Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 11:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West

Dr. Ajay Pandey shares this information drops in a query via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
My name is Dr. Ajay Pandey MD, DM cardiologist. I am practising as an interventional cardiologist in South Mumbai. I own an Audi Q3 with registration number MH-04-HH-2111 and chassis number WAUZJF8U8GY001839, which I purchased in the year 2015.

On April 7th, 2022, I handed over my car for regular service along with a complaint that the engine oil was leaking. The same has been documented in the necessary admission papers at the time of handover of the vehicle.

Mr. Arijit Rudra was assigned as the Service Advisor. After a detailed inspection, he mentioned that there are several issues with my car which can be fixed by replacing a few parts. An initial verbal estimate of about Rs. 1 - 1.5 lakh was shared for which I gave my consent. A few days later I was called to the service station and informed that the estimate may go up to Rs. 3.5 lakh since there are major fixes required. A breakup of Rs. 3.5 lakh was provided on a paper (of course, I bought them at face value due to my little or no knowledge about the technical aspects of an automobile), the copy of which was not shared with me. I did mention at this time, that the amount sounds very high and they should do only what was very necessary to fix the car and I was assured they will consider lower labour charges and keep the total bill under Rs. 4 lakh and only perform repairs that are absolutely necessary.

My car was in the garage for over 3 weeks. During this time, I did face a lot of challenges in commuting. For the kind of profession I am in, it is very important to reach in time for scheduled appointments or emergencies. However, I was hopeful that my car was in the best hands, and at the same time, I was looking forward to receiving it soon.

On April 27th, I got a call that the car is ready and I could collect it. At this time, I inquired about the final bill amount and they mentioned that the bill was not ready yet and it shall take some time to prepare the final bill. Please note, during this conversation as well, I was never intimated about a further increase in the bill amount than what was earlier communicated to me.

On May 2nd, I went to collect the car and that day, a bill of Rs. 5,53,997 (Rs. Five lakh fifty-three thousand nine-hundred and ninety-seven), which Mr. Arjit mentioned was after agreed discounts and doctors complimentary discount, was handed over to me. This came as a complete shock.

Until I gave my car for regular service, besides a minor oil leak, I had no other complaints at all. I have always serviced my car regularly and maintained it in good condition. After receiving a few iterations of the estimate and finally confirming to me that the bill will be within Rs. 4 lakh and with absolutely no further intimation of an increase in amount, I was being handed over a bill of Rs. 5.5 lakh. Wow! That did take some time to absorb and yes, I haven’t been able to decode a lot of it yet.

Did they not need my consent for additional services when the deviation of the amount is in lakhs? Were those repairs / services a must to do or a good to have? Didn’t I mention in person and several times over WhatsApp conversations that please only work on whatever is necessary and a showstopper? Was the initial vehicle inspection incorrect? Where was the slippage? How come when they called to inform me that the car was ready, they did not have the final bill in your hand?

They did explain to me what repairs were done while handing over the bill, but I don’t understand automobile engineering. They did not take my consent for repairs amounting to a whopping Rs. 5.5 lakh. Shouldn’t that be my decision?

I told Mr. Arjit that since I will not be able to pay their dues, please get my car evaluated so that I can sell it off. He very promptly shared with me a valuation of Rs. 13 lakh for my vehicle, which I believe is underquoted.

However, I am writing to you with hope and anticipation that someone from your team will look into this and conduct an audit to validate the repairs, the amount associated with the repairs, and if they were really required?

Along with the several apprehensions that I have with regard to the authenticity of the services that I have received towards my car at Krishiv Motors, I am disappointed and deeply saddened at the same time because this was my first luxury car, my first Audi, my first vehicle that has my daughter’s birthdate as the number plate and so many beautiful memories that we have as a family. I definitely do not wish to sell this off. What I really want is a thorough check on the repairs done to my car because I sense there may be some foul play somewhere while handling my car during this service.

Waiting to hear back soon.
2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi4.png

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi5.jpg

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi6.jpg

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi7.jpg

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi8.jpg

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi9.jpg

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi10.jpg

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-audi11.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th May 2022 at 11:34.
Aditya is online now   (53) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 11:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 13:30   #3
BHPian

Having gone through the list shared, here’s a few things I noticed:

1. They claim to have replaced multiple screws, washers, bolts, seals and covers. These items make up about 2 pages of the total bill. They need to explain what these pertain to. It is impossible that all the seals of the engine failed at the same time, leading to the oil leak. I don’t think it was absolutely necessary to replace them all. You should ask them to show you the seals that came off the car.

2. From the bill, I could infer that on the mechanical front, they claim to have replaced your water pump, the engine mounts, the ribbed belt + its tensioners and pulleys and have serviced the car. This means that they should have given you the old parts that came off your car. Did they do so? I see that your car has crossed 1 lakh kilometers. If these things hadn’t been replaced before, then I think these replacements were legitimate expenses for ensuring that the car keeps running well. The total expenses for these replacements, when done at the authorised workshop should not cost anymore than 1.5-2 lakhs.

3. The customer had clearly only asked them to carry out repairs necessary to keep the car in running order. Why the hell did they replace a seat adjustment mechanism that costs nearly 90k?! (Item no. 64 in the bill)

4. Item 67, the Wiper blade that they replaced costs 5k. It is not something that affects how the car runs and is much cheaper in the open market.

5. Item 66 is the negative terminal of the battery. Since they have charged you 18k and replaced it, ask them why did they replace it? Was it damaged at any place? Ask them for the old part.

6. The most ridiculous item in the bill is item-57, “Audi Dark Blue Towel”. Didn’t know what that was, so I googled the part number. It is exactly that, a blue towel with Audi logo printed on it. Why did they charge the customer 9k for it if he only asked them to do what was necessary to keep the car running? Did they even give him the towel?

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-6df4d3e7086348d380547e3a713a7341.png

Lastly, they have no right to proceed with work that the customer did not agree to get done beforehand. Also, it is the duty of the service advisor to explain each and every aspect of the bill in detail and do only what the customer approved.

My car, a Mercedes C class of similar age, recently went for a service at the authorised MB dealer. They initially sent me an estimate of 6.5 lakhs, but my SA called up and clarified that this in no way represents what needs to be done. It is only a list of observations that is given to the customer along with prices. If the customer so wishes, he can proceed with all or some items mentioned therein. My SA explained to me exactly what all has to be done to keep the car healthy and prepared a separate estimate for that. He explained each of the items listed and only did what I approved. I refused to replace the air filter and AC filter, since these were done the last time as well. I also asked them not to get the transmission oil changed because i had already replaced it at a non-MB garage for around 50% of what MB would have charged. I ended up paying about 1.9 lakhs for engine mounts, servicing, a set of new tyres, an auxiliary battery and 2 ABS sensors. The 6.5 lakh estimate included everything, ranging from a broken centre console plastic to a torn seat cushion, a slight malfunction in the tail light etc. These replacements are obviously unnecessary on an ageing car and also cost a Bomb.

The initial estimate vs. the final bill:

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-822256126ae745d0b54528c7083769b0.jpeg

2015 Audi Q3 gets 5.5 lakh repair bill from Audi Mumbai West-4890df12dd374ebc93a46bd0a5959d0b.png

Since you only asked them to do the work necessary to keep the car running and had only agreed for a total bill of 4 lakhs, ask them why did they replace wiper blades (5k) and seat mechanism (90k)and also, why did they sell you a hand towel for 9k? These items themselves total to about a lakh. Also ask them questions about the oil seals, battery negative terminal and the zillion bolts and screws that they claim to have changed.

EDIT: turns out, item 64 is not a seat adjustment mechanism, but is actually something related to the gear selector mechanism. Still, why did they replace it if the customer had no issues WRT the gearbox?

I also note that they have replaced the flywheel, which again, could be something that needed to be changed, given the odo reading of your car. Considering a replacement of Flywheel + ribbed belt (and it’s tensioners and pulleys) + engine mounts + water pump + servicing + replacing oil seals, 3.5-4 lakhs could easily be the final bill, considering the fact that the work was done at the Audi authorised workshop. Parts and labour would undoubtably have been cheaper when done at an independent garage, but what they charged you for these seems along expected lines for the authorised garage. However,

1. They should have given you the estimate before work and done only what was approved by you.
2. Any further observations that would increase the costs should have been communicated to the customer before starting the work.
3. What was wrong with the gear selector that they changed a part worth 90k there, especially considering the fact that the customer had no problems related to it?
4. What all gaskets and seals did they change? Were they all related to the oil leak? If yes, how did they all fail at the same time.
5. What do so many bolts and screws pertain to? Could the ones coming off the car not have been reused?
6. If the customer has only asked for the car to be mechanically fixed, why replace the wiper blades, and why sell him a small hand towel for 9k?!
7. Why replace the battery negative terminal? Was there any physical damage?

Last edited by Sheel : 30th May 2022 at 16:10. Reason: As requested.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (106) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 15:28   #4
BHPian

Since the car has clocked so much, there could be a possibility that when the water pump was changed, they realised that crank oil seal was busted and probably that was the reason of the oil leak experienced before! This could be a cause of the amount of peripherals used and the labour being on the higher side!

That said, I completely agree with the above post that points "3", "4", "5" and the most ridiculous "6" should not have been performed without the consent of the Owner! Absolutely ridiculous by Audi!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 30th May 2022 at 15:29.
ssjr0498 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 15:44   #5
BHPian

While Audi has been realigning its product offering including by offering select cars at mouth watering prices, it is extremely important for them to gain the trust of their customers when it comes to after sales service. While many of us can shell out money to buy the cars, most of the times it is the uncertainty of the running and maintenance cost which deters newbies/people sitting on the fence. The larger VW and Skoda are trying to break their age old image and it is evident it their 2.0 strategy, they should focus this on Audi as well to regain its foothold which has been surely not as same as it used to be.
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 23:13   #6
BHPian

Even after this huge amount, they had the audacity to not change the brake pads and disc but mentioned specifically on the bill for future repairs.

Then they wonder why their sales are so low. Even after all these years VAG group has not been able to grip their after sales services. Sigh.
batish is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 23:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a friend who happened to buy a used Q7 and he has the same story to tell. In his very short term of ownership spanning a few months, he had to spend more than 5 lakhs on the service of his car at the Audi service.
clevermax is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 08:59   #8
BHPian

Would it be possible for you to give us a summary of the exact problems that you faced in the car vs what Audi actually fixed? I think it would be much easier to deduce what has happened then.

As a thumb rule, service centres ALWAYS have to take consent from the owners before carrying out any type of work, if you had not given consent that surely they are at fault.

Next, I believe it is important to figure out what charges they have levied. Other BHPians have already pointed out that they seals, screws etc seem to be excessively included in the bill alongside other ridiculous stuff like an Audi towel. You may have to take a firm stance but please do try to get rid of this stuff.

I have seen a recurring trait with German car companies to list all what they possibly can in terms of what is wrong with the car when it goes for service. Last time my Volkswagen went in for a service I was handed an estimate of close to a lakh when all I really wanted was an oil change.

I can totally understand the hassles faced by you especially given a fact that you are a Doctor and timely travel becomes crucial at times. Please do keep us updated on this thread, we would try to help you to the best of our abilities.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 09:39   #9
BHPian

I agree with post#3.
Audi ASS can be definitely taken for a ride sighting these points only.

While I do not have any experience with the Audi peeps, I am very well versed with the VAG group and some instances of MSIL service centre too.

This particular incident reminds me of an earlier incident at MASS.
I took my alto to get it serviced. It had clocked around 1.45 Lakh Kms.

The technician, while taking in the car took a short test drive. After he came back, he advised me get the suspension and steering rack changed and get the service done.

Though, I knew that my suspension were in need of a change, they were still holding just fine, so I didn't feel the need to put in couple of thousand. So I instructed them to just get the basic service done. I further explicitly mentioned that, If you need to change anything apart from engine oil, oil filter and air filter[As a part of the service], you need to get my approval first otherwise I won't be paying for that very part. He gave me a thumbs up. This was at 2 PM.

I came back at 6, while they were just wrapping there work, I saw the technician throwing off the coolant reservoir. Didn't say a word but, knew that I had caught them.

The bill comes and it was Rs. 4.4k

Now, I don't remember the exact breakup but

Total: Rs. 4.4k
After discount: Rs. 4k
Lubrication for doors: Rs. 300
Coolant reservoir: Rs. 90

After going through the bill, I asked the SA that why was the reservoir changed?
I asked you to get my approval first and then go for any change.

SA: Sir, the reservoir was dirty sir!

Me: Doesn't matter, It was working fine till now, why did you change it when it could simply be cleaned!

SA: Sir, let it go.

Me: I am not letting it go and you are telling me, it couldn't be cleaned?

SA: He didn't have any answer, perhaps I was the first one arguing over a Rs. 100 part!

Me: I am not paying for the reservoir! and what is this lubrication charges?
I didn't ask for it!

SA: Sir, this is a part of the service sir.

Me: Doesn't matter, didn't ask so not paying.

SA: Sir, we are already giving you 25% discount and you are talking like this!

Me: Discount you are giving out of your will, I didn't ask for it.
And, tell me If I am the only person you are offering discount to?

The SA obviously didn't have any answers.

I went off happily by paying just Rs. 3.6k.

Further, As a rule of thumb, considering the exponentially high prices of VAG parts I prefer to be with the VW while it is serviced. Saves a ton of headache later on.

These SAs are designated to rip off owners. A little attentiveness goes a long way.
pgoyal1996 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 09:50   #10
BHPian

Audi ASS really need to work on their estimates,

I still remember my Dad had his Audi A4 in for some body work in the year 2018 after a car had brushed it in traffic, to pull out a dent in the rear quarter panel the SA included the cost of the replacement for the rear windshield and the rear quarter glass and gave an explanation saying it may be damaged during the process of removing the dent. In all they gave us an estimate of 3 lakhs (without insurance) and my dad sat and reviewed all the unwanted additions and brought down to 70k and it was further reduced after the insurance claim.

Also whenever we gave our car for service the dealer would have damaged some paintwork, which I noticed and would bring it upto the SA and the car would sit in the bodyshop for another week but Audi bore all the costs. But we were never given a replacement vehicle when this happened after all it was the fault on the dealers end.

We are giving the Audi for service next month, will update this thread with the dealer antics and how I resolved them

Last edited by Cliff9091 : 1st June 2022 at 09:52.
Cliff9091 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 10:36   #11
BHPian

Sorry to hear this and I wish you didn't have to go through this ordeal with your beloved car.

Shocked to see a 11 page invoice!

The most sensible way out is to consult a known/trusted 3rd party workshop owner or a friend who is well versed with these things and sit the management team down and ask them to remove anything that is absolutely not required.

Move court if they don't agree to your terms since they did not take your consent for the works they claimed they did.

Please don't sell the car for someone else's mistakes, especially since it is your first car.
kiredd1005 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 11:26   #12
BHPian

I did not read the complete bill thoroughly but a wuick glance was all it needed to point out an *Audi Towel* which was billed for more than 9k. Gives a fair bit of idea that the dealership was only using this vehicle to be a cash cow for them.
Old 1st June 2022, 11:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
why sell him a small hand towel for 9k?!
?
OT: Maybe they used this to wash the car?

The part number - 3132100400 - 9k for 2 is a total rip off.
Is a bath towel !

I really don't understand why this is included in the service bill.

The part number - 04L103070b Looks like some fuel injector washer.

03L198070 - Oil cooler housing seal.
03L198441 - Oil Filter housing seal

The SA must have had to meet his monthly target. Looks they replaced everything and anything they touched and more!

This person should ask for clarification as to why all this was done without his approval. If needed escalate this matter to their top level management.
Captain Slow is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 11:56   #14
BHPian

Shocked and saddened indeed.

Whenever these German giant brands run out of their warranty period, the best option would be to service them at a reputed 3rd party workshop who deals with those brands and get them serviced to keep them running for the rest of their life time. You could save a fortune in doing so, yet keep your lovable car going.

Servicing them at authorized centers beyond their service and warranty packages would attract hefty bills invariably ( form my personal experiences with Audi, BMW).
I have a couple of my cousins who have had similar bitter experiences with Audi, Mercedes etc.,

My suggestion would be to get the service estimate and the list of work that needs to be carried out at Audi service and then drive straight to a 3rd party workstation, get it evaluated and do the needful.

Last edited by pradheepsr : 1st June 2022 at 12:03.
Old 1st June 2022, 12:10   #15
BHPian

I think some changes in gearbox which added to costs. Flywheel and possibly gear mechanism of 98k. Just get this reviewed from some expert.

Most Viewed