Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2007, 15:53   #1
BHPian

DOT 3 vs DOT 4- Indica Brake Oil Change

Hi,I'm planning to change the Brake-Clutch fluid in my Lancer- It specifies a DOT-4 Oil.

Now in My XETA- The Oil level over the Year has gone down to Half, and I guess it Castrol Red Colour Oil which the manual specifies as DOT3.

Can I change it to DOT 4 Mobil 1 Brake Oil same as the Lancer, Also I did not notice the Clutch Fluid Container in the XETA, Does it not need replacement of fluid.

I'm planning a road trip, so wanted the car to be in great shape, I will get getting the Balancing and Alignment done sometime soon for the Vibration > 100 Kmph problem.Thanks

Last edited by wolfinstein : 10th June 2007 at 15:55.
Old 10th June 2007, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are three grades of Brake oils DOT-3 , DOT-4, DOT-5..
DOT -4 has the following advantages over DOT-3
1. Higher boiling temperature
2. Higher resistance to water absorption
DOT - Department of Transportation

If there's no clutch fluid container container in XETA it means it has a mechanical clutch whereas the Lancer has a Hydraulic one.

Brake system is a critical part of the car in terms of safety so its better to stick with what the manufacturer recommend's. Please don't try anything before going for a road trip
Old 10th June 2007, 16:12   #3
BHPian

So, I should put DOT 3 in the XETA and DOT 4 in the Lancer.

Do I need to flush the Old Fluid, or I leave a cloth to absorb the oil and then pour the new one. ( At least I have seen the Service Mech's do this) rather than bleed and Flush the System each time.
Old 10th June 2007, 16:16   #4
BHPian

wolf I dont think Indica has a hydraullic clutch hence no need for the hydraullic fluid (clutch oil). Mixing of brake oil is not recommended so dont try topping up a DOT3 with DOT4. Its your brakes you are talking about so dont take a risk...cross the road(literally ) and talk to the vivek guys about it if you have further doubts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
So, I should put DOT 3 in the XETA and DOT 4 in the Lancer.

Do I need to flush the Old Fluid, or I leave a cloth to absorb the oil and then pour the new one. ( At least I have seen the Service Mech's do this) rather than bleed and Flush the System each time.
a cloth cant guarantee the oil being completely fluched . There is always some oil in the hoses.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th June 2007 at 03:38.
Old 10th June 2007, 16:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes u'll have to flush the old fluid before to get the max out of the new brake oil.

Is it a DIY ??
Old 10th June 2007, 16:20   #6
BHPian

I understand that bit, So I mean If I buy Brake Oil for both the car's seprately, How do I replace it, Or should I change it in the lancer and in the XETA wait till some more time, Currently its at Half way mark, I din't see no leaks and Braking is fine.
Old 10th June 2007, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I understand that bit, So I mean If I buy Brake Oil for both the car's seprately, How do I replace it, Or should I change it in the lancer and in the XETA wait till some more time, Currently its at Half way mark, I din't see no leaks and Braking is fine.
It doenst need to be replaced. Just keep topping up. Isnt it getting topped up in every service. If the braking is fine and there are no leaks then you dont have to worry about it unless and until the brake oil level is below the min level..
Old 10th June 2007, 16:37   #8
BHPian

Nah! They said level is fine enough.
Old 10th June 2007, 18:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Nah! They said level is fine enough.
In that case you dont have to worry about anything
Old 10th June 2007, 18:04   #10
BHPian

I would sugegst, do not change DOT3 to DOT4 , you may get premature wear of seals and rubber compnents if you put DOT4 where DOT3 is specified and vice-versa, stick to manufact specifcations.

Last edited by Kinetik : 10th June 2007 at 18:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks