Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2022, 02:08   #151
BHPian

Re: As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?

Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol 2019. Recently serviced @29K. Battery died when my wife’s knee brushed against the headlamp rotary knob while getting out of the car, and the low beam bulbs remained on for the entire day. Called Ford RSA to jump start but now left with a low fuel warning on the MID even with 50% of the tank full. The auto folding mirrors stopped working along with the lock unlock sensors as well. Time to get the battery changed, first major issue observed so far.

Love the car though, took me across a lot lately.
sandx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 02:21   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

2014 Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT - (~96,500 kms)
- Horn pad on the steering has conked off at ~96,250 kms mark, horn works at some intervals.
- Gear-lever factory leather wrap has torn slightly at the top with use.
- Driver’s seat has worn out (not torn), don’t know whether to go with after-market covers.
- Small scratches here and there on the car, and a dent on the bootlid, right above the left taillight (happened in the 2nd or 3rd year of ownership itself and haven’t got it fixed it till now)

Mechanically the car is extremely sound, no issues whatsoever, any gear let the RPM needle climb past the 1800 mark where once the turbo spools, the car pins you back in the seat. What a fun-to-drive car it is!! On the 2nd set of tyres now. Clutch is still stock.

The itch to upgrade to either an Innova Crysta or Fortuner is extremely tempting, but they don’t make cars like these anymore (especially BS4 Diesels) and new car prices are skyrocketing to new levels!

Plan to give it a new lease of life by:-
- Painting the alloys gun-metal grey.
- Adding a touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility (although finding one which feels similar to the factory finish is tough)
- Get the car’s exterior thoroughly detailed
- Leather wrap the front centre armrest along with each door armrest.

2017 Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol AT - (~18,000 kms)
- Every few months the power window motors fail, atleast one motor is changed at every scheduled service.
- Brake pads will have to replaced in the next service.
- One or two scratches and that’s about it

2021 BMW X3 30i - (~3,000 kms)
- No issues till now, hasn’t run much, hence.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 18th May 2022 at 02:24.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 04:11   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What a fun thread!

2011 VW Vento AT Highline
- Left rear door does not open from the outside (we call it a "reverse child lock" ). VW ASS quoted 5K to replace some pin that will fix it. Politely told them no!
- Both front and rear metal strips (a distinguishing feature of the Highline vs other trims) are long gone!
- AC vertical vents are broken. They are notoriously brittle in the VW, have already changed a couple of sets. But the air flow is unobstructed so I have left it at is (again, around 5-6K to replace)
- The clasp that locks the driver's armrest broke a few years ago. You guessed it: 5K quote to get it fixed!
- Boot lamp doesn't work. Hardly use the car for long trips anymore so it doesn't really matter.

Lest you guys think I am some sort of cheapskate, I make sure the suspension, engine, gearbox, tyres etc. are in good condition through regular preventive maintenance.
With VWs being popular in China, Aliexpress would have been an easy option to source some these parts, such as the A/C vents and so on. Alas, that option has been taken away.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 07:50   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
2014 Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT - (~96,500 kms)
- Horn pad on the steering has conked off; horn works at some intervals.
Did you remove the driver airbag assembly/steering wheel for any job? The clockspring might have gone off its axis. Getting it back in its right position should solve your problem

Quote:
- Gear-lever factory leather wrap has torn slightly at the top
- Driver’s seat has worn out (not torn), don’t know whether to go with after-market covers.
Gear lever - please go with a walnut faux wood - leather gear knob that is available at Toyota as an accessory. It looks just like the 2013 Innova Z gear knob (pic below) but the faux wood would be lighter and the leather, light grey. If you don't get that, even the one in the pic would do.

As of today, what's broken / not working in your car?-innova2013z_gearknob.jpg

Seats - just get the chaffed portion replaced from a seat cover/ lining shop. They might charge you 2000 bucks or so. Else, just leave it. Please don't make the mistake of putting aftermarket seat covers.

Please use a leather conditioner from time to time on the seats else they'll start cracking

Answers in line
Quote:
Plan to give it a new lease of life by:-
- Painting the alloys gun-metal grey NO
- Adding a touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility (although finding one which feels similar to the factory finish is tough) YES; get a Double DIN with a dash panel kit.
- Leather wrap the front centre armrest along with each door armrest. NO. Leather will weather and it will spoil the stock look of the car

Last edited by vigsom : 18th May 2022 at 08:00. Reason: Added a pic
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 08:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
Mine will be one of the rarer posts with issues mentioned against a Toyota

I have a 2011 Liva, bought pre-owned in 2019. The current crop of issues are -

1. Sound from the steering rack during initial left/right turn. I went to an FNG recently to get new wiper blades, he told me that the steering rack needs to be replaced. Not sure if the issue is that bad, but quoted approximately 32k for the part.

If anybody wants a DL registered Liva in and around BLR as a beater/project car please hit me up
LOL, that is even higher then what I was quoted for a Vento's steering rack. It was 25k w/ labour.

Are Toyota parts really that costly?
pgoyal1996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 08:21   #156
BHPian

2013 VW Golf TDI 2.0 @ 88000 kms.

1. Automatic "Start-Stop" system is erratic. Often lets me down on traffic lights and the traffic behind starts honking frantically. I switch off the feature manually but the annoying thing is it has to be done everytime you get into the car.

2. Number plate lighting connection is throwing some error on the MID but I dont see any actual issues with its operation.

Waiting for the next service to get these cleared up.
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 08:58   #157
BHPian

2017 VW Polo 1.2 GT TSI

* What doesn't work (possible ABS sensor failure )

- ABS
- Traction control
- Hill hold
- ESP
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:00   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
LOL, that is even higher then what I was quoted for a Vento's steering rack. It was 25k w/ labour.

Are Toyota parts really that costly?
I don't think they should be, especially for the Etios brothers. I anyway don't intend to change it so have not checked out the actual cost.
chaksjr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:04   #159

I own a 2010 Cheverolet Cruze LTZ MT run about 72K kms. In these 12 years, nothing major has come up except for Air Conditioning work (evaporator change and gas refiling etc).

Couple of days ago, I noticed strange noise/increased clatter during idle which did not seem normal. Upon accelerating i.e. above 1000 RPM, the vibrations/unusual clatter vanishes. Upon visiting trusted FNG, he said this is a typical vibration/clatter for a bad flywheel. This will need to be replaced along with clutch assembly which will cost Rs. 60K approx. It will take him around a week to replace it after ordering.

I am planning to visit my home town 300 Km away from Vadodara in the weekend with a toddler and a pregnant lady. I cannot afford to get stranded with them in peak summer on highway. However, FNG said 20 cars out of 100 have this problem and it can easily cover 5-6K kms with bad flywheel. Nothing to worry.

Hence, I seek BHPians expert opinion on the following;

1. Is it safe to travel with bad flywheel for about 600 Kms (total to & fro journey from Vadodara)?
2. If yes to above, any special care to be taken while travelling to avoid any further damage to clutch/engine/flywheel?
3. Is it worth spending Rs. 60K on a almost 12 year old car? I intend to keep this car till 2025 after which re registration will be required which I do not intend to.

Thanks in advance.
sidg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:12   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Did you remove the driver airbag assembly/steering wheel for any job? The clockspring might have gone off its axis. Getting it back in its right position should solve your problem
No, the driver airbag assembly/steering wheel hasn’t been removed for any job till date.

Quote:
Gear lever - please go with a walnut faux wood - leather gear knob that is available at Toyota as an accessory. It looks just like the 2013 Innova Z gear knob (pic below) but the faux wood would be lighter and the leather, light grey. If you don't get that, even the one in the pic would do.

Attachment 2309187
Will ask my service centre on the options available, and go for whatever is available. Does the white lettering (gear numbers) on the faux wood get faded after usage?

Quote:
Seats - just get the chaffed portion replaced from a seat cover/ lining shop. They might charge you 2000 bucks or so. Else, just leave it. Please don't make the mistake of putting aftermarket seat covers.

Please use a leather conditioner from time to time on the seats else they'll start cracking.
Had made the service centre, conditioner the leather seats a while back and the result was excellent. Will use the leather conditioner myself as well to minimise the cracking.

Won’t put aftermarket seat covers.

Quote:
Answers in line
Any reason for not getting the alloys painted?

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 18th May 2022 at 09:13.
Old 18th May 2022, 09:19   #161
BHPian

Maruti Ritz Zxi 2013

1. Right turn signal flashes faster than normal. It gets fixed with every service but goes back to it again and again.

2. Right rear mudflap thanks to a horrendous speed breaker in bylanes of Bangalore

3. Car cleaning guy broke the latch of glovebox yesterday.

Will be sorting it all out this weekend.
Old 18th May 2022, 10:00   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
2010 Toyota Fortuner
Play in the LHS inner ball joint. Service advisor advised me to change both the LHS and RHS at one time and this will be changed around June/July
Change only the ball joint that is bad. The Toyota ball joints are very well made and last a long time. Do not go with the service advisor's say on changing both of them if they are fine and working well without any noise or play.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 10:32   #163
BHPian

2010 Honda Civic VMT | 78000kms done

- Steering makes sound on full lock despite changing the box assembly and rack 6 months ago

- Unplesant whine post 4k RPM, I suspect it's coming from the steering box.

- Armrest leather is ripped.

I'm still looking for a good FNG in Chennai for regular upkeep and service. Apart from these issues the car is a really pleasant place to be in, I enjoy it as I love low cars and the driving position feels amazing, and it's a hoot around corners.
RunSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:03   #164
BHPian

2021 Nissan Kick Turbo | ~7,000 kms done
- All works well except for the passenger side seatbelt sign which seems to have had some issue since installing aftermarket seat covers

2021 Maruti S Cross Hybrid | ~10,000kms done
- Dented boot and rear left light housing owing to a head and backend butting match with a stubborn bull. Clearly, the bull won

2017 Bajaj Dominar ABS | ~15,000 kms done
- Surprisingly no issues / niggles, A reason for this could be that I have barely used it in start stop traffic. It mostly does short highway runs (~300 to 400kms in a day) and the odd office commute (abt 45kms round trip). It does tend to heat up a bit around the legs during the summers.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:07   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
2010 Honda Civic VMT | 78000kms done

- Unplesant whine post 4k RPM, I suspect it's coming from the steering box.

I'm still looking for a good FNG in Chennai for regular upkeep and service. Apart from these issues the car is a really pleasant place to be in, I enjoy it as I love low cars and the driving position feels amazing, and it's a hoot around corners.
Do check either of your wheel bearings.

A bad bearing also makes a great deal of whinning noise which gets exponential as the vehicle speed increases.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks