Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 20:16   #1
BHPian

Multiple issues on brand-new Tata Safari Dark Edition

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Tata Safari Dark Edition XZA+ and took delivery in the end of Feb 2022!

I have been getting embarrassed for choosing this car from day 1(Literally). So here is how it went till now:

Date - 23 feb 2022 - Delivery Day

As expected, my complete family was very excited and reached the dealership on the requested time to take delivery of our new car! After some paperwork which took hardly 30 mins, i was told that the car is ready for delivery and i will be given demo of the case for the SA.
We sit in the car and during the demo, the infotainment screen restarts on its own! I was told this happens sometimes and if i face any issue i can just hold the volume and scroll button down and system itself reboots and self-heals.
During the demo it happened again! Now, the SA called the technical person to check. He promptly said, lets disconnect the car battery. They removed and refitted the battery and now both engine check light and immobilizer light came on. Now, i was told not to worry, just drive the car for some time and these lights will go away.
I was trying to be patient and told them, i am not driving. If you think this will go away with driving, go drive. He did a short test drive and the light did not go away.

They now took the car to their service station to get the car checked. All this while my entire family was waiting at the showroom.
They came back after almost one hour and said the errors are gone and they have updated the software as well. However, there is still an issue! The sensor for air purifier is malfunctioning and doesn't display the AQI. The sensor was not in stock, so it cant be repaired right now!

At this time, i got a reality check! This was the first time a brand new car had malfunctioned on the delivery day for me! I was obviously pissed off, but decided to not spoil the day further and took delivery of the car on the assurance from dealer that the required part will be replaced at my doorstep the next day.

24 Feb 2022 to 2 April 2022
The airpurifier sensor was replaced and all became well.
During these days i drove the car about 2000 Kms and on multiple occasions infotainment system and the lcd in the instrument cluster used to randomly restart on its own and come back up. I did not make any issue about this and sort of mentally prepared myself to live with it, hoping in the next software update this will be resolved.

3 April 2022 - First Free Service
It was time for first service and i booked my appointment at Autovikas Moti Nagar - Delhi for the first slot knowing Sundays are usually busy days.
I reached the service Center at 9:10 am full 20 mins. Before the schedule time of opening.
Since mine was the first service, I was under the impression that it should at max take a couple of hours. However at the time of opening the job card, I was told my car will be delivered latest by 2 pm. I was surprised but anyways I had no option. Little did I know that the ordeal had just begun. So below are the issues I faced:

• Even though there was a rush, Several cars were given out of turn priority and atleast 4-5 cars were inserted and given a wash before my car. These cars were probably belonging to people who knew some employee there. I saw several customers raise this with the staff but they were casually told they can't do much since there is a lot of load today.
• While my car was being washed, they didn't even bother to wash the underbody by taking the car up on the hydraulic lift. They were not doing this for any car. When I asked the staff why were they not washing the underbody they said ok they will do now and obliged.
• After my car was given a wash, again several cars were made to jump the queue causing my car to stand unattended in the sun with dried water marks all over the body.
• Finally when the car was taken to the final bay, I got to know none of the prescribed work had yet been done - like DEF top up, attend the horn issue I reported etc. i had to again hunt for the service advisor and request him to get the car attended.
• It was 1 pm now and it was lunch time. I again requested the service advisor to get my car attended on priority and ensure my car is delivered by the promised time of 2pm.
• It was 2 pm now and car was still standing unattended and several technicians who were working on my car were randomly pulled to work other more important cars while my car standing unattended.
• Service advisor pulled the guys and they started getting the car ready. In the meantime he got billing done for me.
• Now I was taken to the main gate and I was shocked to see the car was dirtier than I bought it in the morning. I asked service advisor for the complaint book since I had given up now. He took me to another gentleman who Apparently was the customer care manager and told him that the staff has done a very bad job and even after several reminders they didn't listen to him too. Both of them started shouting at the cleaning staff now and they spent next 10-15 mins again trying to clean the car.
By this time it was 3pm and I had mentally given up and decided to take the car back and decided I will get it washed again outside and left.

After this, i sent a formal complaint to tata customer care to share the feedback. The service manager from dealer called me back the next day and offered to get the car cleaned, which i refused since i already got it cleaned.

Date 16 April 2022

I was on a trip to Rajasthan with my family over the long weekend.
In the afternoon we decided to step out for lunch. I started the car and within 30 seconds, both the infotainment screen and instrument cluster went blank. At first, i thought it was the regular reboot that happens, but the screens never came up! I stopped the engine and powered on a couple of times hoping the screens would come back up, but they did not!

Here is the video showing the issue:

So, i decided to move on to the lunch destination which was only a few kms away. Now, there was a tata service station nearby so i called them up, they asked me to bring the car in to check.
While, my family was waiting for lunch to come, i decided to visit the service station.
I was attended promptly and the first thing they did was disconnect the battery, but unfortunately that did not resolve this. next, they checked all the fuses behind the glovebox and found them to be alright too!
Now they checked with someone at Tata and were told that this is most probably the "silverbox" which is basically the controller which controls both the displays.
They obviously dont have it in stock and advised me since the car is running fine otherwise, i should drive back to Delhi and get it changed there. I had no option, so decided to do the same.

Date 17 April 2022

Today was my journey back to Delhi. In the morning itself i emailed Tata customer care and Autovikas service manager about the new issue in the car. I got a call from Autovikas service manager and she said they already have 5-6 cars which are waiting for this part to come! So apparently, this was a known issue!
She told me she will get the part ordered but she doesnt know by when it will come. Again, I had no option, so i had little choice.

Now, i started the journey back to Delhi which was roughly - 250 kms. The screens werent working so i did not have the below functionalities available to me:
- Reverse camera and parking sensors
- AC temperature control
-Fuel level
- RPM
-Engine temperature
- Trip meter and odometer
- Almost all warning lights like - door ajar, engine check light etc.

To me this was a risk to drive the car all the way back in such a condition, but again i had no option and since the service center had assured me that i can drive on, i went ahead.

About 2 kms left in the journey and i was about to reach home - now suddenly the car started beeping. This beep was similar to the seatbelt reminder beep. But all of us were wearing seatbelts. Here is the video of the same:

Now, i was guessing why this beep! Possible reasons could be low fuel, so i filled up on the petrol pump, but still beep didn't go away! Since i was almost home, i decided to go ahead and parked the car. I checked the Tata iRA app and ran the diagnostics - it showed car status as ok!

I now called the Tata breakdown toll free number. The guy on the phone told me since the car is running I should drive it myself to the service station.
I refused to do so and told him, i am not driving the car with such loud non-stop beeps. He said if i refuse to drive he will have to get the car towed. but if i chose to get the car towed there will be damages and scratches on the car since that is normal while towing!. I was shocked to hear this and told him, i am not going to accept any damages on my car!
He said, he will check what he can do and call back, but never did!

I called up the service manager at Autovikas again and by this time it was already 5:30 and she assured me she will get someone to come to my place tomorrow morning with the diagnostic laptop to get the car checked.

Again, i have no option but to wait!

So, this is the story till now! I have a car which i cant drive anymore and have to still figure out how do i make arrangements for my work related travel tomorrow!

After buying the flagship car from Tata, i am really disappointed with this car! A car that costs 26 big ones shouldnt break down this often!

Even my 8 year old girl told me, Papa you made a mistake by buying this Tata car. We never had such issues with our Duster. This sums up the embarrassment i have had to go through in front of my family and friends!

To be continued........

Last edited by revved_up : 17th April 2022 at 20:19.
revved_up is offline   (233) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 23:45   #2
BHPian

re: Multiple issues on brand-new Tata Safari Dark Edition

I'm sorry to hear about the ordeal you have had to go through. A very painful read. One of the reasons I would never touch a Tata car. Making safe car is all great, but reliability is equally important and that's something these guys at Tata just don't get it!

I hope the issues are sorted and you can enjoy your new car without any further headaches.
Col Mehta is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 00:10   #3
BHPian

re: Multiple issues on brand-new Tata Safari Dark Edition

I’m so sorry to hear this. Even I am very much interested in upgrading from my 5 year old Duster to a harrier. But, to be honest have been hearing too many cases of engine check light and issues like yours. More than issues , the worrying part is the service centre experience which almost always seems to carry the same message.

Renault service isn’t great to be honest but Duster (at least the 85ps one ) is a pretty reliable workhorse and touchwood the experience has been peaceful for me till now .

May be I will just hold on to the Duster longer and just get an Innova/Toyota when it is time. There is nothing like peace of mind!

I really hope you get your issues resolved soon !
vamsi2390 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:07   #4
BHPian

Re: Multiple issues on brand-new Tata Safari Dark Edition

Update: I sent an email to Tata customer Care last evening and got a revert at 2330.
They have assured me someone will be connecting with me today to attend this.

The service center already informed me yesterday that they will be sending someone to check the car at my.

Meanwhile, I am literally handicap now without a car!

I have also requested for a loaner car and also asked for escalation matrix with contact details of Tata regional and national leadership team.
I will make sure this is not considered as a regular repair job anymore! They need to compensate me for the agony this car has made me go through.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by revved_up : 18th April 2022 at 09:32.
revved_up is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Sorry revved_up for your ordeal. These guys are disgraceful to say the least. You have bought the most expensive model in its special edition avatar from TATA, yet they treat you this way. It is as if they don't care.

It is okay if they don't give you preferential treatment just because you bought the best they have on offer but not doing QC before delivery, not following basic rule of 'first come, first serve' while providing scheduled free service is plain wrong. Faulty infotainment again was just unprofessional.

To be honest I think not just TATA or Mahindra or Hyundai, the real problem here is that these guys are in demand. They are sitting on massive piles of cash like Uncle Scrooge. They are swimming in it. This situation will become the norm soon. And a day will come when BHPians like you and me will title our threads as "Rant" to vent out our frustration and move on.

Anyways sir, let me quote Tyler Durden from Fight Club to ease your suffering -"The things that you own, end up owning you." Follow due procedure, write harsh e-mails and relax. It is what it is.
Excommunicado is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post

I will make sure this is not considered as a regular repair job anymore! They need to compensate me for the agony this car has made me go through.
New car, having troubles in the first few months of ownership is very emotional and shouldn't have happened. Especially such electrical issues. This is like a handicap, where you have a mechanically good car that can be driven but unable to use because of a faulty sensor or a wiring issue in a non critical part.

The best way to get out is to have the service guys in your corner. 8 out of 10 times i've had results by befriending these guys during such times.

Hope you get the issues rectified soon and wishing you a trouble free ownership.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:45   #7
BHPian

Sorry to hear your ordeal however the good thing is since your troubles are very much focussed on 1 part of car so it is not lemon but a flaw that should be repaired soon hopefully.
Just that the collateral impact of the faulty part is too much which is adding to agony of the experience and further we never expect all this going wrong in a new car.
So what I can foresee is just wait for this part replacement and hopefully you start loving your Safari in long run.
If problem is yet not solved talk to Sagar Motors service in Sahibabad and they are a great bunch there
steadfast is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Bunch of incompetent people these service center chaps seem to be. For all issues how can a disconnect and reconnect battery be the solution? Even when you disconnect the battery, there are capacitors inside electronic boards which hold a charge. One must keep the battery disconnected atleast for 10 mins for all electrical power to be fully discharged. One can't expect a premium customer who pays north of 25 lakhs to drive with a blank info screen and no ac controls! Tata always designs good cars but the manufacturing process is shoddy and thr aftersales process is like a goverment one. Best to keep away from this brand.
apachelongbow is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Tata Safari Dark Edition XZA+ and took delivery in the end of Feb 2022
This sums up the embarrassment i have had to go through in front of my family and friends!

To be continued........
This is very pathetic, a brand new car facing issues right from day one is horrible, not to mention it’s accompanied by great service center (definitely need more Vikas in them)
I think escalating this issue directly with TML will give you early solution.
Safari is their flagship car and should be given special attention during after sales service, such issues will destroy faith in the existing as well as prospective customers.
TML should take strict action against such incompetent dealers and service center.
gjnnbagal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 10:15   #10
BHPian

Getting a trouble free car from Tata is like winning lottery.

From my personal experience technicians at the work shop have good skill but are handicapped by proper tools and facilities. I have seen Juggad kind of arrangement for filling up oil in gear box. Why Tata is not giving them proper special tools to make their life easier?

Also, OP exactly mentioned the chaos at the car washing area of the service center that I experience very time I go there.
IP_Man is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 10:21   #11
BHPian

I am very sorry to hear about your ordeal revved_up. This is exactly the same reason which keeps me away from investing so much in a TATA car, as a matter of fact there has been a rush of electronically controlled features in last 3 to 4 years and there is no guarantee that these service centers would be able to resolve them without a hitch. The ownership experience of a product is good only when you get timely support and service for it, the experience you had in the TATA service Center makes it all the way bitter and that to for a flagship product.
amiya.c is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 10:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is poor stuff by TATA. I guess, knowing someone in the showroom is almost like 'chacha vidhayak hain hamare' types now. I was given the same advice before buying my XUV3OO. While I did not face any issues with my car till now, I totally understand your ordeal. Feels terrible when our kids look unhappy with our purchase. My kids love my car and they just jump into it whenever we plan a ride. I can imagine the feeling a dad goes through when his kids don't like their new car. But, don't feel depressed, all problems have solutions. Your car will be taken car of now since you have escalated the matter. Please keep us posted.
Raghu M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 10:57   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I think his advice always comes in handy...
Attached Thumbnails
Multiple issues on brand-new Tata Safari Dark Edition-20220418_105456.jpg  

LaRoca is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@revved_up - While due to the uncourteous behavior of Tata ASC you may feel that the problems with this car is their fault - but it isn't. From Day 1 I could gather that this vehicle is going to give its owner a lot of heartburn and it ended up exactly like it to the point one would wonder if the car would make the trip.

You will find more problems as the days or months pass by and you`ll need to work with ASC guys to fix them. Be patient & work with the ASC.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:57   #15
BHPian

Tata has not been able to scale up its service with its sales. Period

The washing scene is deja vu. I've almost always got the harrier back dirtier then what I drove in with.

Also the apprehension that the service isn't being performed in a diligent way due to the load.

Hope they pull up their socks fast.
Bluengel180 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed