Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 12:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Multiple problems in a 3-week old Skoda Slavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREV View Post
Going to off-topic. India spec BMWs are quite reliable but India spec Mercs, a big NO.
The engine and transmission on my E250 CDI has been fine so far (touchwood). This particular engine/gearbox combo in various states of tune is a taxi model in Europe/UK, and it's been shown to be reliable.
(For what it's worth I believe even Skodas are taxis in eastern Europe, which makes my point moot).

Granted, even I know people who have had trouble with their Benzes, but it seemed random rather than something waiting to happen due to flawed design (such as DSG). I have had some electrical issues and problems with the air conditioner on my E-class.

Quote:
People who bash VAG for poor reliability should get their head checked
(There was a more polite way to say that.)

Ironic you say that on a thread discussing a problem with a new Slavia which the authorised service centre is clueless about.

There's a reason VAG cars have the reputation that they do.

Quote:
look at the reliability of Indian spec Mercs as well. In fact, I'd be more confident on BMW or VAG more than any Mercedes car sold in India.
I was thinking more in terms of, how often does it strand you?

I don't have hard numbers to prove or disprove either of our claims. But still, I accept the possibility that you may be right. Older MB cars (before ≈2010) were a mess.

Last edited by voldemort : 30th May 2022 at 12:45.
voldemort is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:18   #17
BHPian

Why are the newer models from Škoda/VW facing this issue
A Lot of experienced members here have given their detailed views on this topic and I agree that Škoda has been partial to their new cheaper models launched and developed for India.
But I would like to say it out loud That slavia/virtus/kushaq/taigun are no cheap cars they are all costing above 13 lacs and there are many more cars in this price range with proven reliability and quality like Honda city.
Mass market brands like Škoda/VW are charging a premium for their cars and then they should also offer the quality and reliability at that price point.

The quality control and reliability of these brands are declining as they treat India as a third world country.

The owners of such cars who are facing such issues, I hope they get their issues resolved soon, but for prospective owners I say they should go for the more reliable competition as that is the only way these brands would make improvements to there products.

I hope the concerned lady is able to get all her issues resolved and enjoy her first car.

Regards
W16Rocks

Last edited by W16rocks : 30th May 2022 at 12:22.
W16rocks is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:22   #18
BHPian

I feel sorry for any customer who has to go through this ordeal after buying a fancy new car. Skoda has really become untrustworthy now.

The video I saw…made no sense to me. Social media posts complaining about things are supposed to be like this ? Usually a video is made highlighting the issues. I was a little confused seeing the video.

Sorry for my ignorance. Maybe I am getting too old for this generation.
drjaygoyal is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
The engine and transmission on my E250 CDI has been fine so far (touchwood). This particular engine/gearbox combo in various states of tune is a taxi model in Europe/UK, and it's been shown to be reliable.
(For what it's worth I believe even Skodas are taxis in eastern Europe, which makes my point moot).

Granted, even I know people who have had trouble with their Benzes, but it seemed random rather than something waiting to happen due to flawed design (such as DSG). I have had some electrical issues and problems with the air conditioner on my E-class.

(There was a more polite way to say that.)

Ironic you say that on a thread discussing a problem with a new Slavia that the authorised service centre is clueless about.

There's a reason VAG cars have the reputation that they do.

I was thinking more in terms of, how often does it strand you?

I don't have hard numbers to prove or disprove either of our claims. But still, I accept the possibility that you may be right. Older MB cars (before ≈2010) were a mess.
Your E350 CDI is the older Merc. I am talking about the newer Mercedes cars sold in India. Not the global ones. The European spec Mercs are very reliable. It's just that Mercedes-Benz India is doing cheap standards with their India spec cars in terms of reliability nowadays. Older Mercs were solid. I spoke these things based on owner reviews. I know the owner myself. In fact he told me that his Superb and Kodiaq were far more reliable than his GLE53 AMG and GLS.

Sure, some people will have good experience with India spec Mercs. But I feel VAG and Merc reliability is more of a hit or miss. Let's not talk about the 2.0 VAG cars. I don't even consider them as VAG cars at all. They are built to a cost.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th May 2022 at 17:37. Reason: Profanity
IREV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
I'm sorry but I believe I have to play the devil's advocate for this particular thread even though I have been quite vocal critic of all the misses that VAG India has done with their India 2.0 strategy.

I am not impressed by the way VAG India handles their India 2.0 situation so much so that I have cancelled my plans for a Virtus. Hoping that all the owners gets their cars in acceptable condition soon!

Try to be in her shoes, she spends 20 lakh of her hard earn money and still her car is down and out, request to please spread wisdom once you feel empathy for others.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2022 at 08:11. Reason: A little politeness hurt no one :)
Sach_511 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
1) The Slavia is a new car and it is bound to have issues like this, I don't think it is particularly correct to call the car a lemon/faulty as this is more of teething issue over anything else. It would be a different story if the car was facing more issues and/or unique issues than an average Slavia/India 2.0 model owner. Even a non-car person can deduce from common sense that new cars are going to come with new issues.
Why exactly should one be prepared to face issues that you label as teething issues? Shouldn't these not exist at all? A car not running and the ASS not being able to diagnose the issue in weeks isn't a "teething issue", it could still have been called one when it showed up in the Kushaq right after its launch, not a year after it though! If something like this would've showed up in a Tata or a Mahindra they would've been treated with howls and cries for their lack of quality and quality checks.

Quote:
2) I also believe that the issue hasn't been raised through the correct medium of communication, using LinkedIN or Youtube Shorts for car issues will most likely not yield the desired results.
It could, Zac responded! Emails will not yield the right results, you gotta shake things up with a company as shameless as VAG.

Quote:

4) The Skoda team has already made clear that all of these defects and problems are taken care of under warranty, seems like an appropriate response. Has the owner been asked to pay anything so far for the problems that they have faced?
Since its an oft-repeated issue the cover needs to be longer than just the warranty period. the car would surely be driven after this period too!

Quote:
4) Option of getting a new car/refund is also extremely ambitious, if the owner is truly facing the extent of mental agony that she claims to be facing then it is better to sell the car. The car is yet new and she would not lose a lot of money on this. Mental peace is priceless and therefore it makes sense for her to do this.
I agree, that's actually the safest option for the owner, however she would incur a loss for no fault of her's.

Its sad that such a fabulous car is let down by such issues , especially when these cars were to be their saviours of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
The video I saw…made no sense to me. Social media posts complaining about things are supposed to be like this ? Usually a video is made highlighting the issues. I was a little confused seeing the video.

I know its funny but thats the way of the world we now live in

An email or a youtube video detailing the issue would reach a very small target audience whereas a short video like this with a trending song in the background stands the chance of reaching a much wider audience on instagram, thereby potentially causing much more damage to Skoda's reputation.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2022 at 13:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
noo.b is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 13:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB86 View Post
I've waited for 18 years to buy a good car for myself and after a lot of years of hard work and savings I finally decided to buy a Skoda Slavia.

Being a woman, I wanted to get a car in which I felt safe as my work timings are late and I have to travel a long distance at odd hours. Keeping that in mind I wanted a safe and reliable car.
The first thing that caught my eyes were the above from that horror story which made me chuckle.

Using "Skoda/VW" and "reliable/trustworthy" in the same sentence is an oxymoron ( Hey, not the moron cuss word ).

As a PwD who went through the same chain of events ( not the same issue ) with a Rapid DSG within 11 days of purchasing the car back in 2015 and the NUMREOUS visits to the Service Center, I can correlate to the frustration arising out of sheer inability .

EVERYTHING is COMPARATIVE from hereon in.

Normally with the other normally reliable models like Toyota/ Maruti/ Hyundai/ Honda/ Kia ( to an extent ) you generally dont get such critical issues, exceptions excluded. Even if you get it, the time taken to identify and resolve problems is comparatively low. You do keep hearing the horror stories here and there, but it would still be comparatively minimal to the sheer volumes sold and more of an exception.

Problem arises with VAG when dealers keep the vehicle for longer time and aren't transparent about issues that is core to the car. The company directs the customers BACK to the dealer on escalations, and the experience keeps repeating for multiple customers without getting a chance of dying down.

How difficult would it have been to test the battery output/ charging efficacy/ alternator etc. and crossing it off the list and then communicating to the customer on what was at least taken off the checklist? It would give a sense of "something is happening" though it is not resolved.

sigh! They NEVER learn.
careind is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 13:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quite crazy to pay so much money and get troubled like this. For me the solution is pretty simple = never buy any Skoda or Volkswagen vehicle, period!

The models are extremely tempting with the premium looks, features and amazing build quality, but what’s the use if you have to run around the car instead of the car running around for you.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 30th May 2022 at 13:51.
Cyborg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 14:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
[b]Even a non-car person can deduce from common sense that new cars are going to come with new issues.
No they cannot deduce this. Non Car people don't frequently these forums or don't have acumen to understand issues with cars. I am one of them. I joined the forum even when I didn't have a car and I still don't understand most things. But for me, I pay lots of money, I deserve proper, functional and reliable car. I didn't fund some kickstarter.

The Slavia is a 15L or more money car but say there is a middle class person who saved and bought a Hyundai / Maruti, a brand new model from any of these, do they expect the new car may come with new issues. Nope.
They pay their hard earned and saved money to buy their first car and then this happens?
I am sure if this happened with Maruti or Hyundai, the forum would crucify the manufacturer but when it is VW, many people feel it is ok give some leeway.
raksrules is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 14:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post

People have their own means of reaching out or creating enough attention. Team-Bhp members are a blessed lot, to have so much wisdom from members who have lot of knowledge about cars and avenues to help each other out.

In today's world, such videos, and posts on instagram / twitter get much more visibility.

The friend approached me, after reaching out to the service center, and when she felt the response was not to her satisfaction. Now, whether the response of the people at the service center was adequate enough or not is subjective. But lack of transparency and unable to give a concrete solution is where the problem lies.

Ideally, none of us want to face issues after spending so much. Plus, so many people buy cars going by the brand name, looks of the car. One cannot deny, despite the stories around VAG 2.0, the cars are attractive and a brand which many want to experience.
ZB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 14:59   #26
BHPian

That video does not make any sense. I can't imagine Skoda or the dealer would be worried about their image based on such videos. People sharing such videos are not helping the cause of the customer here.

Having said that, this is absolutely unacceptable from Skoda.
gary is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 15:00   #27
BHPian

@JoshMachine - Thanks for all the research. The concerned person is keeping a tab on this thread and hopefully something good comes of it.

You said it right with rushed diagnosis and not having a convincing reply to the problem.

Ideally, by now this issue should have been settled and the owner should be driving around with a peace of mind.

The members of team-bhp are lucky to have wiser heads around to help in such scenarios but for a common consumer this can be a difficult situation. For most, the first point of contact is the service center with hope that they will fix any issue. The very idea of reaching out like to gain should not be the route.

Let's hope for VAG and the friend, issue is resolved soon and she can enjoy the car.
Old 30th May 2022, 15:04   #28
BANNED

Such customer problems convince me to keep my acquaintances away from new products and from products with critical first-gen technology. Even if I want it, I'd rather buy the same thing used because a used vehicle has a service history, which tells us more about the vehicle than a shiny new car. A known devil is better than an unknown angel.

There are only a few new-gen products, which I feel comfortable recommending like the 2022 Baleno, WagonR current-gen, Punch, Safari, and a few more. If the Slavia and Kushaq went on sale some 2 years apart, then I'd have expected it to have sorted out the issues.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 15:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
No they cannot deduce this. Non Car people don't frequently these forums or don't have acumen to understand issues with cars. I am one of them. I joined the forum even when I didn't have a car and I still don't understand most things. But for me, I pay lots of money, I deserve proper, functional and reliable car. I didn't fund some kickstarter.
I agree with you on this. This thread also happened, because the friend mentioned to me about the situation and how she intends to go about it in coming days. I asked her if it is ok to post here and find out if any of the members have faced a similar issue or found a way out.

These kinds of issues is something none of us would expect in a new car and many including me, would expect the service center to fix any issue.

Whatever little knowledge I have gained about cars over the years, is all thanks to the members here and reading up about their experiences good or bad.

I was under the impression after what happened with Kushaq, the issues would have been resolved by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
That video does not make any sense. I can't imagine Skoda or the dealer would be worried about their image based on such videos. People sharing such videos are not helping the cause of the customer here.

Having said that, this is absolutely unacceptable from Skoda.
The customer has raised the issue across multiple platforms, including team-bhp now. There is a post on LinkedIn, Facebook other than the video which is also mentioned in the post.

Posts do go viral on instagram and twitter, it has lot of visibility. In the video, good or bad, the person has explained long enough of what the issue is in the description of the post.

Idea was to get enough attention on this issue, and find out if this is wide spread and to get it resolved.

And all this, after the service center / dealer has been unable to give a satisfying solution.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th May 2022 at 17:36. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
ZB86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 18:28   #30
BHPian

Wait a minute here, but I find this whole incident quite dramatically enhanced. I may receive some flack for this but I do believe some one has to speak up. First of all, if you say you’re a woman and your priority is woman safety over everything else, then why buy a newly baked lesser known product from a manufacturer whose notorious for producing lemons and poor after sales? And then to top it off you make a musical video giving some theatrical posses with the car mixed up with a sad story of how you saved up for 18 years to make a foolish decision and post it to Instagram with cool editing. Is she trying to get her car problems solved or garner sympathy views on social media?

We all value our savings be it for 18 years or 18 months and both women and men can feel unsafe when stuck in the wrong situation. I believe we all should weigh the pros and cons and do through research on a product and brand before going in for the plunge. If woman safety is the MAIN priority (which looks like it from the above post or at least seems like it) and NOT a social media show of having the most feature loaded product from a German brand, then it would have been smarter to go for a tried and tested Japanese product that’s been on the market since quite some time.

I think all of us have been screaming this on Team-Bhp since years that let others take the hit of a new product, then let the company iron out all the issues over a period of 1-2 years and only then go for a product. Either way, i’m sure that this issue would be resolved under warranty and this just looks like the classic issue of the car being one of the lemons from the first production batch rather than a problem with the entire Slavia lineup being tarnished with problems. Just my opinion off course. Either ways, I wish her all the luck and hope she doesn’t suffer any other problems in the future.
Starfire is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks