Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 12:27   #16

Re: Multiple issues on brand-new Tata Safari Dark Edition

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your new car. I own the Tata Nexon since the past 4 years (43k km) and fortunately have not faced any major issues. One suggestion for complaint regarding service is to book via their TMSC app. They request for feedback after service and if there are issues reported in feedback via app, I found the service centre takes it a bit more seriously.
I have had two bad feedbacks sent via app and both time the service centre followed up properly with me for issues they did not take care during service.
Hope this gets resolved soon and you enjoy trouble free ownership of your new car.
Neeraj_S is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 12:33   #17
BHPian

That is a tough thing to have. I have seen silver box complaints earlier on the XUV. However my piece of advise if that the car is a piece of equipment that has thousands of assembled vendor supplied parts, and sadly even one part on it misbehaves puts the entire equipment and the ownership experience at disdain.

Since the silver box is the culprit, IMHO give it time till the faulty part is replaced. I feel the equipment is nicely engineered and it should soon return the smile on your face.
As regards service, I own Hyundai and Mahindra cars and I always felt this aspect requires a major overhaul for all these OEMs. Being mass market cars the service load at key cities is just too much to take and humanely impossible to manage. Walk ins, running repairs actually clog these service networks; they need to think of a separate model for such services so that the customer experience on scheduled PM services are not affected.
gopa99 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 12:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Tata Safari Dark Edition XZA+ and took delivery in the end of Feb 2022!

I have been getting embarrassed for choosing this car from day 1(Literally). So here is how it went till now:

To be continued........
It is quite sad that you are going through this tough ordeal. My sympathies.

Owned a TATA car for 8 years and my experiences were similar to yours. Mechanically TATA cars are good, but that's the only thing which is satisfactory. QC is pathetic, Customer care is non-existent, quality of electrical/electronic components is worst. Dealers are not even bothered to address the issues nor TATA as a company, interested to manufacture a satisfactory product.

There has never been a day during my ownership, that I felt proud to own a quality TATA car. Sure Make in India and all that matters but not at the expense of having a stressful product.

It sometimes feels that the manufacturer is taking the customer for granted. Why would you want to waste your time and energy dealing with incompetent Service Centers? Either sell off the car, which would mean taking a huge financial blow, or take TATA to court.
All the best sir
snappysam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 12:47   #19
BHPian

Update:

As promised the Autovikas team came home at 11 am. They were carrying the laptop with them. The first thing the technician did was disconnect the battery and connect it again. This made the constant beeping sound go away for now. But the technician said it will return since there are errors in the system due to malfunctioning silverbox.

He connected the laptop to check and as expected the infotainment system wasnt even responding.

At the same time, I got a call from AutoVikas and she had Tata customer care spoc for NCR with her. He assured that he had made all arrangements and also involved the vendor - Visteon and all parts will be delivered by 12:30 day. He requested me to let the technicians take the car and he will update me by 4pm.

So for now, they have taken the car away and i also highlighted the left pull issue. He assured me he will get the attended as well.

Stay tuned......
revved_up is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excommunicado View Post
You have bought the most expensive model in its special edition avatar from TATA, yet they treat you this way. It is as if they don't care.

This is the exact same words my dad used when he was explaining why he cancelled our booking to the sales manager. We had booked the exact same model car, Safari XZA+ dark edition and when the vehicle was delivered, the AC just wasn't working no matter what. The salesperson who was with us during PDI tried to play it off as the car not having had a simple software update and that all new cars are delivered to the dealership this way. We were going to accept it at his word but our neutral family friend we had brought with us immediately smelled a lie since the sales person also tried fiddling with the AC before giving this grand statement meaning he had no clue why it wasn't working either.

Asking to examine any of the other countless safaris in his yard was met with the response that they had all conveniently received this update that somehow mine hadn't got. His sales manager also backed him up with even more confidence as well as some small taunts added in that nobody actually does PDI and have you never bought an advanced car like this before. Anyway, we walked away with the promise that the car would be ready the very next day after they update the software.

The next day, we called them and, no surprise, the car still isn't ready. After a another day of similar responses, we decided to just wait till they called us instead. This was supposed to be just a simple software update, mind you.

Days go by.
Days turn into a week.
It turns into 2 weeks.
Finally we get fed up and call the salesman instead to cancel the booking. He immediately tells us that the car is fixed and you can come take a look tomorrow. We decline. We then receive a call from the sales manager asking why we were cancelling our booking and offering us another safari of the same spec instead. We politely declined and reminded him if this is the kind of 'we don't care, not our problem' treatment they give to someone who booked their most expensive model in the most expensive variant even before the sale is completed, then I shudder to think about their after sales. They tried throwing some weak threats about how they had brought such an expensive car all the way from Maharashtra in our name and now we can't just change our minds like that without repercussions. Told them good luck with that
Got my booking amount refunded in about a month.

Anyway @revved_up , remember that pretty much all such dealership personnel are trained liars. They are trained very well to play off all your complaints as very minor things and make you feel silly or incompetent for bringing up serious issues. The managers are no better, they are just there to make sure the lies are told as efficiently as possible and make the dealership as much money as possible. The only thing you can do in this situation is to vote with your wallet and find another dealership to go to that is professional and doesn't just see you as a bakra to squeeze money out of, repercussions be damned.

Also most of the blame lies on Tata motors for such unscrupulous dealerships facing no consequences as well as for manufacturing and selling 'premium' cars with zero quality control which ends up making the owner's life hell. Tata motors enjoys many tax advantages as well as numerous other benefits for being a domestic company yet they still can't resist cutting corners and can't deliver a car that actually works compared to foreign companies that are taxed heavily and have their margins eaten up left, right and center. They have the time to design and launch numerous special editions of their cars but still can't do something as basic as pulling aside a car with obvious issues in the factory.

For anyone still considering a tata car, I would recommend you go through the teambhp PDI checklist and ensure everything works exactly right before you pay anything other than the booking amount. Like it's mentioned in the checklist, do take a neutral third party with you, preferably a friend or neighbour who is also into cars. I know I would have accepted the dealership's lame excuses and gone ahead with the payment if I had gone alone since I was impatient about finally getting the car and you just don't really want to accept that something is wrong with your precious car that you fell in love with and you saved up for. Do feel free to vote with your wallet and walk away if something feels off because every time I see such posts, I am reminded that I saved myself from what was likely a lemon and a major headache. Until companies see that they are losing customers for their shoddy practices, nothing will be done to improve.
Cresterk is offline   (112) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 14:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Even my 8 year old girl told me, Papa you made a mistake by buying this Tata car. We never had such issues with our Duster. This sums up the embarrassment i have had to go through in front of my family and friends!
Having owned a TATA car for 11 years, below are the lessons I learnt while maintaining a TATA car.

1) When the car is in warranty, never let TATA After Sales Service (TASS) staff wash your car. Be it interior or exterior cleaning. Most likely the car will end up having electrical, upholstery, or paint damage if they wash it.

2) Even when in warranty, never take the car to TASS until and unless you have to. I understand that in your case TASS is the only option. But if you have to fix small mechanical or electrical issues, such as wheel balancing, changing bulbs, fixing window buttons etc, then take the car to a reliable third-party workshop.

3) Post warranty, never even go near TASS for any issues.

4) Accept that the car will have one or more minor niggles all the time. You can't drive a TATA car with all of its features mentioned in the manual in working condition all the time (unless you spend considerable time in visiting TASS and do follow ups). Most often it is the electrical components that give up frequently. In my case it was the Window switches and bulbs. Over 11 years I might have replaced the window winding assembly at least 15 times.

5) You need to keep your emotions away when dealing with a TATA car. It won't strand you on the way, but will embarrass you as and when the car feels so. Sometimes by A/C not working, or the window not rolling up or Speedometer doing disco dance. My wife used to joke that the car has a mind of its own. Honestly that TATA car made me a more patient person in life. I learned to accept that not all things in life will be according to plans. I even leant to drive in rain with windows rolled down (because it won't go up).

6) Do not leave the car in TASS overnight for any fixes. Your car will most likely becomes the parts bin for other cars.

7) When in TASS wear an earplug. The most common used tool in TASS is a Hammer. The size and force varies depending on the seniority of the technician. It is the only tool they need for diagnosis, fixing, breaking etc. If your car is lifted up even for free service, you can see a technician hammering all the bolts and joints vigorously. Tools such as torque wrench are alien to them.

7) The negligence you see in TASS is expected because of under paid staff, poor training, lack of proper tools, fewer TASS compared to sales, and poor governance from TATA.

8) TATA as a group is NOT highly successful in the B2C segment barring 2 or 3 companies. They are successful in the B2B segment. This shows up in the organization culture as well.

I am not a TATA basher, but these were my experiences post owing a TATA car till 2021. Even with all these, I loved that car for its suspension, space, and engine and was kept in good condition till I sold it.
sreerknair is offline   (116) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 14:27   #22
BHPian

The case with the above Tata Safari and many more on the forum clearly states that just for the sake of safety and Indian brand Indian car sentiment Tata motors is taking its customers for a ride.

Moving on to the car in question, @revved_up I might sound a bit over the top with this advice, but I guess it's high time to get your car (read lemon) fixed (whatever is possible under warranty by ASC) and sell it off. Cut your losses before it's too late. In the process, you might lose a couple of lakhs, but that's something better than losing your peace of mind.

Reading this report and how your car was taken and treated at the service centre shows that Tata still works like an incompetent public organization. No wonder whenever in the past I have stepped inside a Tata showroom I got Post Office vibes.
AROO7 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 15:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Papa you made a mistake by buying this Tata car. We never had such issues with our Duster.[/b] This sums up the embarrassment i have had to go through in front of my family and friends!

To be continued........
I am sorry for your ordeal. No new car owner should have to go through this. Tata may have come a long way in terms of improving their products, but they are still a long way off to achieve quality control at the factory. And from what I have been hearing from friends and reading on the forums, the lesser said about their service - the better. This was the major reason I picked up a Hyundai hatch instead of a Tata Hatch. Plus the Nline is a hoot to drive. It was a distinguished team-bhpian who rightfully dissuaded me from even considering the Tata car. I am grateful to him.

Last edited by johy : 18th April 2022 at 15:07.
johy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 16:29   #24
BHPian

Brand new car having issues is embarrassing, TATA knowing the issue and not recalling the cars is another thing. The service centres are a mess (I am not just talking of TATA). I almost bought the Harrier if not for the lackluster experience at the dealer. The SA had absolutely no interest to sell the car. I finally bought Creta even though the wait time was high. At least the SA was more enthusiastic and pro active.
arvishnu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 16:47   #25
BHPian

Tata Sale or After Sales service is turning in to worst these days.

I owned Tata Safari Storm for 4 years and now own Tiago XZA. Both the vehicles were purchased from Concord in 2014 and 2018 respectively. Safari sales and service experience was good because at that time Pune SOL group managed to built good relationship with Pandit Auto hence we got very premium service, for one service even I got loaner car.

Now for Tiago I struggled a lot with concord. There is some vibration noise from dashboard center part however till date it is not fixed. In first service they managed to put multiple starches on dashboard and nice cut on driver seat fabric while removing and re-fixing that part however sound it still there.

Finally I found a nice ASC from reference hence still managing to keep this car running. However with the recent experience with Tata Sales I am recommending everyone not to go with Tata vehicles. Yes vehicles are well engineered etc. however the more important is service which is needed to keep the car running and that is missing or still attitude issue with Tata.

My Brother-in-law (BIL) was looking for a small AT car for wife and he liked our Tiago. He went ahead and booked the top end XZA+ at Devaki Motors Pune.

- SA mentioned that there is waiting for 6 month however as the dealership is new we will manage to get it ASAP. While booking he mentioned that he will provide the best offer at the time of delivery and there is no point in discussion it right now.

- After a long wait he called one day and asked my BIL to pay the remaining amount as car is in transit. We told him that we will see the car first at your stock yard and then only we will pay. Obviously he was not happy with this and tried all possibilities push the customer.

- One fine afternoon he called my BIL and said come the see the car. He did not mentioned the location. With all the enthusiasm our whole family went to see the car at showroom as everyone was waiting for long (Basically Kids were excited).

- We waited for some 30 mins at showroom and not one asked why we are here. Then SA came with new quotation in his hand. He told that he somehow managed to provide the discount to match the old price of the car however the promise was when we booked the car Tata have policy to block the price for customer.

- After looking at quotation I asked him to remove the accessories, FAST Tag and Insurance component. We will buy insurance from outside, will purchase only mud flaps and mattings and FAST Tag will be from Salary account bank (They were providing PayTM). He literally got furious at me and said this is not right and you can't do it. I asked him if there is any written policy from company about it but no satisfactory answer. He said talk to my senior and left the table.

- Our whole family was clueless and disappointed. We were feeling like we are asking for a free or lucky draw car. He sent one newly joined junior to take a heat from us. That fellow was just listening to us and had no clue about what next.

- After sometime this junior fellow asked us to follow him to stock yard which was some 7/8 kms away. We went to stock yard with whole family. He pointed us to a car and said that your car. We asked him to open it to which he said that its not possible as there is no key with him. Again some arguments and phone calls and the key came from a watchman's cabin.

- We saw the car in and out and went back to showroom. That SA guy was refusing to come in front of us and told to wait until his senior come in showroom.

- We left the showroom with huge disappointment and in mood to cancel the booking however my BIL had already sold his car and using parents car so no option of cancelling.

- I called Tata Customer care however no luck. Tried to raise the voice using tweeter and received reply to share the contact details however got call from them after 4 days.

- Finally we got call from senior SA and he agreed to match the insurance quote to our outside quote. Remove the accessories and FAST Tag component and deliver the car after RTO registration.

My humble stake on this is if customer is paying his hard earned money for a car then what stopping these people to treat him like king for a day or few hours?

It just takes some nice convincing words and respect to make customer happy right? Unfortunately this is lacking in Tata showrooms and service station. God help them to survive in this competitive market.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 16:51   #26
BHPian

Update:

Just got off the phone with Autovikas and Tata Care Manager. They have confirmed the silverbox has been replaced and all seems fine for now! They have also done the wheel alignment and steering adjustment to correct the left pull.

However, they want to keep the car overnight and do a final road test tomorrow morning before they deliver the car. I have agreed for the same.

Rest, i will get to know once i get the car tomorrow.
revved_up is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 17:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

As promised the Autovikas team came home at 11 am. They were carrying the laptop with them. The first thing the technician did was disconnect the battery and connect it again. This made the constant beeping sound go away for now. But the technician said it will return since there are errors in the system due to malfunctioning silverbox.

He connected the laptop to check and as expected the infotainment system wasnt even responding.

At the same time, I got a call from AutoVikas and she had Tata customer care spoc for NCR with her. He assured that he had made all arrangements and also involved the vendor - Visteon and all parts will be delivered by 12:30 day. He requested me to let the technicians take the car and he will update me by 4pm.

So for now, they have taken the car away and i also highlighted the left pull issue. He assured me he will get the attended as well.

Stay tuned......
Autovikas guys are very competent and they would definitely resolve the issue asap. These Autovikas has several dealership in NCR, have faith on them. I am also owner of tata safari 2021 which i got from Autovikas faridabad, they will sort out the things. Regarding people saying tata dealership is incompetent, they are levelling up now. They do care about their customers and myself experienced it. .
My silver box was hung when i got the ira was showing old info, so once they reseted it and since four months not a single issue faced with IRA.
Safari_Beast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 18:01   #28
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your experience. While Tata motors has transformed a lot in past couple of years, their dealer and service network haven't. Like MSIL created Nexa, Tata Motors too should revamp their network for their premium cars and have the support structure too re-built.

Wishing your car will be back in your hands with all issues resolved. Thanks for sharing your experience.
enj0y_ride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 19:36   #29
BHPian

Sorry to hear your ordeal revved_up. I can imagine the pain one goes through after spending such a hefty amount and facing issues with brand new car.

We bought Tata Indica (I know I’m talking ages back but this is just personal ordeal) the year it launched and trust me we only owned it for 3 months. My dad faced some financial loss but given the issues that car had, financial loss was less compared to Mental peace. This might sound hard, but that's just our personal experience and nothing against current + future tata product owners. They have some mind-blowing products, but i think I'm not ready to buy one.

I'll planning my next car around year end and trust me i know if i bring up the topic of Tata car, I'll hear the same music again.

Hope 'silverbox' replacement solves all your issues and you enjoy your new car to minimum 500k miles. Hope all my worries are wrong.

Please have this thread updated and i wish you all luck.
woodstock3001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 19:46   #30

Quote:
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Tata Safari Dark Edition XZA+ and took delivery in the end of Feb 2022!
Bringing a new car home is one of the best feelings in life. It must feel terrible thinking that your hard earned money has been unfortunately put into a defective product.

The car is amazing in all fronts. Well designed. Well equipped. Built like a tank. However reliability and the quality of after-sales services has always been the Achilles's heel of TATA. Which is exactly what refrained me from going for the Safari as our next upgrade. Our Duster as well has never let us down in the past 7 years. Barring the underpowered engine, she is a gem of a car.

I hope all the niggles on your Safari are just small glitches . Hopefully everything will be sorted out and she will give you thousands of memorable miles.

On another note, how do you find the ride quality of the Safari, as compared to the Duster?

Mod Note - Please quote only relevant portion, Thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th April 2022 at 20:23.
drgeorgeroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed