Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 12:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier XZA - Engine replacement in a 6-month old car!

This is where Mahindra excels while Tata fails at premium SUV offering area. Is it that difficult for Tata to just assemble an engine that’s borrowed and not built independently like Mahindra does? If chips situation improvise, I’m sure Mahindra’s sales will pick up easily with short delivery span where Tata is now banking on with less tech on offer.

Lack of finesse, quality issues, lack of technicians knowledge over issues diagnosed (mostly repetitive) are something Tata isn’t really concerned about fixing at all. I’m surprised Harrier / Safari has so many issues that’s existent even to this date! I really feel sorry for the owner and hope the bhpian gets his resolution soon enough.

My suggestion - get an engine swap done, use it for sometime and if you still feel uncomfortable, sell it with a depreciation hit and get a better car (pre-owned preferably) to compensate for the depreciation hit. This is now a deal that you’ve to make with the Devil (dealer / OEM) themselves!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 12:58   #47
VVN
BHPian

Wow. This is exactly why cars from Hyudai and Maruti sell. Sure they are unsafe but whats the point of all those stars when you can't drive it and/or are stranded in the middle of the road on a highway? My blood boils when I don't get a proper bill while checking out from a hotel, I can't even imagine the frustration the OP is going through after spending 25L. Worst part is the helplessness because we are at the mercy of these dealers who behave like typical politicians - they will lick our feet while we make the decision to buy the car and once the car is bought, their ego swells up at a pace that would put F1 cars to shame. Sure there are niggles and failures but TML owes the OP a new car. Simple! Why would someone live with a faulty car for no fault of theirs? Shame on Tata for their response!!
VVN is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:17   #48
BHPian

It's very unfortunate that this had to happen. Getting yourself a harrier was a big purchase and it was always implicit that there would be minor issues which you must've outweighed by the mere ride quality the car had on offer.

But the engine getting replaced is definitely a big dent in the ownership experience and also raises a lot of "told you so" statements from a lot of kith and kin. I can't imagine how frustrating and embarassing it must feel to not be able to defend your choice of car anymore.

At this point of time, i can only advice that you go with engine replacement and try to put everything behind.

Hopefully your ownership from now on will be fuss free* ( T & C applicable as it's a tata ).

On a serious note , please be very cautious and observant with your replacement engine for first 10,000 kms. Look out for any issues and raise all possible flags for slightest of reasons.

PS - I'm being a bit on defensive side because there is still no visible solution given to an other safari customer here.

All the time and energy may not be worth fighting for a replacement car

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-months-5.html (Dada Motors takes back defective Tata Safari; no replacement given even after 2 months)

Last edited by r24x7 : 1st July 2022 at 13:28. Reason: Added reference from another thread
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilnitdg View Post
Update:

Yesterday, I got an email from the Regional Managers of Tata Motors Karnataka region that they will not be able to accept my demand of vehicle replacement or even an extension in warranty as its not as per company policy of Tata Motors.
Sorry to hear of the ordeal you are going through with issues in your Harrier. It is almost clear, that TAMO will not replace the car, nor they are agreeing for giving extended warranty (which they should give as a goodwill gesture). So your options are limited. So take a positive approach and If team from TAMO has recommended engine change, then this should definitely solve the vibrations at idling issue. ASC would be replacing a pre-assembled engine, and they are not going to assemble the engine at ASC, so engine replacement should not be a very complicated task, and it should cause any issues in future. Just ask them to put their best men for the job. Prerana Motors is better TASC than other TASCs.

After engine replacement, if you are satisfied with the car, don't forget to purchase extended warranty. If you are not satisfied, then sell it off and buy something from another manufacturer.

Quote:
I have asked them of details about the problem in previous Engine and why they want to change it in an email to which I am awaiting response.
I am not even sure if the Idle vibration issue will be solved by change in Engine as they are not giving any details about the problem. All they said is the plant team has checked and recommended that Engine replacement will solve the vibration issue in the car.
Don't worry about the rrot cause analysis. It might be a bad engine shipped from FCA and which might have escaped QC check at TAMO.

Once i had got one of my issues resolved when I dropped an email directly yo Mayank Pareek, while regional office was not helping. It got resolved in a single day. You can get email of higher-ups in TAMO and try your luck asking to replace your car or atleast give extended warranty as a goodwill gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I will NEVER in my life buy a Tata vehicle - No matter how many stars it gets in the Global NCAP!
Believe me, those stars save your life at time of accident. Even though my Tata Safari Storme was not GNCAP tested, but was supposed to be a strongly built vehicle, and I am alive today because of good build of Storme. Had it been any other car in the same price range, the result would have been something different. I will surely buy higher safety star rated cars be it from Tata or Mahindra or any other. The niggles and issues can be fixed/sorted out, but one needs to be alive to enjoy life and cars. You need every small thing to go in your favour, when the accident is with a big truck. So, my friend, stars do make a big difference.
speed79 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
- Very low high speed stability
Sorry to read about your ordeal, could you elaborate on this point.

I can definitely understand your pain as my wife drives a Hexa which has so many issues and had a horrendous experience with service centers where ever it was serviced. Hope your issues are resolved.
Old 1st July 2022, 13:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Want help from Team BHP to highlight my plight and provide me suggestions and next course of action that I could take from my side
I would suggest you to go the legal route and get yourself a new car or a refund along with compensation for all the harrassment and mental torture you faced. I know it will take time but Tata has to be punished for its behaviour.

There are many cases where the consumer court has ordered car companies to replace defective vehicles. Here's one of them:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...-7989715/lite/
CarNerd is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:58   #52
BHPian

I personally feel you should get out of this situation ASAP. Hell its stressing me out reading about your ordeal. Ideally it should be a car swap. But that seems near impossible given the sheer lack of TATA's commitment towards ones own headliner product. End this association immediately.
The suggestion (deal with the devil) by @gururajrv is very appropriate as an immediate resort. Just move as further away as possible from TAMO.
If you are inclined towards it, you can and should sue them to kingdom come, if you are ready to sit in and hold out for long.
Old 1st July 2022, 15:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
This is where Mahindra excels while Tata fails at premium SUV offering area. Is it that difficult for Tata to just assemble an engine that’s borrowed and not built independently like Mahindra does? If chips situation improvise, I’m sure Mahindra’s sales will pick up easily with short delivery span where Tata is now banking on with less tech on offer.

Lack of finesse, quality issues, lack of technicians knowledge over issues diagnosed (mostly repetitive) are something Tata isn’t really concerned about fixing at all. I’m surprised Harrier / Safari has so many issues that’s existent even to this date! I really feel sorry for the owner and hope the bhpian gets his resolution soon enough.

My suggestion - get an engine swap done, use it for sometime and if you still feel uncomfortable, sell it with a depreciation hit and get a better car (pre-owned preferably) to compensate for the depreciation hit. This is now a deal that you’ve to make with the Devil (dealer / OEM) themselves!
May i know what issues you referring to Tata safari/harrier. I also have Safari 2021 , i have not faced a single niggle till date. Regarding software bugs that mahindra xuv700 also have it. Also Tata has been manufacturing excellent cars till date , also let me know what Tata is not able to fix. Tata dealership are doing a great job as of now. Customer care and dealership teams are very eager to listen and rectify the issues if encountered.
Safari_Beast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:47   #54
BHPian

Indeed unfortunate. But let me say be positive, go ahead with the replacement and forget this. You will enjoy life afterwards.

There is nothing much complicated in engine replacement. It comes very well sealed from factory and is just a plug and play. Some bolts would be open and fixed back.

Tata should have offered warranty as goodwill gesture. Don't get into a legal hassle. Go ahead with engine replacement in quickest time possible and look ahead to a good ownership experience.
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
So, my friend, stars do make a big difference.
Agreed that safety should be the top priority, however not at the expense of one's peace of mind. I have been driving a 0 star rated car for over 15 yrs now. Recently moved to Swift which is just 2 stars. Regardless, the ownership experience has been simply awesome. Maruti ASS is amazing. I will never buy a Tata car no matter how many stars it gets in NCAP.
kushagra452 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 18:31   #56
BHPian

Off Topic - Why can't M&M sell their MHawk and MStallion engines to TML?
By doing so,
1. both the Indian players can keep competition at bay.
2. vehicles from both the stables can be priced even more competitively.
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 19:48   #57

Quote:

This is what I receive as the RCA details in 3 lines

"With respect to the complaint of vibration on steering on idle condition, as updated to you on daily basis all the parameters related to electrical, fuel system, steering system and mountings has been checked and the observed feedback has been shared with our technical team.

As advice by our technical team, replacement of engine assembly will resolve the issue and ensure the performance of the vehicle will be in line with other harrier vehicles "
Keeping all things aside, the response from the dealership reeks of indifference. This doesn't look like an RCA from any angle. Please ask for a detailed documentation of what all problems were diagnosed, what was done to alleviate them and how installing a new engine on a few months old car would solve all the problems you've mentioned.

Plus this needs to be taken up to the highest possible authority at Tata Motors, possibly adding a link to this post of yours; copy them in every single interaction. Keep all options open including taking the dealership/Tata Motors to the consumer forum.
Old 1st July 2022, 19:49   #58

It is quite upsetting to know that you too had a poor Tata experience.
I own a Tata Altroz, which in its fifth month had a catastrophic failure demanding the replacement of parts costing over 5 lakh, or more than half the cost of the vehicle .

You can find more about the issue my Altroz had on this page:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...e-exhaust.html (Tata Altroz: RPM skyrockets with an insane level of smoke from the exhaust)

Got weary after battling for nearly two months to replace my car or even obtain a decent justification from them for the problem. I did, however, received a 2-year extended warranty. For the most part you won't get a replacement. I too tried a lot. It was even serious than yours, but they didn't. From what they've said, there is no option as such to replace a car. I attempted to mail each and every MD at Tata Motors, but to no use.

Even the regional manager treated me disrespectfully over the phone after I inquired about the source of the car's unpleasant odour. The majority of them appear to have little regard for clients.

Even after I had my car back, there were still a number of serious problems with it. Have to get them fixed asap. You have the power to get things done till you get the car back from the service center. Therefore, if you haven't yet taken delivery of the car, please wait until you have got acceptable justifications. They'll have to answer to you to get the burden out of them. Prior to signing any documents, do a long test drive. Be with an intention to find at least a minor problem.

Because I was unable to obtain adequate explanations for the issues my car was experiencing, I left it at the workshop for over two weeks after the repairs were completed, forcing them to find a solution for me. Also that made a senior manager intervene in my case too.

Posting on Tata's Facebook page is another good option. You'll get immediate response there. As no outsiders are aware of this, I'm presuming they don't really care about emails. However, posting on their own Facebook page will compel them to answer right away. This assisted me in getting someone from Tata to take on my case instead of just these regional managers. Because I didn't take delivery of the car, the service center made the independent decision to charge me parking fees. I then shared it on Facebook, which prompted them to reverse their course.

You won't get a replacement for the most part. So get them repaired well.

Good Luck!

Last edited by jomgeorge : 1st July 2022 at 20:01.
jomgeorge is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 19:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

I wanted to highlight the hardships I am facing to resolve issues and niggles on my Tata Harrier XZA Purchased in Dec 2021. After spending nearly 1.5 months of 6 months ownership at the service center, now the company is asking me to replace the engine on the car!
Well its high time automobile manufacturers start taking us Indian customers seriously. If such an issue was to happen in west somewhere, the customer wouldn't get harassed like this. Tata Motors of all should know better if they want to repair the broken image they have since the Indica days. Their products are excellent but their quality checks and after sales experience remains a pain in the neck.

Good that you have already sued them in the consumer forum. More of us should make use of the facility that the state has provided for protection of consumer rights. I also believe that they are shooting in the dark by suggesting an engine replacement. What if even that doesn't solve it? Even if it does for reasons unfathomable to me, the car was plagued by these issues since day 1. That is plainly unacceptable. I would only suggest you to get your money back, if not, get the car replaced at the very least with warranty starting from day of delivery of the replacement.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 21:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Off Topic - Why can't M&M sell their MHawk and MStallion engines to TML?
I too had the exact same thoughts or rather should I say a wish. Why can’t TML and M&M pull off a joint venture or components/part sharing? Imagine the mHawk/mStallion engine in a Harrier/Safari

Coming to the original topic, FCA engine is good and reliable. It’s doing duty in Jeep Compass/Meridian, MG Hector/Hector+ apart from Harrier/Safari. This is a specific case of a defective engine which can happen with any component. However the way the issue is handled by the dealer and TML is appalling.
techmotor is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks