Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2022, 13:06   #16
BHPian

Re: 2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West

Ripoff. On my last service for my Ford Aspire, they did some kind of engine coating without asking or informing me. I only realized while checking the bill afterwards.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 14:13   #17
BHPian

While not in the same league as this in terms of monetary value, a Hyundai ASS in Hyderabad recently tacked on Front and Rear "Brake Overhaul" worth ~1.5k each.

When I dwelled into this and what was done, the SA had no answer and was mentioning something on the lines of opening and cleaning the brakes drums.

This is a 2018 Elantra with Front and Rear Disc brakes. When I questioned as to why this was done, the SA waived the cost without an argument.
ballfry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 15:14   #18
BHPian

Audi beaten everyone else in this business! 5.5 lakhs bill for a Q3. Even though this could be because of the greediness of the specific dealer, but Audi's process should have taken care these kinds of problems to monitor and control the crooked dealer behaviors with some audits & checks. Whatever the brand it is, there is a process to consult the car owner to carry out this kind of high value repairs. I am in the look out of a good German car and Audi is out of the choice already. May sound rash, but it is what it is for people who put it in their savings in these luxury brand cars hoping to have a different level of experience. Assuming "if you own one of the top 3 brand and you should be able pay the insane service costs" attitude will kill these brands over a period of time.

Epitome of a spare part cost: a towel with Audi logo for few thousands! Apple I am ashamed of your cleaning cloth now. Audi has beaten you!

Last edited by sgmuser : 1st June 2022 at 15:17. Reason: missed a point.
sgmuser is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 18:30   #19
BHPian

As a doctor, I'd like to add my 2 cents to this situation, because I have been in similar situations myself.

We doctors deal with two kinds of people in the automotive sector :

Those who go out of the way to help us out because we're doctors. They have their own personal interests behind the same as they know once we're obliged by them, they can ask us for any health related guidance or even show us their medical reports and ask us to prescribe medicines (for free of course) and trust me I wouldn't ask for a single penny if you've ever helped me out.

And the second, 'yeh toh doctor hai issey car ke baare mein kya maaloom?'
Translation : He is a doctor, how much knowledge would he be having about a car?
I experience the same during Test Drives when I let the SA utter his nonsense about a particular criticism I make about his product and then when he's done i love making him wipe his sweat off his face when i start spilling out facts.

I'm sure most Architects, Sports related persons, IT Professionals have to deal with the second kind of Sales/Service Advisers as they start taking us for granted once they acknowledge that we aren't from the auto-sector professionally.

Exactly what this Doctor had to go through and he has every right to take this up legally and we should him know that people from this forum are there to guide him.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 1st June 2022 at 18:36.
dr.aviansh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 19:50   #20
BHPian

Sorry to say this doc, but you have been ripped off. The SA completed his monthly/ quarterly targets through your car.

You need to have a serious word with the service center head, please take a person who is understands cars and its maintenance. I believe this can be resolved amicably as the loot is blatant. My two cents will be let them know that you do not appreciate being cheated, yet looking to solve this peacefully. If they still don't budge opt for the legal route and give them a piece of your mind.
mac187 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 20:22   #21
BHPian

I think the moral of the story is to only go the ASS while the car is under warranty. After that your FNG is the best option.
AmGu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 20:43   #22
BHPian

Sorry to see the dealer ripping you off, abusing the trust you put in them. Once a German luxury car is out of warranty, it should never be taken to the dealer in my opinion. I recall similar situation when I took my (used) Audi Q5 to a dealer for check-up to see if anything was wrong before closing the deal(visible inspection showed car in very good shape). After the inspection, the estimate was around Rs4.5L! I was shocked!

According to them, the brake pads and rotors, the suspension, the bushings, power window motors (single touch roll-up) all needed immediate replacement and the service guy told me he suspects even engine has been opened and repaired. I developed a cold foot and almost decided to not to buy Q5.
Then I realized most of the expenses were unnecessary.
I changed pads and rotors after 4.5 years (after logging 30k km more) and did some partial suspension work after 4 years. And I still have not spent 4.5L in all of the service/repairs and most of the repairs were not what Audi dealership was recommending! The car runs great.

I visited the dealership only once for service/repair as I was hesitant with FNGs but after seeing Rs 500 for a 10gm piece of metal for wheel balancing at the dealership, I knew that place is a complete rip-off.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 2nd June 2022 at 20:44.
OffRoadFun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 22:52   #23
Team-BHP Support

On the other hand, my 40000km Q3, 8 years old cost me a mere Rs 29000 to service
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 00:45   #24
BHPian

What kind of repair needs so many bolt replacement? It seems they opened up the engine block in the depth of their mind and replaced all the seals, washers, nuts and bolts. Apparently the nuts are in better shape so only few had to be replaced. But the bolts- they got rusted, or thread slipped, or what? From the itemised bill it can be concluded that Audi makes very poor quality bolts, and so it has to be replaced in batches.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:13   #25
BHPian

Imagine the amount of money these workshops make by simply fleecing the customer.

I guess 7 out of 10 'typical' Audi customers would not even care to go through the bill and the items they are charged for, perhaps just digest such large bills thinking that this would be an expense of owning a car from the big brands. A simple payment is done by the driver and the car is back home, with no questions or complaints raised.

They may be getting happy to know Audi sent a towel along with the car and never find out that they paid a pretty penny for it.

A reliable and trustworthy FNG, IMHO, is a must for when these white elephants are out of their warranty period.
Old 7th June 2022, 01:24   #26
BHPian

What in the seven hell have I seen

Sorry for the ordeal the Doctor had to go through. This is daylight robbery.

All I see is nuts and bolts and washers. And the quantity of these items feels like they changed this for the entire service bay

I am not buying any VW luxury brand. I was suggesting A4 to a friend a month back. I thank my stars that he bought a Fortuner.

I have already got a flavor of this nonsense when my AC coupler and wiring had to be changed due to Rat bite.
I was billed for 24 electrical tape for less than half a meter of wire. The actual coupler costed 100 rupees while the wire costed ~2500.
ankitsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 10:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
What kind of repair needs so many bolt replacement? It seems they opened up the engine block in the depth of their mind and replaced all the seals, washers, nuts and bolts. Apparently the nuts are in better shape so only few had to be replaced. But the bolts- they got rusted, or thread slipped, or what? From the itemised bill it can be concluded that Audi makes very poor quality bolts, and so it has to be replaced in batches.
Some engines require torque to yield bolts.These cannot be reused. https://dannysengineportal.com/torqu...ctly-are-they/
Mumbgamer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 12:43   #28
BHPian

Absolutely terrible, Audi!!

Have your dealers no shame??

It's a blatant "I don't give a damn" to the customer, adding whatever the hell they want to the final bill.
Given it's a high mileage car, a timing kit and maybe a seal or two was all that was warranted.

This is a 2.0 TDI, used in much cheaper cars and a very robust engine. They didn't have one reason to touch it.

Audi should charge the doctor for nothing more than the general service!
I really hope this thread on TBHP helps.

it should be highlighted on the homepage so other Audi owners know to be careful with Thieves like these !

also another case for extended warranties on complicated/expensive cars!
Not everyone has the time and inclination to sit and diagnose the issues on their cars, peace of mind is what is important, and an extended warranty ensures that.

A bill like this would have paid for the warranty 5 times over!!
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:02   #29
BHPian

I am shocked to see that to maintain an Audi, I need to spend as much as a new car.

Reminds of that meme "Itne me to ek car aa jati!"

It looks a total rip off, sorry to say sir, but the service people are clearly taking advantage of you lesser knowledge of the automobile.

On a lighter note, have the previous Skoda service center employees shifted to Audi's service center now?

Also, I hope that the service manager visits you for taking help on your expertise, and you get a chance to give him a similar experience.
(Its just a joke, I do not wish for someone else's bad health)
Old 24th June 2022, 23:55   #30

Forgive me for going against the mood of this thread. The ignorance about all things automotive does not justify your lack of interest in the whole episode. You come across as someone too trusting and naive, and in this world you are seen as someone to be taken advantage of. All you had to do was to ask for a full estimate of repairs, with a written approval necessary before commencing work. Even the most ignorant person would notice an item like the blue audi towel or wipers. Others have commented on certain items like serpentine belt pulleys etc being justified replacement due to the odometer reading however it doesn't give blanket approval for the work to be carried out. At the stage you are in a weak spot. Ask for evidence of item replacement, such as store requisitions, to confirm if they actually replaced the items or not because there were no symptoms of issues against which you could verify work completion. Thereafter negotiate and try to drive the final bill down to, say 3.5 lacs and pay up. And dont be so trusting in future, you are dealing with people whose paycheck depends on service sales, they will ask you to replace everything in your car to meet their sales quota.
Indiguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed