Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 08:38   #1

Tyres with integrated TPMS sensors

Hi Team-BHP,

@Mods I am not sure if this is the right sub-topic to post this on, if it isn't please feel free to move it/delete it.

I have a Nissan Magnite (Premium-CVT-Turbo), it comes with CEAT Secura Drive 195/60R16 89V.

I got a flat tyre as I rolled off the showroom, I found it thanks to the TPMS system. The SA promised a replacement tyre, its been over a month now (but that's another forum post I intend to make soon). They replaced it with a tire from a non-premium magnite (from a showroom car) and the TPMS system threw up a warning of "Check Tyre pressure sensor"

This is likely because non-premium version does not come with a TPMS sensor installed(?)

This has got me thinking that any tires that I buy in the future will likely need to have a TPMS sensor pre-installed.

I looked up on CEAT's website, but they don't seem to provide any information on whether CEAT Secura Drive 195/60R16 89V has a pre-installed TPMS sensor.

I was wondering with so many cars now coming with TPMS, how does the tire replacement work ? Do we need to get these sensors installed after market ?

Any advice / discussion, how to tackle this ?
devregister is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:54   #2
BHPian

re: Tyres with integrated TPMS sensors

As per my experience with an aftermarket model in my car, the sensor is in the valve.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 16:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devregister View Post

I got a flat tyre as I rolled off the showroom, I found it thanks to the TPMS system. The SA promised a replacement tyre, its been over a month now (but that's another forum post I intend to make soon). They replaced it with a tire from a non-premium magnite (from a showroom car) and the TPMS system threw up a warning of "Check Tyre pressure sensor"
They just had to take out the old sensor when they removed the tyre and fit it back when installing the new tyre. They may have forgotten.
anandpadhye is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 18:22   #4

AFAIK, TPMS sensors which do not attach to valves, are not in tires, but inside the wheels. May need to be reset.
Please check this:
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/lear...ow-tpms-works/

Last edited by anay3000 : 27th April 2022 at 18:39.
anay3000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 18:48   #5
BHPian

Typically the sensors are integrated with the valves even for high end cars. So I would suspect that Magnite also does the same. Either way, the tyre vendor who removed the old tyre should have told you about this.

There is a variant of tpms that uses the abs system to detect a loss of tyre pressure. However, I am not sure if the Magnite uses such a sensor. In this case, it may be related to the abs sensor too.

Perhaps other Magnite owners may be able to confirm. But I would say first talk to the tyre dealer and ensure the old sensor is secured. Thats the easiest path to follow first.

Last edited by deep_bang : 27th April 2022 at 18:58.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:45   #6

Re: Tyres with integrated TPMS sensors

Dear All,

Thank you for your replies so far.

Perhaps I must have not explained clearly,

1) When the wheel was swapped, I tried to reset the sensor from the dashboard menu, it didn't work. I still ended up with same error. This likely that non-premium wheels (and tyres) don't have the TPMS sensor attached.

2) The showroom ended up fixing the tyre puncture, and gave me back my old wheel (and that has worked). However, the SA and his superiors have agreed to get me a new wheel replacement, one with the TPMS sensor.

However, this is process of getting a wheel replacement is taking really long (more than a month now). However, thank you for the insight that the sensor is likely on the steel/alloy wheel (and not the tyre). I wonder if I can just get the rubber/ Tyre replaced from a new non-premium magnite on my (premium magnite) wheel.

So the puncture gets essentially repaired (new rubber), and no sensor swap/replacement wheel is required.

Tyres as such have gotten quite complex over the years. Is this something that might easy to accomplish?, is it safe thing to do?

Any insight, suggestions are welcome!
devregister is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:36   #7
BHPian

It's hard to say without knowing the exact type of sensors your car uses.
Also, sensors also need to be paired with the car. Usually, this is over bluetooth. So in would suggest to always give first preference to getting it fixed at the Authorised service center.

Also, you can see if our resident tyre expert @nikhilb2008 has anything to say. He might be able to give you better suggestions.

Last edited by deep_bang : 28th April 2022 at 13:38.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 14:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Tyres as such have gotten quite complex over the years. Is this something that might easy to accomplish?, is it safe thing to do?
Don't worry! Tyres haven't got that complex, not much in our segment cars. See, the sensors are usually of two types:

1) Which sense with the ABS System
2) Valves with integrated sensor

Out of these, I suspect your car has the former one as it activates with speed. Just go through your car's manual once. From a manual available online this is what I found.

Name:  Screenshot 20220428 at 14.16.39.png
Views: 777
Size:  86.5 KB

Tyres with integrated TPMS sensors-screenshot-20220428-14.18.24.png

Try resetting once.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:50   #9

A bit of an update,

Last week, I received a new wheel from the dealer. It required programming the new TPMS sensor which was performed by the service engineers. I coupled it with my first service. It was quite efficient.

I now am waiting for 3D mats (2 months now :P)
devregister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:45   #10

The Sensor usually will be attached to the valve system and is located inside of the alloy wheel. Nissan is known to have not very user friendly TPMS for resetting. Usually from the dashboard it can be done. For older Nissan models in USA, the TPMS resetting was a challenge even after repair of puncture to the same wheel and inflating the air with recommended pressure for that one has to go to the dealer and then they will reset it. I had found a way to do, under the steering wheel I located the wire which was used for TPMS, I took that wire and grounded it for about 30 seconds voilą and the TPMS was reset.
Old 11th January 2023, 00:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
A bit of an update,

Last week, I received a new wheel from the dealer. It required programming the new TPMS sensor which was performed by the service engineers. I coupled it with my first service. It was quite efficient.

I now am waiting for 3D mats (2 months now :P)
Hey, do you know if its possible to add a TPMS to the spare tyre too (provided I am willing to spend/upgrade)?
Old 11th January 2023, 09:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Hey, do you know if its possible to add a TPMS to the spare tyre too (provided I am willing to spend/upgrade)?
Yes, it should be possible to add a 3rd party TPMS sensor, something with bluetooth that connects with your phone. However, I am sure if the car display will show you 5 readouts.

From my conversations with the Tech (when my issue is being resolved), the car software is not very advanced.
devregister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 14:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it should be possible to add a 3rd party TPMS sensor, something with bluetooth that connects with your phone. However, I am sure if the car display will show you 5 readouts.

From my conversations with the Tech (when my issue is being resolved), the car software is not very advanced.
Thanks for your reply!

In other cars the 5th tyre only shows a readout when actually installed into the car (ie when the spare is in use) - that arrangement is fine by me.
The concern there (with using aftermarket fittings) is that that will keep the TPMS system in the car thinking that its broken and the warning lamps and messages would be permanent (and annoying). I was hoping that if I buy a fifth alloy wheel from the service center and replace the spare with it - and its TPMS can be registered to the Nissan unit - then that'd be really nice and clean.

That said the TPMS from Nissan doesn't have psi readouts so maybe i should just bite the bullet about warning messages and replace them with proper aftermarket units.

(I havent bought the Magnite yet - though I do have a booking and intend to buy but the sales folks dont seem to know any of these answers when I ask them and I dont have any contacts at the service center.)

Last edited by Transmission : 11th January 2023 at 14:48.
Transmission is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks