Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 23:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rlather, Tsk, KP, Abhi, Rishi & Manik for your inputs!

Yes, tried for a DIY, but unable to reach the fender from inside, so I guess I will get it Dry Dented at a Workshop.

B'lore BHPians: Pls suggest a decent Workshop for such Denting works, who do a good job at a reasonable price?
Old 13th June 2007, 23:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

What about your own friendly neighborhood fella ? dont you have one or you service only in the authorised service centres ? in that case, find a good tinker that would do the job. I had a similar brush on the right wing in my car & my good friend(not a tinker) tinkered it back to shape, but still it lacks the fit & finish of the original. this kind of work is only a stop gap arrangement.
cheers
Old 14th June 2007, 01:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
just found this one on net, dont know if it works.

IndianPad / Remove Car Dent With Airduster
bah! ***... you think it is for real? hee hee heeeee... it is even listed under funny videos. But then how was that video taken? I wonder! Btw, what is an air-duster? It looked something like those VCR head cleaners that used to come in a bygone era.

P.S. Did you see the atrocious english and loads of typos in those screens?
Old 14th June 2007, 10:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
bah! ***... you think it is for real? hee hee
I have seen simmilar thing with dry ice (which is co2 in ice form). DOnt know where you can get any thing like this from.

What is dry denting. I have a dent on my fusion (a bike just thought of falling on me while parked). Tried pulling it out with the hand held vaccum thing they have at the service station. But its still visible. Thye say i need to pull it out with some machine but that would require a repainting.....!!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions??
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Just found this somewhere on the net.
============

Imagine this, you throw a rock into a puddle and you see the shock waves ripple from the center of the impact, out, right? well, metal does the same thing, except that 'shock wave' stays, and thats what keeps big dents, a dent.

basically, when the metal is impacted the shcock/stress has to go somewhere. think of an old oil can. by squeeing or pushing the bottom of the can, oil squirts out. even though you hear it 'popping', the can always holds its shape. what you are pushing on is that 'shock wave'.

by rapidly changing the temperature, as these methods are doing, the 'shock wave' is what you are treating, not the dent.

HEAT - applying heat expands the metal and loosens a little bit of 'stress' from the dent.
COLD- by quickly applying extreme cold will cause rapid contraction of the metal. a 'reverse ripple' effect from the stone throwing analogy above.
you are basically making the dent bigger and softer when you heat it up. then when you freeze it, you are shrinking it rapidly, causing the dent to buldge, and 'pop' out.

while hoping that you didnt ruin the factory finish...

the dry ice and compressed air work on shallow large dents. not sharp dents or dents on body lines or the hail stone dents all over the top of your vehicles. and when you do hear that lovely 'POP' sound, the dent only looks better, its not 100% flat. but if you have an 85 tercel, better is probly good enough.
Old 30th October 2010, 16:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

Bad, bad dimple!

MODS : My bad I didn't know where to post this thread; please put it under the correct category.

There's this small l'ill dimple which would look good had it not been on my car. I dunno how and where it happened but I need to get it removed. Any suggestions on who could do the job best (and cheapest) in Bangalore?

The dimple is the panel above the right front tyre.

Pic attached.

PS : paint has not been affected at all..
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove minor dents?-dsc06864.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th October 2010 at 16:55.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Use some dry ice, it is known to absorb dings. Which car is this? Corsa? If corsa, it may be difficult as corsa has pretty thick sheetmetal.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:44   #23
BHPian

I had a similar dent on the fender on my Indica.

Based on a suggestion on the net, I tried pulling the dented portion with a strong Vacuum hook (the kind used to hang things on glass surfaces) and the dent corrected itself with a pop.

I was kind of surprised since I did not expect this to work.

But maybe the metal is not very thick there because the dent reappeared after a few days!

Anyway, no harm in trying, right!
Old 30th October 2010, 17:58   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
I had a similar dent on the fender on my Indica.

Based on a suggestion on the net, I tried pulling the dented portion with a strong Vacuum hook (the kind used to hang things on glass surfaces) and the dent corrected itself with a pop.

I was kind of surprised since I did not expect this to work.

But maybe the metal is not very thick there because the dent reappeared after a few days!

Anyway, no harm in trying, right!
how did the dent reappear?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Use some dry ice, it is known to absorb dings. Which car is this? Corsa? If corsa, it may be difficult as corsa has pretty thick sheetmetal.
yep, Corsa.. I doubt the metal at THAT place is that thick; else the dent wouldn't there! So, how exactly do I use the dry ice?
Old 16th August 2013, 16:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to remove minor dents?

Dear Mates, Good Evening, Today i feel gloomy and stressed as my dear Honda City was banged from behind (pic attached). The onus of this bad dent goes to motorbike person who tried to come in between the divider and my car. His front right shocker road hit the arch. Please suggest a good remedy today itself as its a sour sight for me.

Thanks

AD
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove minor dents?-panel-dent.jpg  

Old 16th August 2013, 18:18   #26
BHPian

Well - I had a dent similar to your Honda City on my Hyundai i10 at approximately the same place. My neighbourhood tinkerer (Classic Auto) said he would have to drill a hole under the fender and hammer it out. When I said "no way", he said he could fill it in instead from the surface. Anyway, since it was not too bad (not as deep as yours, but on the body line anyhow), I just put a big TBHP sticker across it (the one with black on top) . Now, unless you feel it, one cant see it.

Btw - my tinkerer said not to do anything with it because instead of ruining the original factory painting, he said the dent was not bad. Of course, as a TBHP guy, any dent would make me feel bad :-( .
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 18:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Dear Mates, Good Evening, Today i feel gloomy and stressed as my dear Honda City was banged from behind (pic attached). The onus of this bad dent goes to motorbike person who tried to come in between the divider and my car. His front right shocker road hit the arch. Please suggest a good remedy today itself as its a sour sight for me.

Thanks

AD
There are several 'dry denters' in Sector - 16 auto market (NOIDA) who do a fine job in taking out such dents (paintless dent removal). Pay a visit and ask around for a 'dry denter' in the market. I had the number of one such chap who was good at this but unfortunately he got a job in the UAE 2-3 months back (but there are many more in that market).
Puneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 19:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

@puneet, Good evening, thanks for your ernest advice. Buddy as you are aware that due to rains sector 16 market turns into a mess. I feel afraid to take my car inside. However shall check out someone whose shop is near to bus depot sector 16.

Pleasure

Akash
Old 16th August 2013, 19:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

For shallow 'push in' type of dents, maybe the heat gun/hair dryer + compressed air homebrew hack would work.
Examples are available on youtube.

Old 16th August 2013, 20:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Please suggest a good remedy today itself as its a sour sight for me.
Please check the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-rs-12-a.html

It might be difficult as the dent is on the arch, but still worth a try. Good luck!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th August 2013 at 21:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks