Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 12:27   #1
BHPian

Excessive vibrations from Harrier engine | EDIT: Tata & dealer replacing the car!

Hello Fellow Bhpians,

My Harrier XZA automatic which has done 6k kms on odometer started having weird vibrations during engine idle after the second free service.
I gave the vehicle to the Prerna motors service center in Bangalore with complaint of slight screeching sound from engine. They replaced the Auxilliary belt and idler belt. It also had some vibrations but only during 45 degree turns which I suspected due to hydraulic pump issue. I have raised a separate thread for that. They did steering bleeding and sent the car back

After I drove the vehicle I found a new issue cropped up, this time I could feel the vibrations on the steering during engine idle. I realized that as I put the car in D mode there is a lot of vibrations I feel on the steering. Even in P mode the vibrations are more and can be felt on the steering.

I took the car to the center again and as usual they said it’s normal on harrier. But I showed them on a new car standing there and the issue was not present in that car. I could also feel more engine noise coming into the cabin and the other car felt much more silent.

I asked them to check error codes to see any engine misfire but the codes were clean.

They have promised to check the vibrations issue again when I send my car for hydraulic pump replacement in few days.

Just wanted to check what could be the issues as the SE was kind of clueless.

The RPM on engine idle is 1k, which in my view is normal, could it be because of the idler and auxiliary belt they changed recently ??
Please do suggest what could be the issue
kapilnitdg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 22:55   #2
BHPian

re: Excessive vibrations from Harrier engine | EDIT: Tata & dealer replacing the car!

Please ask the SC to check the engine mounts.
AG-D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Excessive vibrations from Harrier engine | EDIT: Tata & dealer replacing the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilnitdg View Post
Hello Fellow Bhpians,
replaced the Auxilliary belt and idler belt.hydraulic pump issue....They did steering bleeding and sent the car back....
Aah.. Keywords for Harrier problems. Add idler pulley to the list too.

My buddy's '19 Harrier had the same issue. Randomly would start vibrating at stoplights, especially in Neutral. They changed the idler pulley something...tightening...took a couple of visits to sort it out. Also had a screeching noise when accelerating with full load or at highway speeds.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 13:20   #4
BHPian

Update: have given the vehicle to the service center, waiting for them to diagnose the issue. I have asked them to check for idler pulley as suggested.
Any other details for me to pin point the source of vibrations would be very helpful
kapilnitdg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 21:32   #5
BHPian

Hello Bhpian’s

After spending 7 days at the SC the car is back. The vibration issue is still present on the car.
The following parts were replaced
Hydraulic pump - this was for grr noise on steering turn
High pressure line assy
Idler belt - they put a new belt and said vibrations are gone
When I checked the car I could still feel lot of vibrations on the steering wheel.

Need some technical advice on what could be the issue. Attaching the video for your reference

Thanks
kapilnitdg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 10:42   #6
CSA

Check Right Side Engine Mount and Left Side Gearbox Mount. Mounts become hard with time maybe its premature part failure. Kindly replace mounts first and confirm.
CSA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 22:37   #7
BHPian

Came across this on YouTube. Complaints discussed here seemed familiar.

It's in Tamil completely but the gist of it is that problem was fixed with a TCU replacement.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 20:13   #8
BHPian

The following parts have been replaced this time
Steering Rack assembly
Steering pump
Engine mounts
They returned the car today but the excessive vibration issue is as is

It’s such a shame all these issues are happening on a car that has just done 6k kms and tata technical team has no clue what could be the problem

Need help from BHpians to get the issue resolved. Can someone please advice how should I proceed on this
kapilnitdg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 20:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Take the car on a highway run and let it run at high engine speed for sometime once engine is warmed up. Let us know if there is any improvement.
Old 21st June 2022, 21:03   #10
BHPian

It's a shame that so many parts are being changed unnecessarily. Please let the engine run in, it is just 6k kms; vibrations will go down as the car completes 10k.
Did they change the oil after the second free service? If yes, you have the answer.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 21st June 2022 at 21:05.
Old 21st June 2022, 21:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
^ Take the car on a highway run and let it run at high engine speed for sometime once engine is warmed up. Let us know if there is any improvement.
Ok, so how will it help? Can you please explain so that I can be more vigilant when I check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Aah.. Keywords for Harrier problems. Add idler pulley to the list too.

My buddy's '19 Harrier had the same issue. Randomly would start vibrating at stoplights, especially in Neutral. They changed the idler pulley something...tightening...took a couple of visits to sort it out. Also had a screeching noise when accelerating with full load or at highway speeds.
They checked the idler pulley and there was no play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-D View Post
Please ask the SC to check the engine mounts.
Engine mounts are replaced. Issue is still present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
It's a shame that so many parts are being changed unnecessarily. Please let the engine run in, it is just 6k kms; vibrations will go down as the car completes 10k.
Did they change the oil after the second free service? If yes, you have the answer.
No, engine oil was not changed. I compared with other new harrier but the steering is free of vibrations. Even tata motors acknowledged the issue so definitely it’s not normal. I am looking for suggestions on what could be the issue. If you see the video the vibrations are not continuous, it repeats in interval of 4-6 seconds which could signal that engine is not getting continuous supply of air. I am looking for more technical explanation of what could be the possible issues if the vibrations are excessive
Could it be any problem with the ECU as the air intake valve is controlled by the ECU?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st June 2022 at 21:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 21st June 2022, 23:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so how will it help? Can you please explain so that I can be more vigilant when I check.
Perhaps a bit of Italian tune up could work with the injectors, you can have some fun driving while you are at it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 00:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
No, engine oil was not changed. I compared with other new harrier but the steering is free of vibrations. Even tata motors acknowledged the issue so definitely it’s not normal.
Before you try anything more, consume the whole fuel and fill up from another good pump.

As you are clear that the issue cropped up after second service, it could be fuel, air filter, some sensor getting wet.
Basically, you have to undo something that was done in second service.
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Before you try anything more, consume the whole fuel and fill up from another good pump.

As you are clear that the issue cropped up after second service, it could be fuel, air filter, some sensor getting wet.
Basically, you have to undo something that was done in second service.
Agree with your view point. During the second service they changed idler belt and auxiliary belt as there was some screeching noise from the engine bay. After that only the idle vibrations started coming.
I asked them to put the old belt again which they said they tried but the vibrations did not go away. Not really sure what they screwed up while doing that.
Will convey the same point to them again!
Old 26th June 2022, 06:27   #15
BHPian

With the new fuel from a different filling station the problem is as is.
The car is back to the service center, they will check fuel system and then the ECU. Will keep everyone posted of the developments. I have escalated to higher ups in Tata motors. Let’s see if they do something

Most Viewed