Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2022, 08:59   #61
BHPian

Re: Multiple issues on brand-new Tata Safari Dark Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
, and that pairing was done just to test the new part.
That's what i hope too, fingers crossed!
Old 20th April 2022, 10:17   #62
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@revved_up - I feel your pain, particularly after paying huge big ones it is expected that the car should be majorly issue less. Minor niggles are okay, we Indians are used to them.

I grew up appreciating quality of Tata trucks and generally the culture of the company as I heard stories from my uncle, who used to work in the earlier TELCO factory near Pune. From his account here is an incident -

"As a major project had commenced Ratan Tata himself used to visit the manufacturing area daily and monitor the work for sometime. On first day he saw the remaining chai on the bottom of the glass staining the table, he took out his handkerchief and cleaned it himself. This was a huge motivator to the workers, never one day after that incident did he see any chai stains on the table or anywhere."

I personally went through lots of efforts to get an apprenticeship at TELCO. It was considered so prestigious.

I wish TATA put their game together. They have proved very competent in getting good ratings on build quality and crash tests.

Request you to isolate issues, pursue resolution and be positive.

Cheers!
RunGaDa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 16:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
That's what i hope too, fingers crossed!
Harrier has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty option for around Rs 30,000, I am not sure if it's available for Safari. This can be transferred to the new owner if the car is sold within the warranty period.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf booklet.pdf (11.17 MB, 281 views)

Last edited by damodar : 20th April 2022 at 16:21.
Old 20th April 2022, 16:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Harrier has this 5 year unlimited mileage warranty option for around Rs 30,000, I am not sure if it's available for Safari. This can be transferred to the new owner if the car is sold within the warranty period.
I already have 5 year warranty. But that does not mean the car should breakdown so often
revved_up is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 16:20   #65
BHPian

Hi,
Sorry for all the troubles that you had to go through. I'm also a safari owner and had to go through many hurdles initially. Once I got the hang of how the TATA system works, life has been easier for me. I have mentioned in many posts in the review section and I'm just repeating it for you to implement.
Find the TATA motors office number for your state and talk to him directly. It's usually a GM for service/sales/customer support. Similarly find the number of the GM TASS for service. TATA mechanics and ones in the lower rung of hierarchy have the sense of abject irresponsibility imbibed in their genes. There is no point wasting your time with them and trying to work your way up. You might find it surprising but TATA is putting a lot of pressure on the top level staff to improve their image as a customer centric car manufacturing company. It's easier to put pressure on 5 GMs than the 500 persons who report to these GMs. Once you have them on call, things will be more transparent and you'll be more confident. I have finished around 24500 kms on my Safari and now I can safely say that the value that it brings to the table as a 7 seater can be matched only by XUV 700 and that too doesn't look like a proper SUV. Given the gizmos in XUV, I wouldn't take the risk of unreliability or breakdowns. Hope you get your problems sorted out and enjoy your ride.
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 09:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

If I need prompt service in future, I will only have to be demanding and pull all the strings I have access to. I think I will have to live with this way of getting service for now.

Mod Note - Please proofread before posting.
Great to hear your issue has been resolved, now you don't have to pull the strings as dealership is now aware about you. Hope you got my point.
Enjoy the new safari, hope you have niggle free experience now.
Old 21st April 2022, 11:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

I took delivery of a Harrier XZ+ Dark Edition on March 18th and got the 1st service done on April 16th, at around 1800 km.

On the 19th, while taking the car out, I noticed the Malfunction light (MIL) is on, and took the car to TASS on the 20th to get it fixed. After connecting the laptop and doing the reading, they told me that they can see 3 codes in the memory, and it is a known problem and nothing to worry about. They said the codes are related to emission and might have been caused because of soot and once cleared, everything should be fine. They cleared the codes and we took a TD and everything was looking fine, so I took the car back.

Came home, parked the car, and took the car out in the evening and after driving for around half a km, suddenly both my displays went blank. This thread was fresh in my mind and I was sure that my silver box is also gone

Called the TASS and showed them the car today and they confirmed that it is indeed the silver box and they will place the complaint today and I will get the new part in around 4 days.

Now, impatiently waiting for the part to arrive

While at the workshop, they told me that they have a Nexon with the same complaint, and they raised the complain on Monday and today the Harman engineer is coming to replace the part.

So, it seems like a known issue across Tata models and I hope Tata will focus on QC more - it is certainly not a good feeling when your brand new car is visiting the workshop every other day with some or other complaint.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 08:24   #68
BHPian

Tata has long way to go for cars which exudes quality. Given the initial ownership reports, it’s painful to see that major functions go blank requiring replacement of parts.
Based on my interactions with Tata executives, truck mentality and treating passenger car customers and enthusiasts as truck drivers is core cultural problem.
If you love long drives, then you are not customer but driver for them.
If you are getting into Tata cars, account for this behaviour and quality issues.
Old 22nd April 2022, 09:02   #69
BHPian

Update after 2 days of driving:

The infotainment cluster along with instrument cluster crashed twice in my 50kms drive. Fortunately both the screens came back up in 5 odd seconds.
Have informed this to Tata, they are still clueless and asked me whether I made a video of this.

I told them all this happens very randomly and while driving and most importantly within 5 seconds, how can I make a video?

They see a little confused, but from what I know many Safari harrier owners have this issue.
I am travelling out of Delhi and they have told they will connect with me on Saturday.

Let’s see…..
revved_up is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 14:56   #70
BHPian

I have been through the various emails. Couple of things that stick out are:
1. The Tiago to Nexon models seem to be better quality and give fewer problems.
2. Most problems are related to the additional electronic connectivity and parts which provide the diagnostic functions, display unit and it's associated functions.
3. Most of these are in Safari & Harrier. Visteon seems to be a problem supplier with many problems related to their equipment malfunctioning. Maybe poor vendor selection might be causing this problem or too much cost pinching.
4. It would appear that the service centres have no clue how to repair items faulty in 2 above. Equally neither does TaMo so eventually the vendor has to resolve the problems. This results in delays especially in diagnostics and then access to spare parts.

Coincidentally I have a Tiago and an Honda Accord. The Tiago is almost 7 years old with 36000 km on the ODO. I have had only two problems - one was in the throttle body during warranty and the other is with poor quality of pressure switch which actuates the reversing sensors and display. Apart from the entertainment system which is supplied by Harman the rest of the equipment is not very complex. Certainly this car is one of TaMo's success stories.

Pity that the larger models like Harrier and Safari which would probably bring in the profit are getting a bad reputation.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update after 2 days of driving:

The infotainment cluster along with instrument cluster crashed twice in my 50kms drive. Fortunately both the screens came back up in 5 odd seconds.
What is running on the infotainment unit while this is happening?
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:28   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What is running on the infotainment unit while this is happening?
Android auto with google maps and songs on Spotify.
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Android auto with google maps and songs on Spotify.
In your next trip just let it play songs over bluetooth \ android auto and not use the maps, lets see what happens. In my observation its the Navigation that taxes this system and after some time the location starts to lag behind , especially in large junctions with multiple exits it can get confusing.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 09:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In your next trip just let it play songs over bluetooth \ android auto and not use the maps, lets see what happens. In my observation its the Navigation that taxes this system and after some time the location starts to lag behind , especially in large junctions with multiple exits it can get confusing.
I will try, but it is so random that sometimes it wont happen for days and sometimes twice a day. I somehow am inclined to also believe that it happens in extreme heat since most of the times this reboot happened was when it was middle of the afternoon(I might be wrong here).

Also the total crash that happened in Rajasthan was in the middle of the afternoon on a hot day.
Old 26th April 2022, 13:55   #75
Senior - BHPian

Seems like my wait for a new silver box is going to extend. I called up the SA yesterday to see if there is any update on the availability of the silver box and to my disappointment, he said that they don't have any update and n ETA is given to them, citing that the product is not in stock.

This was a shock to me. While I understand certain components stopped working and were ok to ignore it as an 'electronics issue', this lack of commitment to get the replacement and no clear timelines are clearly not what I expected from them.

I communicated my displeasure and asked for a resolution for the issue to the regional customer care manager of Tata and I got a prompt reply, with some nicely worded sentences but without giving me any concrete info about when can I expect the product to arrive at the service center.

Dear Tata, if you are reading this, please note that, while issues may happen, it is how you help us customers to resolve them matters more. If you are apathetic and simply wash off your hands by saying, no ETA, do you seriously think we should invest our hard-earned money in your products?

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed