage and the breaking effect is less than compared to when AC is Off.
I could not understand why this behavior and how AC effects the breaking feature if the CAR.
can any one please explain me

This appears to be a problem (leakage) with the vaccum hose from the intake manifold to the Master cylinder(brake) or to the AC solenoid!

Common belt in Esteem for AC and brake booster(Like in indica's)?
Faulty belt could be the culprit, excessive slippage under load.

And then probably you would be able to brake well, then break open. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 461736)
Common belt in Esteem for AC and brake booster(Like in indica's)?

Tanveer..
I dont think there's any belt for the brake booster....Its run by the air pressure pipes..

check your booster lines .

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I am going to service station tomorrow. Will update you on this afetr that.

when was the last time you bled your brake lines ? brake fluid develops some water droplets and decreases performance

Yeah i too havea zen and i know that while AC is on the braking efficiency is reduced..many people dont agree abt ths. you can feel more difference when your brakes are little loose..

This is bcos the AC and the brake boosters both use engine power and when ac uses the engine power the brakes gets the power little less.

Probably your car needs a new Brake Master Cylinder Kit. The theorey that due to the engine power being sapped, the brakes will be weaker is not true. However logical it might sound to some, :confused: its not true. In that case the power steering, etc and anything driven by belts or without belts but using engine power should be slack. The reasoning of Gerardfdz that there could be a leak in the vaccum pipes is the most logical one that comes to mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish82 (Post 500912)
Yeah i too havea zen and i know that while AC is on the braking efficiency is reduced..many people dont agree abt ths. you can feel more difference when your brakes are little loose..

This is bcos the AC and the brake boosters both use engine power and when ac uses the engine power the brakes gets the power little less.

Are you sure about this ? In my Alto with power brakes, I've never ever felt it like that way when the AC was ON !!!

The brake booster uses vacuum from the engine to multiply the force that your foot applies to the master cylinder.

The vacuum booster is a very simple, elegant design.
The device needs a vacuum source to operate. In petrol cars, the engine provides a vacuum suitable for the boosters. Because diesel engines don't produce a vacuum, diesel-powered vehicles must use a separate vacuum pump.

Petrol cars take booster vacum from manifold, there is no separate belt driven pump, so check your booster circuit and clean and blead your brakes.

AC will not cause brake fade, yeah maybe a raised AC idle RPM will give lesser engine braking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 503474)
Are you sure about this ? In my Alto with power brakes, I've never ever felt it like that way when the AC was ON !!!

The brake booster uses vacuum from the engine to multiply the force that your foot applies to the master cylinder.

The vacuum booster is a very simple, elegant design. The device needs a vacuum source to operate. In petrol cars, the engine provides a vacuum suitable for the boosters. Because diesel engines don't produce a vacuum, diesel-powered vehicles must use a separate vacuum pump.

ALto's brakes are better zens brakes,which are of old design, but i have felt this thing with ac on for both my zen and previous 800. i first thought that the inefficiency in braking was just psychological cause the windows were up.but i defnetly tested it with windows down and ac on.. happened in my zen. i also have an accent but it never happens with that...