Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2022, 15:24   #1
BHPian

Jeep Compass | Blinking "D" & engine power loss

Hello Fellow BHPians and Experts, need your support in deciding my next course of action.

However before moving forward, let me detail my small journey with the car, in Nov 2021 bought a May'19 Pre-Worshipped Jeep Compass Longitude AT with 39000 Km.
Till April 2022 car was driven only for additional 3000km, with Covid subsidizing took an outstation trip to Kota from Delhi, some 400 Km one way trip.

Issue

While returning from Kota the car started losing power, checking the gear box, D was blinking, somehow managed to park the car on side of highway. Also engine had turned off. After putting the car in P mode, turning the engine on and putting back gear to 'D', car started, however within a few kms the car lost power again, D was blinking.
Somehow managed to park the car again, Googled the closest Jeep service center and spoke to a technician who after listening to the symptoms promptly called it a Fuel Pump issue and said part is not available, so we will have to take RSA to bring the car to Jaipur and leave it their for atleast a week. This was not an option so decided to take 3rd party crane service and bought the car back home to Delhi.

First Solution

Once back home called Jeep RSA and they picked the car from home to local Okhla service center. Even the local Jeep advisor said fuel pump issue with no part availability, no specific reason of failure of the pump was mentioned, however as promised within a week part was arranged and car was handed over to me. Car still had original 3 Year warranty and no payment was needed.

Issue Repeated

Coming to this week, car had been driven only 400 kms since the Fuel Pump change, and the same symptoms have returned back when coming back from Greater Noida. However Jeep Warranty is now over. Bought the car from Mahindra First Choice whose warranty still exists.

Dilemma

So would like to know what are my options for the next steps, in my mind these are the options :

1) Use Mahindra First Choice Warranty - However I am very skeptical whether they would have the needed expertise to resolve the issue.

2) Take the car to Jeep Service Center - Let them diagnose and fix the issue. But I also have a lingering doubt, did they even change the Fuel Pump for which they did provide a bill. How can a part fail within a month? So either they didnt change the part or the diagnosis was wrong. Also I think this would be a very costly affair for my pocket.

Oh and if our residential experts know of the issue and have any additional suggestion that would be highly appreciated.
sandhyab is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 16:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Jeep Compass | Blinking "D" & engine power loss

Sorry to hear about the troubles on your car. I am no expert in Jeep Compass, however, just logically thinking, it seems improbable that blinking "D" on the gearbox is connected to fuel pump issues.

Blinking "D" usually indicates transmission error. This will be related to some components of your automatic transmission system. If you do a simple google search for "blinking D in automatic transmission", you will find a lot of articles. Not a single one of that would indicate a fuel pump issue.

I think even if they actually changed the fuel pump in warranty, your issue was unrelated to that, and hence, it appeared again. This is my guess. I could be wrong since I do not know much about the specific implementation of this in Jeep Compass, but my answer is based on generally what the blinking "D" indicates in any AT car.

Further, blinking "D" will surely throw an error code (DTC) that you can see if you scan the car. You can ask the service center to scan the car in front of you and check the error codes. Very likely you will see the car throwing an error code related to transmission components (e.g. clutch or clutch related parts).

By the way, you should not drive your car at all when there is any transmission error. This could be a serious error. You should get this sorted out before driving the car.

I would say take it to Jeep Service Center and insist on them checking all transmission errors, and fixing the transmission issues under warranty (since last time you had mentioned the same issue under warranty). Your car is still too new to go outside authorized service center. Explore the authorized service options fully first, and only if required, go outside later as Plan B.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 29th May 2022 at 16:37.
Dr.AD is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 00:03   #3
BHPian

re: Jeep Compass | Blinking "D" & engine power loss

This is unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
1) Use Mahindra First Choice Warranty - However I am very skeptical whether they would have the needed expertise to resolve the issue.
Escalate this at the service centre and also to Jeep so that they get this fixed under warranty.

Also, if you have the warranty policy document from MFC, read that and see where they get the cars serviced. I'm just guessing here, but I think they will send the car to the OEM service centre because that will be easy for them as well.
neelkumar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass | Blinking "D" & engine power loss

Quote:
Coming to this week, car had been driven only 400 kms since the Fuel Pump change, and the same symptoms have returned back when coming back from Greater Noida. However Jeep Warranty is now over. Bought the car from Mahindra First Choice whose warranty still exists.
The issue was reported to Jeep & the car visited the Jeep workshop while it was still under warranty coverage. They haven't fixed it right. Reach out to Jeep directly and put all supporting documentation. They have a responsibility to repair your car under warranty.

Also, PLEASE always take extended warranty. We literally shout it out from the rooftops on Team-BHP. Wish you'd taken it, especially when you saw this problem crop up.

Quote:
Use Mahindra First Choice Warranty - However I am very skeptical whether they would have the needed expertise to resolve the issue.
Ask them how it works. Use the Mahindra First Choice warranty only if they are sending it to the Jeep workshop.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 14:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

When the vehicle is otherwise driving around, is there smoke from the exhaust or loud injector noise etc?

Fueling issues will show some symptoms, while the fuel pump is fixed earlier whatever that messed with the fuel pump would eventually wear out the injectors as well leading to engine shutdown.

A transmission fault may not cut out an engine in the middle of a drive. A less frequently used diesel engine will develop injector & fuel pump issues sooner or later.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 23:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They have a responsibility to repair your car under warranty.
Have RSA crane receipt and fuel pump bill however I do not think any of them mention the issue specifically, but hopefully will not be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, PLEASE always take extended warranty. We literally shout it out from the rooftops on Team-BHP. Wish you'd taken it, especially when you saw this problem crop up.
Middle class mentality TBH, they asked 60k for 2 yr warranty extension, didn't feel VFM at that moment,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
When the vehicle is otherwise driving around, is there smoke from the exhaust or loud injector noise etc?

Fueling issues will show some symptoms, while the fuel pump is fixed earlier whatever that messed with the fuel pump would eventually wear out the injectors as well leading to engine shutdown.

A transmission fault may not cut out an engine in the middle of a drive. A less frequently used diesel engine will develop injector & fuel pump issues sooner or later.
Nopes no smoke or injector noise also it's a Petrol car, does that make a difference?

Last edited by sandhyab : 31st May 2022 at 23:14.
sandhyab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 09:37   #7
BHPian

Based on my experience with Jeep service centers - One thing is common. There is no escalation chain. Even if you manage to reach Jeep directly, they connect you back to the same service Center and wash their hands off.

Try to work it out with the Jeep service Center folks. If they are not responsive (or) deny service under warranty, make sure to shout in their Instagram handle. That seems to get some attention.
sheelapratosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 11:02   #8
BHPian

A blinking D would indicate either a transmission issue or a worn out clutch assembly. A worn out clutch plate or the clutch release bearing will not allow gears to change causing an issue.

I am not sure what type of Transmission does Jeep Compass have; however a scan should give out the real story behind this issue.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 19:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Issue

While returning from Kota the car started losing power, checking the gear box, D was blinking, somehow managed to park the car on side of highway. Also engine had turned off. After putting the car in P mode, turning the engine on and putting back gear to 'D', car started, however within a few kms the car lost power again, D was blinking.
Somehow managed to park the car again, Googled the closest Jeep service center and spoke to a technician who after listening to the symptoms promptly called it a Fuel Pump issue and said part is not available, so we will have to take RSA to bring the car to Jaipur and leave it their for atleast a week. This was not an option so decided to take 3rd party crane service and bought the car back home to Delhi.

First Solution

Once back home called Jeep RSA and they picked the car from home to local Okhla service center. Even the local Jeep advisor said fuel pump issue with no part availability, no specific reason of failure of the pump was mentioned, however as promised within a week part was arranged and car was handed over to me. Car still had original 3 Year warranty and no payment was needed.

Hi sandhyab

I have a Jeep Compass Petrol AT & had a very similar problem. I actually bought mine brand new in Nov'21. When I flagged this issue to the workshop (had to escalate a bit due to the slow response), I was informed that if we dont press the brake hard enough, this issue comes up (they had run a few diagnostics plugged to their computer and found nothing wrong). So for past few months, I have been pressing the brake harder & this issue has not come up. Not sure if the issue you are facing is more severe. If you are open, we can connect over a call & check if the issue is actually similar or I am just assuming it to be.
aayusht is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 22:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
Hi sandhyab

I have a Jeep Compass Petrol AT & had a very similar problem. I actually bought mine brand new in Nov'21. When I flagged this issue to the workshop (had to escalate a bit due to the slow response), I was informed that if we dont press the brake hard enough, this issue comes up (they had run a few diagnostics plugged to their computer and found nothing wrong). So for past few months, I have been pressing the brake harder & this issue has not come up. Not sure if the issue you are facing is more severe. If you are open, we can connect over a call & check if the issue is actually similar or I am just assuming it to be.
What?? That seems to be a strange solution however I don't think it applies to me since I lose power (and eventual engine off) while trying to accelerate or maintain speed, so not sure how hard braking can help. Can you confirm if its the same with you?
sandhyab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 23:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nopes no smoke or injector noise also it's a Petrol car, does that make a difference?
Yep, please have ASC inspect fuel filter and fuel filler cap just to rule out the more common issues.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 1st June 2022 at 23:34.
Old 1st June 2022, 23:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, please inspect fuel filter and fuel filler cap just to rule out the more common issues.
How does one inspect a fuel filter?
More importantly, why would it cause a blinking D?

The codes should be read with a brand/make specific OBD scanner.
It could be something as simple as the positioning switch of the transmission handle.

I doubt very much it is anything to do with the fuel. A leaking fuel filler cap will, likely, get you a CEL. But it won’t affect on how the car / engine is running. It only affects, a tiny bit, the emission system, hence the CEL.
Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 1st June 2022 at 23:40.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
What?? That seems to be a strange solution however I don't think it applies to me since I lose power (and eventual engine off) while trying to accelerate or maintain speed, so not sure how hard braking can help. Can you confirm if its the same with you?
Yes, similar situation- I too lose power despite the key being turned off in the ignition & I need to turn the key from ignition to off and then turn it again to switch the car on. No check engine light or any other warning.
Only difference I see - with me it has happened when the car is at a standstill in the middle of traffic. Leads to an embarrassing situation
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
How does one inspect a fuel filter?
More importantly, why would it cause a blinking D?

The codes should be read with a brand/make specific OBD scanner.
It could be something as simple as the positioning switch of the transmission handle.

I doubt very much it is anything to do with the fuel. A leaking fuel filler cap will, likely, get you a CEL. But it won’t affect on how the car / engine is running. It only affects, a tiny bit, the emission system, hence the CEL.
Jeroen
Agree , however OP has mentioned the problem resurfacing during a long trip - vapor lock? considering fuel pump is already replaced the fuel filter & associated lines is worth checking.

A faulty fuel filler cap can cause pressure difference and stall the engine. There was a case narrated by a technician wherein the vehicle stalls at a certain place during a gentleman's long trip and was diagnosed to be a faulty aftermarket gas cap.

Nevertheless these are best case scenarios, hope nothing expensive needs to be replaced considering vehicle is out of warranty.
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:15   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree , however OP has mentioned the problem resurfacing during a long trip - vapor lock? considering fuel pump is already replaced the fuel filter & associated lines is worth checking.

A faulty fuel filler cap can cause pressure difference and stall the engine. There was a case narrated by a technician wherein the vehicle stalls at a certain place during a gentleman's long trip and was diagnosed to be a faulty aftermarket gas cap.

Nevertheless these are best case scenarios, hope nothing expensive needs to be replaced considering vehicle is out of warranty.
Again, how do you check a fuel filter? I would really like to understand

As I mentioned a faulty fuel gap might get you a CEL, but nothing else. Any car will still run without a fuel cap at all. At worse it will misfire a bit. A faulty fuel cap will throw one or several fault codes too. So scanning for

The best case scenario is always a proper diagnosis, rather than hit and miss trouble shooting. And a proper diagnosis always starts with a full Error code scan with an appropriate scanner. A faulty fuel cap will throw one or several fault codes too. So scanning for code takes all guessing out of the equation. Anything else is just a waste of time and effort. Next somebody will be suggesting to replace the ECU.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 2nd June 2022 at 10:35.

Most Viewed