Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 17:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ultraseal tyre sealant - Does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

Very Important to have a wheel balancing job done BEFORE filling up this goo into the tyres.
Apologies for digging up an old thread. I had slimed my tyres, and after few weeks, one of the TPMS sensors failed.
When the TPMS was replaced , I had the tyres rebalanced on a Hunter machine.
Now, between 90-110 kmph I experience steering wheel vibration.
Obviously the second time balancing was not right, but what sort of equipment should one get the wheel balanced on when already slimed.
Old 29th January 2014, 18:19   #32
BHPian

I had used this product in one of my tyres as I wanted to check how good it was before filling the other 4 wheels. However, after rotating the wheels I forgot which tyre had the gel.
when I was getting my tyres changed after a year or so I noticed that one of the rims was very badly rusted from the inside. That's when it struck me that it was because of the gel that the rim had rusted. I wasn't told how long it would last.
I don't think I would invest in this again!
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 18:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, I would not advice anyone to use this thing in their tyres EVER.

How many times do you get a punture in a year maybe ? Once, Twice ? Okay at the most say 4 times, to save that you are going to put this expensive thing in the tyre which will lead to an unbalanced tyre till its present inside.

I cannot fathom, how can a tyre be balanced perfectly after this thing is inside. Its a mass which will keep on shifting as the tyre turns, rests in the night etc etc, even after you put this thing inside and get it balanced, the weight inside is going to keep shifting.

Not worth it IMO.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 20:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Now, between 90-110 kmph I experience steering wheel vibration.
Obviously the second time balancing was not right, but what sort of equipment should one get the wheel balanced on when already slimed.
Sorry, Joy, I really cannot say. I cannot see how a balancing job can be done with this stuff in the tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
.... after a year or so I noticed that one of the rims was very badly rusted from the inside. That's when it struck me that it was because of the gel that the rim had rusted. ...
It seems highly improbable that it was the wheel with Slime that had the rusting. Slime PREVENTS rusting. And you would have seen the Slime in the tyre in gel form still, since it has a life of at least two years.
Old 5th March 2015, 06:02   #35
BHPian

Does filling 'Tyre Slime' affect the car's performance?

I have a Skoda Yeti. As we are going on a long road trip, across India, felt it's better to fill the tubeless Goodyear tyres of Yeti with Slime. So we got Slime filled few days before we left Gurgaon on our trip towards Chennai.

But we notice that there are vibrations as we cross 120-130 kms/hour speed. Initially these vibrations used to be there even when we cross 70-80 kms/hour speed. Steering also appears to be a little tight.

Any suggestions or feedback on this?

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th March 2015 at 12:36.
Old 21st August 2015, 22:02   #36

Re: Does filling 'Tyre Slime' affect the car's performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
I have a Skoda Yeti. As we are going on a long road trip, across India, felt it's better to fill the tubeless Goodyear tyres of Yeti with Slime. So we got Slime filled few days before we left Gurgaon on our trip towards Chennai.

But we notice that there are vibrations as we cross 120-130 kms/hour speed. Initially these vibrations used to be there even when we cross 70-80 kms/hour speed. Steering also appears to be a little tight.

Any suggestions or feedback on this?
Hi Krishnan V G,

Any update on Slimed tyres on how they are performing. I am planning to have it done on Yokohama Tyres on my Jetta and needed help on where to get this done and the cost involved. Please advise.
Old 23rd August 2015, 17:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Vivant View Post
Hi Krishnan V G,

Any update on Slimed tyres on how they are performing. I am planning to have it done on Yokohama Tyres on my Jetta and needed help on where to get this done and the cost involved. Please advise.

Hi,
While the sealant definitely performed its role of protecting the vehicle from punctures, having the sealant did affect the driving ease. I could not drive the Yeti beyond 120 kms per hour speed as I felt strong vibrations on the steering. When I consulted Tyre Dealer in Bangalore and also a skoda dealer in Chennai, they were very much against use of tyre sealants as it affects the wheels. I also felt that the Slime dealer in Delhi did not handle the filling process correctly. I have since then changed the tyres to brand new tyres. Any which way, I had used the earlier set of tyres for about 40000 kms.
My experience based advice to you is "Don't do it".
Krishnan V G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 19:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody used 'Slime' tyre/tube sealant on his motorcycle with spoked wheels. I am thinking to use it on my Royal Enfield Himalayan with Tube type tyres and spoked rims. Any actual user feedback?

Thanks...
Old 7th August 2016, 21:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

These products are not recommended as such. Can cause wheel balancing to go out, can harden inside after some time and become noisy as the lump moves around while driving.
Maybe it can make sense if you are going for a long ride without chance of carrying a spare or puncture repair kit.
Luckily you have tubed tyres so it wont cost you much just to change the inner tube if you are unhappy
Old 13th November 2017, 21:45   #40
BHPian

Yesterday I went to order for 5 rims & 5 tyres for my car after my totally scuffed up tyres Bridgestone Turanza "H" had seen better days. Both my Stepney & front left tyre had punctured. I was left with no option but to put tube in one of my tyre just to go to maruti Suzuki sales and service, Mayapuri Delhi, for pre ordering rims & tyres. While the mechanic was putting tube he checked for any nails or screws, to my & his surprise there were 9 such pointed objects inside and the reason for the puncture was one big screw as air was leaking from it. So before he fitted tube he had to take out all sealent as it would damage new tube. This shows how good sealents are. Whenever I had puncture I just used to to pull out the object, bounced the tyre on surface 5-6 times and wait for 5-6 minutes and then fill it again. Since this time my tyre had gone too thin n the hole pierced by the object was too big to be replinished by sealent i had to fix a tube.
Sadly Bridgestone now no more produces such quality tyres(Having speed rating H), they discontinued the model. Anyhow This time I bought Michelin Energy XM2 tyre(Best in class) but since I forgot which sealent I had put earlier I am all but flabbergasted with myself. If anyone here knows which sealent I am talking about, pray reply.

Last edited by numerouno.no1 : 13th November 2017 at 21:47.
Old 13th November 2017, 22:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by numerouno.no1 View Post
If anyone here knows which sealent I am talking about, pray reply.
If was green it must have been Slime.
Old 13th November 2017, 22:30   #42
BHPian

Pics of the exhausted Tyres n Rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
If was green it must have been Slime.
How much should i put inside the tyres? Also, If you can share link for buying it online.
Attached Thumbnails
Ultraseal tyre sealant - Does it work?-img_20171113_222951.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 13th November 2017 at 23:14. Reason: Merged

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks