Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 11:28   #1
BHPian

Paint defect in my brand-new Tata Altroz DCA

Hi BHPians,

I am writing this with my heavy heart. This is regarding our first car in the family. We booked Tata Altroz XZ+ DCA (white) on April 24th in Manickbag Automobiles, Hubli. Being a newbie it was very exciting for all of us. Around last week of May, the executive called me and said the car has arrived at the stockyard and I need to make the payment. I went to showroom and insisted that I need to do a PDI before making the payment. I went along with my friend and checked the vehicle for more than an hour. It seems all fine.

I was told that I would get the delivery by next weekend. I agreed and made the full payment in the next 2 days. Just 2 days before delivery, I was told that RTO website is not working and I need to wait for few more days. Finally after 4 days, I got a call and was told that I could take the delivery on June 6th. I agreed.

I went with my parents and they took 2 hours to give the car delivery. They didn't give me wearable key band which comes with top-end model of Altroz. Upon asking, they said it's not that useful and there's some shortage at their end. With new car in front me, I let it go. The car seemed fine (or I didn't get chance to touch and look each part carefully with the delivery guys making it hurry)

While cleaning my car after 2 days with a wet cloth, I found that the surface at the right rear wheel arch is very rough. Upon looking carefully at an angle, I could see some 2-3 scratches inside that rough surface. I came to know immediately that something is fishy. I complained to TATA customer care via email. There is no response (not even acknowledgement mail) at all from TAMO. After 2 days, I CCed Mr. Mehta, head of customer care and sent the mail again. After few minutes, I got a call from my Hubli dealer and she asked what's the need to write a mail complaint. She asked me to bring the car to showroom.

I took the car to showroom on Saturday. The service center guys, including manager inspected it and said they would fix it. They said they would claim warranty too. Upon asking why it had happened and to my question to seek if they repainted it to make up for the scratch that might be caused by them, they didn't respond clearly and said this happens during manufacturing itself. Without any choice, I agreed for the fixing work. I took the car next weekend as I needed to go to outstation on that day and I couldn't keep tha car for 2 days.

I went to showroom again yesterday to collect my car. They had fixed the rough surface nicely. I tried to examine other areas as well. Shockingly, other areas felt rough too. That too, on the right side of the car itself and front bumper.

I escalated this and the service guy came and took my car immediately while I was talking to them, saying he would fix this in 10 minutes. I was trying to find manager but he wasn't there. I went to repair area, there I could see them applying thinner to my car hurrily. He asked me to check it but I could feel it is nowhere near to a decent finish. He tried to send me back giving some silly reasons that it will go away when I wash the car. I insisted that I need to talk to manager and waited in the lobby. After sometime manager arrived and I explained to him everything. I even took him to another new white Altroz standing right beside us to make him realise the difference. He didn't even bothered to touch that Altroz. He talked to service guys and asked them to do full polish and vanished.

They asked me to sit outside but I refused and stood there itself, making sure that they do the polishing uniformly throughout the car. I was touching each area and asking them to do the polish. I was looking like a stupid for them, running to each corner and inspecting it to make sure that it is covered. After 30 minutes, they made it ready and I drove back to my home.

Sorry for the long post. But this is essential for one to know what's happened in the background. Still, I am not clear what's the reason behind this issue in a brand new car. What if my car paint starts to fade after 2-3 years due to such frequent touch-ups? I am clueless and there's not even a single official statement from Tata Motors.

I need your suggestions. What can be done? If nothing could be done more than this, I am ready to end this here but I am afraid in future it might throw some serious problem.
Paint defect in my brand-new Tata Altroz DCA-20220611_112911.jpg
sany0023 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Paint defect in my brand-new Tata Altroz DCA

You have the team's PDI form handy. Did you not do a thorough inspection of the car before making full payment? These are pretty common issues these days. Someone would have driven the car near the yard and tried to cover up a scratch or a dent/s. Please inspect the interiors properly, in case you suspect something, ensure to take it up with TAMO higher ups on emails and do not forget to take pictures/videos of the car and conversations you have with the dealer guys. This is not a big problem, do not worry. Enjoy your new car. Good luck.
Raghu M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like your car was damaged at dealers place before the delivery. They did a quick shady fix and delivered it to you. Please check the internal side of each repainted area for any mechanical damage/breakage. Ask them to repaint if you are not happy with the current finish.

Edit: That paint finish looks very bad.

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th June 2022 at 12:58.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
You have the team's PDI form handy. Did you not do a thorough inspection of the car before making full payment? These are pretty common issues these days. Someone would have driven the car near the yard and tried to cover up a scratch or a dent/s. Please inspect the interiors properly, in case you suspect something, ensure to take it up with TAMO higher ups on emails and do not forget to take pictures/videos of the car and conversations you have with the dealer guys. This is not a big problem, do not worry. Enjoy your new car. Good luck.
During PDI, I haven't found any issue. I checked the vehicle for more than 1 hour. This happened in the 1 week gap between PDI and delivery. I suspect the dealer took 2 extra days to cover up this saying RTO website issue. God knows, what mess this guys created in that period.
sany0023 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sany0023 View Post
During PDI, I haven't found any issue. I checked the vehicle for more than 1 hour. This happened in the 1 week gap between PDI and delivery. I suspect the dealer took 2 extra days to cover up this saying RTO website issue. God knows, what mess this guys created in that period.
Could be the case most likely. During the time the vehicle was in the yard, someone might have banged it around. They took additional time to cover up. I don't think anything can be done now as they have done some paint job and delivered it to you. Not to worry, these issues are pretty normal these days.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 13:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Could be the case most likely. During the time the vehicle was in the yard, someone might have banged it around. They took additional time to cover up. I don't think anything can be done now as they have done some paint job and delivered it to you. Not to worry, these issues are pretty normal these days.
But the mystery is initially the problem was only at the rear wheel arch. After they fixed it up, that rough surface showed up on more areas as well, including front bumper side. I am pretty sure that it was not there before.
sany0023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 23:01   #7
BHPian

Paint defect in my brand-new Tata Altroz DCA-20220628_133904.jpg
Paint defect in my brand-new Tata Altroz DCA-20220628_133820.jpg

Found this one too. There's a huge difference in paint. The dealer is saying it is a polish compound. Can anyone makeout what it is?
sany0023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 23:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I suspect the dealer took 2 extra days to cover up this saying RTO website issue.
This is what I suspect too. There's a chance someone scratched it while moving it around and they quickly covered it up. Try worse possibility is a shoddy dent repair, see if you can investigate the back side of the panel for any signs or maybe get an FNG to check? Not much can be done now either way, except for trying to escalate the matter and seeing if they offer some compensation.

Quote:
Can anyone makeout what it is?
Looks like either a scratch or some kind of other pigment rubbing off on the paint job. Can you take a clearer, more head on photo of it?

These issues are becoming more and more common these days, and even more so with Tata!

Last edited by Porcupine : 28th June 2022 at 23:23.
Old 28th June 2022, 23:48   #9
BHPian

Paint defect in my brand-new Tata Altroz DCA-screenshot_20220628233354_gallery.jpg

Paint defect in my brand-new Tata Altroz DCA-screenshot_20220628234033_gallery.jpg

Took 1 close-up photo. There is clear demarcation line below which the shade is on the pinker side.
While browsing the pics, I got one pic from my gallery which was taken during delivery day. One can see the clear paint difference.

Recent update is, got a call from TAMO, and they said they would do proper polishing and repaiint is not required. They even picked up my vehicle.

I suspect that the issue is at the paint level and can't be solved completely just by polishing work. Need your opinions.
sany0023 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 00:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2326643

Attachment 2326652

Took 1 close-up photo. There is clear demarcation line below which the shade is on the pinker side.
While browsing the pics, I got one pic from my gallery which was taken during delivery day. One can see the clear paint difference.

Recent update is, got a call from TAMO, and they said they would do proper polishing and repaiint is not required. They even picked up my vehicle.

I suspect that the issue is at the paint level and can't be solved completely just by polishing work. Need your opinions.
More or less, white Altroz seems to be most affected by shoddy paint job. I haven’t seen any post here or outside where there are paint imperfections with any other colour.
Old 29th June 2022, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Update : The TAMO offical and service manager said they would do detailed polishing. They are saying painting is not needed anywhere. Need to wait and check what they do. If finishing is not proper even then what I can demand? Please let me know. I feel it's better to escalate and take legal action if they fail to do it. They are washing my car with thinner like water and need to stop this asap else they would ruin my car completely.
sany0023 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 00:28   #12
BHPian

IMO, get it inspected with any trusted FNG. While the paint itself or set of scratches is not something you should lose sleepover, you should look out for more issues with backside of the panel and underbody. These show rooms have tactics of hurrying and delaying to coverup some issue at their side.
Old 30th June 2022, 11:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
During PDI, I haven't found any issue. I checked the vehicle for more than 1 hour. This happened in the 1 week gap between PDI and delivery.
From this experience, I think there should be one more addition to PDI list i.e. 'To take photo of the car from all angles as a proof'.
IP_Man is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 07:11   #14
BHPian

One thing you could try is use the paint depth gauge on all the panels and will confirm if the car was painted at dealership. Try visiting any FNG or a good detailer who have the gauge available. Once they confirm any panel has been repainted click a picture and take the matter up with TATA motors.
nik0502 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks