Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 13:23   #31
BHPian

Re: 2017 Tata Hexa owner gets Rs. 2.41 lakh bill for automatic transmission replacement after 54,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"Warranty" which covers mechanical faults & "Insurance" which protects you against accidents, fire etc. are two different things.
This is correct for an individual owner of an automobile.

Currently there are no insurance policies to cover electrical and mechanical breakdown of automobiles available for individual owner of an automobile.

However there is an entire department of general insurance known as Engineering Insurance Polices which can be used to cover electrical and mechanical breakdowns.

As individuals we can avail this to cover our commercial machines or domestic appliances ( Eg. a CNC Machine or a Washing Machine ).

As far as I am aware a similar thing is available for OEMs of automobiles to provide warranty coverage for customers. For example if you make a warranty claim for a large item such as an automatic gearbox, chances are ultimately the bill is footed by an insurance company.
The Mechanic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:24   #32
BHPian

Re: 2017 Tata Hexa owner gets Rs. 2.41 lakh bill for automatic transmission replacement after 54,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
To be honest, we don't know the other side of the story. Maybe some coolant / ATF lines were hit or some other damage. What I see is a very reasonable cost of AT transmission which is around 1.88L including labour.
Just curious, are the MT gearboxes far simpler, robust and lower cost vs AT? What are the chances of MT failure and replacement / repair cost in a similar situation?
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
This is correct for an individual owner of an automobile.
However there is an entire department of general insurance known as Engineering Insurance Polices which can be used to cover electrical and mechanical breakdowns.
What you're describing can only cover Business owners. This sort of coverage can be provided by mechanical breakdown insurance policies; the policyholder will need to have a business in which the automobile is an essential part of the entire business model.

Please refer to this example; note that the URL falls under commercial insurance - https://www.libertyinsurance.in/comm...ing-insurance/
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
What you're describing can only cover Business owners.
Nope, any individual can get such policies.
For Example you can get a Machinery Break Down Insurance for your home Diesel Generator set, water pump or an Electronic Equipment Insurance for your home TV, Washing Machines etc. although as you are recommended to go for package polices like Home Owner's policy for appliances like TV, Fridge etc.

Quote:
This sort of coverage can be provided by mechanical breakdown insurance policies; the policyholder will need to have a business in which the automobile is an essential part of the entire business model.

Please refer to this example; note that the URL falls under commercial insurance - https://www.libertyinsurance.in/comm...ing-insurance/
Again nope, at-least as far as I am aware no road going vehicle ( ie. with a number plate ) is eligible for any form of Machinery Breakdown Insurance.

However, things like Mini diggers/excavators which are not road legal and are thus treated as machinery can avail some form of MBD and Fire Policies

If such a provision exists where a person or entity can avail Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for road going vehicles if they have a business in which the automobile is an essential part of the entire business model, kindly share the name of the policy and if possible its standard wordings
Old 27th June 2022, 17:43   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, any individual can get such policies.
For Example you can get a Machinery Break Down Insurance for your home Diesel Generator set, water pump or an Electronic Equipment Insurance for your home TV, Washing Machines etc...
Here are some of the machinery breakdown wordings & web pages I could find from India. They are all about commercial insurance and concerning the probable breakdown of machines run by factories/plants.

https://www.irdai.gov.in/ADMINCMS/cm...20Wordings.pdf

https://www.hdfcergo.com/commercial-...y#coverd-n-not

https://orientalinsurance.org.in/mac...surance_policy

Quote:
Again nope, at-least as far as I am aware no road going vehicle ( ie. with a number plate ) is eligible for any form of Machinery Breakdown Insurance.

However, things like Mini diggers/excavators which are not road legal and are thus treated as machinery can avail some form of MBD and Fire Policies

If such a provision exists where a person or entity can avail Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for road going vehicles if they have a business in which the automobile is an essential part of the entire business model, kindly share the name of the policy and if possible its standard wordings
You're right - vehicles with specialty applications (e.g., backhoes, bulldozers) will probably qualify, not road going vehicles. The latter will need to be covered for third party liability, collision/comprehensive & Uninsured motorist risks via standard Commercial Auto policies.

But, in the American insurance market, it looks like private individuals have access to the kind of product you are describing. Here's an American URL -

https://www.valuepenguin.com/car-ins...hould-i-get-it

There's nothing in India that I could find. Nor have I heard of any such product in India in my line of work (Insurance Consulting).
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 19:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some of the machinery breakdown wordings & web pages I could find from India. They are all about commercial insurance and concerning the probable breakdown of machines run by factories/plants.

https://www.irdai.gov.in/ADMINCMS/cm...20Wordings.pdf

https://www.hdfcergo.com/commercial-...y#coverd-n-not

https://orientalinsurance.org.in/mac...surance_policy
All these are Standard MBD policies. Any individual can take these to cover machinery that they own or is responsible for its breakdowns. It need not be a commercial situation.

Quote:
You're right - vehicles with specialty applications (e.g., backhoes, bulldozers) will probably qualify, not road going vehicles. The latter will need to be covered for third party liability, collision/comprehensive & Uninsured motorist risks via standard Commercial Auto policies.

But, in the American insurance market, it looks like private individuals have access to the kind of product you are describing. Here's an American URL -

https://www.valuepenguin.com/car-ins...hould-i-get-it
Can't comment on USA market, my experience is limited to Indian Insurance.

Quote:
There's nothing in India that I could find. Nor have I heard of any such product in India in my line of work (Insurance Consulting).
Check this link

https://www.iffcotokio.co.in/home-in...otector-policy

Kindly go through what it covers, this is a package policy and it offers similar coverage as electronic equipment insurance for home appliances in case of electrical or mechanical breakdown.

You can alternatively take electronic equipment insurance alone and insure all such items in one policy.
The Mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:55   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All these are Standard MBD policies. Any individual can take these to cover machinery that they own or is responsible for its breakdowns. It need not be a commercial situation.
These are all commercial insurance policies sir. As long we are talking here, we must stick to the facts and maintain rectitude.

Quote:
https://www.iffcotokio.co.in/home-in...otector-policy

Kindly go through what it covers, this is a package policy and it offers similar coverage as electronic equipment insurance for home appliances in case of electrical or mechanical breakdown.

You can alternatively take electronic equipment insurance alone and insure all such items in one policy.
This is a typical inland marine insurance policy, also called as a Collections policy by some insurers. Yes, this covers 12 categories of home contents that are different from run-of-the-mill furniture and fittings...but it doesn't cover automobile breakdowns

The moral of our story is - the US has Mechanical Breakdown Insurance that's available to private automobile owners, which will reimburse them such as when their automatic transmission unit goes kaput; such as the Hexa's AT gearbox did on this thread.

India has no such products. What a pity.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:09   #38
BHPian

Note to mods:- If mods think we are deviating too much from main topic, kindly move all these general insurance posts to another thread. It might become handy for everyone to raise queries in case they want to take insurance for their assets other than automobiles.

Quote:
These are all commercial insurance policies sir. As long we are talking here, we must stick to the facts and maintain rectitude.
No sirs here my friend, these are referred to as "commercial insurance", but any individual can use them to cover their assets that can be bought under the coverage provided by the policy.

Quote:
This is a typical inland marine insurance policy, also called as a Collections policy by some insurers.
I am qualified to handle and do handle insurance claims for insurers ( In India ) in multiple departments, one of the department I do handle is Marine Cargo and with that experience I can assure you that this is not a Marine Insurance policy.

Quote:
Yes, this covers 12 categories of home contents that are different from run-of-the-mill furniture and fittings...but it doesn't cover automobile breakdowns
Correct, that was my point from the beginning, as an individual there are insurance policies that you can take to cover accidental damage, mechanical or mechanical breakdown etc. of your home appliances, but no policies are available for an individual person to cover mechanical and electrical breakdown of their automobile.

Quote:

The moral of our story is - the US has Mechanical Breakdown Insurance that's available to private automobile owners, which will reimburse them such as when their automatic transmission unit goes kaput; such as the Hexa's AT gearbox did on this thread.

India has no such products. What a pity.
Thank You for that Information, as I stated earlier, my experience is limited to Indian insurance sector. However if some of the rumors are to be believed, we will be seeing the emergence of multiple new Insurers in the country in the near future, may be one of them will start to offer such polices.
Old 12th July 2022, 14:59   #39
BHPian

While this is a very disheartening post of a big financial loss to the OP, I guess he had it coming. Buying a Tata product and not buying extended warranty is asking for trouble. In fact I would go so far as to say that a Tata product that is out of its warranty period is comparable to a ticking time bomb. Who knows when it may blast
Old 12th July 2022, 18:44   #40
kkg
BHPian

My In-laws have a Dec 2107 Hexa AT which just completed Spiti trip last month and it's AC compressor conked off mid way. Everyone onboard including my 10 year Daughter had to bear 3 days without AC and they were all exhausted at the end.

Although they were all praise for the comfort and abilities of the Hexa, still a critical part failing in just 4.5 yrs is just not excusable.And the car is just 60k kms run. The bill to rectify AC along with its annual service came to Rs52k.

And as far as I am concerned, the only thing worried me, when I heard that Hexa has a problem, it should not be A Gearbox Failure because I had just seen one last month at my FNG and a used one was sourced and put in. The bill was around 1.2 lacs and still the creep function was not working.

And yes, Two tyres were sacrificed on Spiti trip as is the norm with every XT/XTA that comes with 19 inchers and they were just 6months old bought for 13k/ piece.
kkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"Warranty" which covers mechanical faults & "Insurance" which protects you against accidents, fire etc. are two different things. Regardless of whether OP had taken engine & gearbox coverage in his insurance, it wouldn't have made a difference. Insurance policies don't pay for manufacturing / mechanical defects.
I completely Concur. This was the First Question that came to my mind when the Owner mentioned his Hexa is 4½ years old and done around 55000 Kms only. At the time of purchase, TML gave the opportunity to purchase Extended warranty covering the Vehicle for 5 years and 1.5 Lakh Kilometers (whichever is earlier), which frankly, is a reasonably good deal.
However, be that as it may, my sincere sympathies with the owner who has had to face this big hit on his pocket. All i can say is it is money well spent because Hexa is a vehicle that is really worth retaining. One piece of advice, please try and negotiate some kind of warranty specifically for the Transmission and also ensure that their is proper technical oversight by a competent technician from TML during the repair and a detailed check of all other associated components and systems is done before you accept the vehicle. It may take a little more time, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.
Good Luck.
All the best and regards.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2022 at 21:20. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 13th July 2022, 21:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
In the Tata Hexa telegram group I saw some cases of engine coolant and gear oil getting mixed. Maybe under certain circumstances it happens. Have heard of few gearbox failures as well so it's not a one off case but rare one. I think the car might be out of extended warranty. Not sure how consumer court can help if it's out of warranty. The key thing for other owners is to keep a check on this aspect during service. I have also seen some owners proactively changing the gearbox oil but those were 1lakh plus km driven cars. But issues can happen. I have had engine issues in few of our Maruti made cars which were less than 1lakh km driven.
I think the OP did the right thing by going for a change of gearbox, still makes financial sense. Hope there is a warranty on the new gearbox.
You are right! I am also an Aug 2018 Hexa owner and have read about the recent spate of AT failures reported on the THOR (Hexa Telegram group) as well. The problem seems to be originating from the Intercooler. So is there a case for a thorough check of the component and if need be, a preventive replacement as a measure of eminent caution? Not sure about the cost imperatives though. Plan to check during my next visit to TASS in a few days time. Will provide feedback on this thread.
Old 14th July 2022, 10:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theZULU View Post
You are right! I am also an Aug 2018 Hexa owner and have read about the recent spate of AT failures reported on the THOR (Hexa Telegram group) as well. The problem seems to be originating from the Intercooler. So is there a case for a thorough check of the component and if need be, a preventive replacement as a measure of eminent caution? Not sure about the cost imperatives though. Plan to check during my next visit to TASS in a few days time. Will provide feedback on this thread.
Costs around 10k. I think any car reaching 50k + kms can do this check and if necessary change it proactively.
The thing is TASS doesn't do this check proactively.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 11:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Costs around 10k. I think any car reaching 50k + kms can do this check and if necessary change it proactively.
The thing is TASS doesn't do this check proactively.
Thanks mate! Since my Vehicle has touched 70000 yesterday i am going to ask TASS to change it. 10K is a small price to pay for peace of mind!
Additionally, i also plan to flush out the Coolant to check its condition (color) and replace with fresh Coolant as also replace all external rubber hosepipes without waiting for them to fail.
Old 20th July 2022, 13:10   #45

Hello.
I am also a fellow hexa owner ( recently purchased used).
I have spoken to a parts dealer in ahmedabad who has Hexa auto box available for 1Lakh rupees. You may contact him at 8000973583. He will take your old AT box for exchaneg.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks